Questions about lighting

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Butts, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Butts

Butts Member

After much reading I think my technique has gotten better, but still need some help. What process do you go through when lighting your pipe? I either get just the center of the bowl lit or the outside ring. And how do you keep from burning the hell out of your tongue trying to light?

2. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

I think the important thing to keep in mind is their is no shame in lighting it multiple times. I usually get it going a little and let it go out and then i tamp it down and Repeat. Usually i have to light it twice. Other times it takes three times.

Now this just handles the mechanics of lighting the pipe assuming it is packed correctly and the tobacco is at the right humidity. What tobacco are you smoking?

As for packing it ther should be a little spring to the tobacco. If not is packed too tight which could be causing you to pull a little harder making the tobacco burn hotter and hence burning your tongue.

Remember if your bowl becomes hot in your hands you are puffing too hard. Let it go out, cool down, then a light tamp and relight.

Nima Parsa and dBear like this.
  3. dBear

dBear Active Member

I think Eric pretty well nailed it. The fact that you're not able to get an across-the-bowl light coupled with your comment about burning your tongue makes me think the trouble is caused by the packing of your pipe. However (not knowing how you draw on your pipe) I can also see a too loose pack causing that problem as well as a too tight pack. So experiment with that and go to extremes. If you think you're packing too tight, then pack a bowl way too loosely and see how that changes your lighting. If you think you're packing too light, try really cramming the tobacco in there and see how your light goes.

mitchell, dwaugh and Eric Pierson like this.
  4. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

+1 on Eric's advice.
    Don't hold the flame
    In one spot. Circle
    the top of your bowl
    while puffing. Let it
    go out then light it
    Again.

mitchell likes this.
  5. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I circle the bowl with the flame...and I puff it. No tamp, no relight. I just smoke it until it goes out, and tamp/relight as needed...

mitchell likes this.
  6. buistd

buistd Sales Account

You mention that you don't want to burn your tongue so my suggestion is when you are doing the charring light, only puff enough to char the very top of the tobacco. At that point you don't want to get the flame below the top surface of the tobacco. As others have said, move the lighter around (not necessarily in circles) until you've charred all the tobacco. Tamp gently then hold the flame a little more centrally but still ensure that you're lighting the whole surface and suck the flame into the tobacco. After 3 or 4 deep puffs I am usually up and running. If the flame doesn't take let it go out, tamp again then try lighting again.

The best way is to practice, so smoke as much as you can!

Eric Pierson and dBear like this.
  7. dBear

dBear Active Member

:th1:

8. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Only trying to keep up with the spirit of the forum!

9. derangedhermit

derangedhermit Reclusive member

I notice this too.

Usually on the top light (or two), the center of the load is what stays burning. But deeper in the bowl, a relight often only gets the outside ring going. Is this due to some packing thing? Or just that the middle is burned down more, and what there is to burn is now on the outside?

10. phatdaddynxn

phatdaddynxn Member

I think your packing is the issue. The only way to remedy this is to practice and be patient.

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Pretty much what every one else has said , more or less . Though sometimes during a light or relight , I'll blow into the pipe and have a flame go 3 inches from the bowl . I'm trying to figure what makes me do this but I cant recall any specific reason other than it needs it sometimes . I'll try to be conscious of it next I do it and figure out when the" need " is .

12. Bear84

Bear84 Member

I actually had a guy from a shop tell me to do the same thing years ago when I started out. Best I can figure it's a carry-over technique from cigar guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.