questions... and quite a few

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by jhank, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhank

jhank Member

hi everyone ive been smoking pipes for about a month i started right before i turned 18. Anyways i had a few questions about pipes and tobaccos. Ok so to start off I went to the the local tobacco house and bought a $30 pipe the guy there said that they are just pipes that have defects with them such as fills and what not but they all look good anyways i bought me a tin of bella vanilla and started to smoke it and it was good the first few times. I would let my pipe rest for a day then take the stem off and clean it out with a pipe cleaner put the stem back on and light it up. after a week or so my pipe seemed to start to develop a very gross sower taste, and im wondering what I'm doing wrong because this is happening to my second pipe that im smoking boswells berry cobbler. Oh and what are some tobaccos that you get alot of comments on about the smell or room note.

2. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Did you happen to notice if the inside of the bowl was a natural wood color or if it had been stained the same color as the outside?

How do you store the pipe? In a rest, bowl up, bowl down, in a drawer?

What are the weather conditions like where you store the pipe?

Does the pipe gurgle while you are smoking?

3. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

My humble recommendations. Get off the aromatics.Try a pure uncased burley from Cornell and Diehl such as Big N Burly, and others. Gawith Hoggarth is a blender with some good strong uncased burlies, such as Dark Birdseye, and Kendal Kentucky. Clean your pipe out with pipe cleaners after you smoke it, as soon as it cools. Upgrade your pipe when you can. In the meantime, grab a couple cobs, they will deliver a decent smoke, many times better than a cheap briar. Just my 2ยข.

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I'm puzzled. Seems strange that the sour taste is cropping up so quick if the pipe's been cleaned out after use. Could also simply be that the pipe isn't smoked in yet.

I wonder if the tobacco's been left open for too long and what you are picking up is the underlying tobacco note now that the aromatic essences have dried off - but I'm only guessing.

To double check I'd say go down the route of cleaning with alcohol soaked pipe cleaners run through the pipe till they come out clean - and don't forget to run them down towards the heel and bottom of the bowl.

If no joy then I think I'd second the idea of trying a corn cob,

Good luck

Gerry

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

What everyone else said .. As far as burley goes you may want to try SWR or PA being theyre probably at your food store . If you have the same problem w/ SWR / PA then you'll know it's not the aromatics and you'll have at least tried some straight burley .

6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Do you smoke the tobacco all the way to the bottom? When I first started smoking, I made the mistake of smoking 3/4 of a bowl several times in a row. This left the heel damp and swampy. After a short time, the pipe started tasting nasty.

You can clean the pipe with vodka, whiskey, etc and let it dry for a couple of days. This should kill the bad taste. If you have issues with any of the above, the next question is, do you have a carbon cake?

If not, fill your pipes to 1/3 or 1/2 and smoke them all the way to the bottom before dumping out. Don't knock the ash out, just turn the pipe over and let it fall out. After several partial bowls, let the pipe rest a day & start filling it up. Just make sure you smoke to the bottom so the heel doesn't get swampy and you get a nice cake started.

Once you get a cake around the thickness of a dime, your stank-pipe issues should start going away. Just be sure you run a cleaner after each smoke. I keep cramming cleaners until they come out clean.

7. jhank

jhank Member

I think you may have solved it i have a hard time smoking it all the way down to the bottom it will burn good till about the last 1/4 of the pipe then the thing doesn't want to burn

8. jhank

jhank Member

The bowl is a charcoaly color i store the pipe flat in my truck my parents are not aware my pipes hehe :) It some times gurgles but i think that was only once or twice

9. jhank

jhank Member

The tobacco is only a week old and is sealed good. Ill give this a pipe awhile till i get a thicker cake and then if it is still soury ill just get a country gentlemen

10. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Dry your weed and smoke half bowls for a while.

11. jhank

jhank Member

I let it sit out for a bout 45 min before i smoked it and i got it to burn all the way down but it seems like it wants to die out more

12. idiotbox37

idiotbox37 Member

not a problem, just relight.

13. telltime

telltime Active Member

He can't do this because, according to his admitted age, he doesn't have access to these products.

But he can get some pipe sweetener from the pipe shop.

I recommend storing the pipe up right (bowl down) while it rests. Clean it with a little pipe sweetener occasionally until you're old enough to get a different product. Try the VAs, but keep smoking the tobacco you like. The sweetener will kill the bitterness you are getting.

14. jhank

jhank Member

I can get anything from my local tobbaconist but he woont let any other people my age haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.