1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Questions for a Newb

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Flashcrashbash, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flashcrashbash

Flashcrashbash Member

Hi i want to join the ranks of many proud pipe smokers now i used to smoke ciggarettes and i currently smoke cigars so i KNOW it is something i will enjoy

i dont want to get a cob mainly because i hear they break and burn though the bowl very quickly but im also on a buget (who isnt) so i looked at some things and here is what i decided

http://store.pipesandcigars.com/fullbents.html
    Im dying over the look of these DR.Grabow pipes are they any good?

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/tin.html
    IF heard captain black is good

Keep in mind im looking for something that will last i hate when i buy things and they break just more money that could have been spent looking for a decent one

I have pipe tools and tamps taken care of so all i need is the pipe and tobacco

2. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

I have a Grabow or two and they will treat you very good, but in the same right i also have 6 cobs and i smoke them just about if not more than my briars, just something to look into the cobs are great and cheap, but the Grabow's and just as great and also cheap. Capin Black is good if you get the right kind, i had a bad taste about the gold but the white is very good.

3. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

Dr. Grabow pipes are pretty darn good and I have several in my collection, but be warned that they're filter pipes. That means they require the use of a 6mm paper filter (you can use balsa if you want). You can also ditch the filter all together and the pipes will still smoke well although more free than with the filter. Search the forum for "grabow" and you'll see plenty of reviews. One of our members (ted) might chime in with some insider knowledge.

Don't think too negatively about cobs. I have some that have lasted a very long time. Treat them right and you'll have a good smoker for a long time.

Captain Black isn't bad but there's a world of really good pipe tobacco out there. Check out our Pipe Tobacco forum for a myriad of suggestions. What kind of cigars do you enjoy? There might be something that translates over decently.

4. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

While I haven't smoked a Grabow enough to form an opinion, I can't recall hearing anything bad about them. For the same money, I like Kaywoodies. Just make sure they're real briar and not brylon. All my Kaywoodies smoke like champs and all were had for $25 or less (often much less) apiece.

I like CBW (Captain Black White), but find now I much prefer non-aromatics like Prince Albert. This is one of the easiest smoking, most forgiving and inexpensive pipe tobaccos out there. CH (Carter Hall) is another OTC (drug-store brand) that I reccomend and others also sing the praises of SWR (Sir Walter Raleigh). The nice thing about OTCs is you can usually find pouches for $5 or less.

5. Joew

Joew Member

I just started a few weeks ago myself I have 4 cobs and 6 briars of different manufactures and what I like about cobs is you dont need to break them in and it really dont matter what you smoke in them. I like my briars to but they work best when broken in and you have a decent cake formed. as far as tobaccos all the otc mentioned are affordable and smoke well.

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I've got one grabow , a lark , and it's a damn nice smoking pipe . I always recommend Kaywoodies so I will again . Never a fan of C.B. stuff but can vouch for SWR aromatic as a killer OTC aromatic . The cobs are cool smokers so it couldnt hurt to bag one for a few dollars . I like the country gentleman M.M. cob .... like these .... http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=H&srch=NA&item=cob2952 ... Just think they look cool ya know .... and they smoke real good

7. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

CB white is usually the most preferred CB, and it is even rated as a three star tobacco, the pouch in my glove box serves me well. And i would go with at least one cob, they really do smoke well and will last a long time.

8. woody

woody Admin Admin

I agree with your tobacco recommendations and can give Dr Grabow pipes a thumbs up. :thumbsu:

9. Abe Lincon

Abe Lincon Member

Grabow pipes are darn well, you could also look for a good estate pipe.

10. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

over the past years i have had many dr. grabows and have never regretted owning them--all have been good smokers--my present starfire is the sweetest smoking briar i own--

don't sell a cob short--remember the cash outlay is minimal--if you pay $9 for a cob pipe and it lasts 3 years, that is a good investment--country gentleman, diplomat, or dane spool are good cobs--

i have never smoked capt. black white--can't address that-- good tobaccos for either beginner or old hand alike are carter hall and/or prince albert--they taste like tobacco--if you're wanting something with flavoring look elsewhere

11. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Hello,

I understand where you are at. When I started I bought a basket pipe and smoked it till it almost melted. I have heard only good things about Dr. Grabows. Just watch the filter, they can make a great smoke miserable if you don use the filter adapter or if you don't change them. I think that is true about any filtered pipe.

Cobbs have a huge following and I can't believe they wouldn't if they didn't have their upside. One is definitely the price. They really are hard to beat. I hear they smoke cool and sweet.

Have you looked at Peterson. They are my "go to" cheap pipe. They make expensive ones, but I paid $37 for a Kapet and it smokes like a dream.

Any advice/info/opinion you get in this forum is solid.

Good luck!

Z

12. erickghint

erickghint Member

I'll have to say something about cobs. Don't be so quick to discredit them :) They're cheap, widely available, and you can put just about anything in em without worrying about ghosting or ruining them. They also last quite a bit longer than you would expect. You can pick up 4-6 for the price of a Grabow, and then you'll have a nice rotation. Once you've established technique, then grab yourself a briar. It'll be much better once you have the basics down. Plus, then you can figure out if you're going to stick with smoking a pipe and you're not out a ton of money. That being said, I have a Grabow that I love. They're inexpensive and great little pipes. If you insist on starting with briar, a Grabow is an inexpensive way to do that, and get some bang for your buck.

As to the tobacco... I'm not a huge fan of Capt. Black, personally. I'm not going to say that it's horrible, but it's not something I would go out of my way to smoke. The other OTCs that have been suggested I haven't tried. I will say that if you have a local B&M (brick and mortar store) you should head up there and see what they offer. A lot of times they'll let you sample tobaccos before you buy them, and they can give you some good advice as far as tobacco suggestions.

13. Flashcrashbash

Flashcrashbash Member

Alright i did somemore looken and i found one i like better

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/spgm?dpt=H&srch=KW&item=kaysup04

its a kaywoodie for about 40$ also is the site that its on reputable

also on the same sight im looking to buy a pound of this captain black white BULK tobacco since im uneducated what is bulk tobacco and is it good for the price or trash

14. Pipedan

Pipedan Member

Dr Grabows are great pipes, and I own several of them all estate pipes.
    Not all Dr Grabows are filter pipes if you can find a estate pipe with a yellow logo they are non filter and have a metal stinger.

As For CB I don't mind it at all I love the pouch aroma and it smokes very well no matter how you pack it.
    If you do end up liking CB try Lanes Bulk blend like 1-Q or RLP-6.

15. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I started pipe smoking( 1980's) with cobs and Dr. Grabow's and my fav tobacco at the time was CBW. I would consider maybe one cob and a Dr. Grabow. This way you can experience both types of pipes. CBW is a good tobacco to start with although I really don't like it much anymore. Maybe you can speak with a local Tobacconist and get some recommendations. I also do business with Pipesandcigars and would think about one of the samplers. Just some thoughts. Phil.

16. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Just a thought, Flashcrashbash, if you live in New York, don't order your tobacco from a site that is based in New York. You'll pay way too much in taxes.

17. Flashcrashbash

Flashcrashbash Member

I dont live in new york so im fine but does that also applie to pipes as weel as the tobacco

Speaking of tobacco i want to order a POUND of Captain Black White BULK tobacco mainly because its so cheap so i get 3x amount just for 1 tin!!!...But is bulk tobacco any good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.