Quick fix for carbon?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by DocB, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocB

DocB Active Member

I picked up a couple of estate pipes on the bay, nothing fancy at all. I am just hoping to get a couple of good-smoking yard pipes fixed up. They have significant carbon build-up, to the point that the chamber is "conical" down to the bottom of the bowl. I have my pipe tool scraper, and a dremel. Which should I use to knock some of that cake? Not looking to go back to bare briar, just want to take the top layer off. I don't have a reamer. Next best trick??

2. Capt

Capt Active Member

I have always used a piece 120 grit drywall sand paper rolled up around a pencil to sand the bottom "taper". Please stay away from the Dremel, nothing good can come out of that tool inside a pipe!!!!!!

3. DocB

DocB Active Member

I must confess, I posted the dremel idea with a smile on my face...:beck:

Chuck S and Mark w4mms like this.
  4. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Yeah, I thought so, Dremels and pipes don't play well together!

5. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

The pipe tool will work fine. Scrape back the cake to about the thickness of a coin. Post pics of the pipes!

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

+1

Then later on ... buy a Kleen Reem on Ebay when ya see one[​IMG]

7. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

That's an impressive set of accessories you have there ruff.

8. DocB

DocB Active Member

I sure will, as soon as I have them cleaned up in the next couple of days!!

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Thanks man ... the Kleen Reem is made of really good steel . The newer brand [ I forget the name ] is cheaper quality , but not bad ... just not as good as the Kleen Reem

Mark w4mms likes this.
  10. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Yep, do what you have to now, and get a Kleen Reem when you see one for a deal, you will never need another reamer. They also have a bit that unscrews to clean out the shank, they're like Ghostbusters!

ruffinogold likes this.
  11. Jay

Jay Active Member

Get a reamer, I have one like Ruff posted but it is not the same brand. I always take a new old pipe to bare wood, or as reasonably close as I can. It helps to get rid of the ghosts and let you build a cake with what you smoke, not what some dead guy smoked. And then it is all yours. Crud included from that point on. The coarse sandpaper is a good idea as you work closer to the wood. This is, in my opinion, the best way to bring an estate back to life.

ruffinogold likes this.
  12. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

What about a retort? Wouldn't that get rid of the cake as well as the ghosts?

13. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

A retort would soften the cake a bit, but won't remove it. You can get the same result (soften) with the cotton ball/alcohol treatment...just takes a bit longer. Are you sure that the bowls are not tapered....some are. Go slow with the scraping down there.

I see a lot of negative comments about the dremmel...I have one that's variable speed, and with a sanding drum and low speed, it makes a great carbon remover. Not for the inexperienced, but it sure works for me.

14. shadow

shadow Active Member

The only time I use a dremel is when the mouth piece needs careful drilling. I have a few pipes where it was quite difficult to get a cleaner through the bit and into the bowl. A 1mm drill bit sorted out the problem. Again: Caution is required!
    And sooner or late you just need a reamer! There are all sorts of improvised possibilities to ream the cake but nothing beats the "real thing".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.