quick smokes?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by MrJarvis, Jun 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

Hi,

Im pretty new to this page. (first day)

Whenever I smoke it takes me about 2 hours to finish a full pipe. 1/2 bowl is still an hour. Id like to smoke during my lunches at work, but often I only have about 1/2 hour of real smoking time.

What are your thoughts on starting a pipeful one day, and then finishing it the next day? Is that just gonna be gross?

Help me obi wan kenobis...your my only hope.

2. woody

woody Admin Admin

Topic moved.

3. Spam

Spam Member

My solution would be to half fill, or 1/3rd fill your pipe. Put as much tobacco in as you think you'll smoke in the time you've got available!

MrJarvis and Old Ted like this.
  4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

and maybe treat yourself to one of those dinky little corn cob pipes :)

pipestone and Artistik like this.
  5. Brian

Brian Member

Waiting a whole day seems like the tobacco would dry out a lot in between. There's nothing wrong with filling part way. I like Old Ted's suggestion better though -- buy a normal size corn cob and give that a try. If you get 2 hours from your basic MM Legend, then you need to sign up for one of those competitions. :)

I sometimes smoke 1/3 a bowl from a smaller pipe if I have 20 minutes to wait for a bus or train. I also just carry less expensive (but still tasty) tobaccos around for those quick smokes. If I have to dump out a little pinch at the bottom unsmoked, no huge loss.

Spillproof likes this.
  6. Artistik

Artistik Member

I have a couple of small briar pipes such as the Sav Featherweights that are about a 20 minute smoke, but I like the cobs better. A Legend will last 20-30 minutes.

7. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

so a cob smokes faster? Or you just dont have to worry about dumping out and building a top heavy cake?

8. Morse

Morse Active Member

A number of the cobs - the Legend in particular- have small bowls and would therefore lend themselves to a shorter smoke. Cobs don't smoke any faster -and your pace seems about right to me.

9. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Maybe you're packing it too tight. I still do this all the time and wind up smoking the same bowl for like an hour and a half.

10. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Just find a pipe with a smaller bowl capacity. I have two small ~pocket~ pipes I use for work.

11. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Grab a cob or two or a smaller Dr. Grabow pipe like the Duke or Lark for a shorter full bowl smoke.

Brian, Spillproof and Rewster66 like this.
  12. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

A cob smokes faster -often- because -often- they have smaller than average chambers. They do not inherently speed up the process of smoking, they just don't hold a lot of tobacco and can easily be smoked multiple times a day without negative consequences. When smoking a regular pipe, many people will let it go out and come back to it later, usually the longest delay will be 24 hours between lighting it the first time and finishing it, but most people don't let it sit for more than a couple hours. On the forum we tend to refer to this as DGT, short for Delayed Gratification Technique. Some tobaccos lend themselves to this practice better than others, and some people even claim some blends taste better this way.

Personally I am not fully opposed to the practice, and it sure tastes a heck of a lot better than relighting a cigar (to which I am staunchly opposed). Still, I very rarely DGT a bowl. Relights are usually necessary at some point, but I find all pipe tobaccos in all pipes will taste best if smoked in a single sitting. That said, I do sometimes pack a full sized briar and smoke the first half on my ride in to work and then finish it off over the course of my two breaks. More often I will go for quicker smokes so I can get more enjoyment by smoking a fresher tasting bowl.

Some tips for quicker smokes, which aren't necessarily new in this thread but bear repeating:

1. Get a small chambered bowl. They are often more affordable than larger bowls but not always, and depending on their engineering frquently smoke more quickly. My smaller Stanwell, however, tends to smoke a bit like a larger bowl. If you're going for briar, remember to be careful about not puffing too fast - getting the combustion at too high a temperature can damage the material. A meerschaum will never crack or burn out due to high heat, but it is inherently fragile. A cob CAN burn out, but I've not had this happen. Even if it does, they are so cheap as to be almost disposable, so smoking quickly isn't a big deal so long as you're still enjoying it. A Missouri Meerschaum pipe will usually be less than ten bucks, often significantly so (especially the case for smaller bowl sizes). I highly recommend either a Legend or a Missouri Pride, which are roughly the same size but in a different finish and with different stems.

2. Pick a tobacco which burns easily and effortlessly, and don't pack it too tightly. You can always tamp it down if it's too loose to smoke properly at some point, but a firmly packed bowl will always burn more slowly. Pick a loose-packed blend, avoiding flakes, ropes, plugs, and even most ready rubs. These are more densely prepared and slower to burn. Most OTC burleys are good choices - Prince Albert, Carter Hall, etc., but some exceptions exist such as Granger, which must be smoked slowly and deliberately to taste good, and Sir Walter Raleigh which is something of a ready rub or "crushed plug," as I've heard it described. It's great stuff, but slow to burn. Fine ribbon cuts or even shag tobaccos are good choices - I'm particularly fond of Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.'s Kendal Dark, but their Dark Birdseye is fantastic, too. I also really enjoy Five Brothers for a traditional, very slightly sweet burley flavor. A word of warning, though, many shag tobaccos are rather high in nicotine and may not be for everyone, and they also have the ability to burn hot if you aren't careful.

3. Even using a smaller bowl and loose-cut pipe tobacco, you may wish to pack only partial bowls if you can't finish the pipe - a Legend can easily take me 20-30 minutes to finish if I smoke as slowly as I "should" and my breaks at work are only 15 minutes long. If this is the case, bring a little pouch with some extra tobacco in it - this way you can dump the dottle, run a pipe cleaner and be ready to go again on your next break. If you like nicotine, there are plenty of ribbon/loose cut tobaccos with stength, and if you like aromatics there are plenty of those to choose from as well. If you want something natural in taste which burns easily and is cheap enough to dump if you don't finish it, really PA or CH are the way to go.

I suspect that the drilling has as much to do with the length of a smoke as the chamber size. My BST smokes significantly cooler and more deliberately than any other pipe I own, despite the fact that it does not have a substantially larger chamber. My Peterson System is larger capacity, but smokes faster, and my Savinelli Trevi is about the same size but the BST usually offers an extra fifteen to thirty minutes of smoking time on a regular basis. So some trial and error is to be expected in finding a bowl which lends itself to smoking more quickly. If you truly want a faster smoke, I can't emphasize enough that a very finely cut ribbon tobacco in a cob with a particularly small chamber is probably the way to go.

MrJarvis likes this.
  13. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

Thanks Nesta!

So I do have a meerschaum pipe that I bought a while ago with a smaller bowl, but since i have to smoke outside, I wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not. to be honest, Id love to smoke it more and start working on coloring it, but again, when its only 50 or 60 degrees outside, I was told that would damage the pipe. Thoughts? Also, Ive been advised to rest a pipe 2 days before smoking it again. does the same rule apply to meerschaums, or can I smoke them repeatedly without resting?

14. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

Nonsense and poppycock! I've smoked my meer in below freezing temps, often stepping in and out of the house with no ill effects. I think 60 degrees will be fine. No need to rest the meer either, I sometimes smoke 2-3 bowls back to back. I'd say that a couple of hours is all the rest a meer really needs.

nesta and MrJarvis like this.
  15. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

Great thanks. So here is another question. I understand I am supposed to clean out the bowl after every smoke to avoid caking. What do you use for this? a wet cloth? Just a dry pipe cleaner? please help.

16. user2725

user2725 Active Member

I do that sometimes and really haven't had a problem with it, but you may want to consider getting a pipe with a smaller bowl too, a group 2 size would probably make a good "coffee break" pipe.

17. JuJu McMojo

JuJu McMojo Member

I use pipe cleaners and I twist a dry paper towel into the bowl. I think the "no cake " rule is really a personal choice -- more than a few members here cake their meers.

The best thing to do would be to get a cob. You can find them in most markets or drugstores for around $10. Well worth the price.

18. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Sas drilled a straight pipe for you? Hmm, I guess everyone has a good day ;-)

19. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Nah, it's a bent BST I bought uncommissioned. It just smokes really deliberately, slowly, and cool as anything. IDK how he did it, but it burns inherently cooler and more slowly than any other pipe I own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.