1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Quick stanwell question

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Spaceboy Tim, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

I heard that their pipes are now made in Italy. Are these new pipes stamped Made in Italy, or Made in Denmark, or don't have a stamp at all. Also, does anyone know if there are any differences with the Italian made and the Danish made Stanwells?

2. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

I think the Italians have bought the Stanwells company. I'm not sure if Stanwell's pipe making operation has actually been moved to Italy. I bought a Stanwell not too long ago and it is stamped "made in Denmark".

3. user1975

user1975 Active Member

4. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

I emailed smokingpipes.com the same question. This is the response I got:

Yes, production has moved to Italy with the finishing touches still being done in Denmark. The Italian productions are stamped Danish Design or there is no stamping regarding the country at all.

One more question: When did Stanwell move to acrylic stems? I've seen some estates with vulcanite stems but all the brand new ones I see are acrylic.

5. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I have Stanwells that are stamped both "Danish Design" and "Made in Denmark" they all smoke just fine, but it seems to me that the "Made in Denmark" ones are a little better in fit and finish, may just be the ones I happened upon though.

Stanwell definitely makes a quality product wherever it is!

6. Spaceboy Tim

Spaceboy Tim Member

Here's another question:

Why are some shapes not available in North America?

7. akohtz

akohtz Member

My older Stanwells say Made in Denmark. My newer one just says Stanwell and no mention of country.

- Andrew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.