Random cake thought

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by soundlzrd, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Does it help build cake if you leave unburnt toby in your pipe once your are done smoking? I see pictures of pipe racks with tobacco still in the bowl and wondered if there is anything to this. I usually blow through the stem after dumping out a pipe but have stopped because I noticed that the back half of the heal had no cake. This appears to be helping.

Thanks

Sean

2. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I don't leave smoked ash in my pipes because I think it makes them taste funky. I also run a pipe cleaner down the stem after every smoke to absorb excess moisture & tar. If you don't dump & swab, I would think the heel would stay too moist for cake build up.

I like dp's suggest, and have been trying it on the Neerup I'm breaking in this week. I smoke the bowl to the bottom, then put my thumb over the top and shake the ash around. I've noticed after 2 1/3, 2 1/2 bowls and a 3/4 bowl, the cake is starting to form more evenly than other pipes I didn't use that on.

Mark w4mms likes this.
  3. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Unburned is not nor does make cake.

4. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Sorry, didn't mean unbunt. Just ash I guess.

Might try the thumb trick.

5. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

I leave the burned ash in the pipe until it cools, then dump and clean the pipe.

shadow likes this.
  6. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

+1

7. WayneTeipen

WayneTeipen Member

Cake buildup requires heat and tobacco combustion byproducts. I would think that leaving ash in the bottom of your pipe only delays moisture drying and could cause your pipe to go foul.

8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Ditto. Or sometimes I don't get to it right away.

To the OP - leaving it in doesn't hurt but it doesn't help anything, either. It just means that the next time you're ready to smoke your pipe, you'll have to clean it first instead of just filling and lighting it.

9. Emory

Emory Member

Interesting subject, I keep seeing the term neerup, my bad if this is in the library terms, just thought I'd ask quick. Also, what is the main reason for cake?

10. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi Emory!
    The main reason for cake is that it protects the wood and gives a cooler, drier smoke as it also helps absorbing moisture.
    There are various opinions as to the thickness of cake: Some prefer thin, some actually want hardly any!
    The only pipes where cake isn't desirable are Meerschaums.
    Hope this helps.:bing:

11. Emory

Emory Member

Yeah,
    I have several pipes that have mundo cake
    layerage, if that's a word:) and was not sure if and
    how much to ream them. I think now I'll take
    Them down a bit, but leave some so it continues
    To build up again. So my next question is about the
    Honey curing, is this stricktly to help the cake build?

12. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Some folks wipe a bit of honey in the bowl of a new pipe, the thought being that the initial smokes will cling to the honey and build a faster cake. In my experience, it doesn't work, but YMMV.

13. Emory

Emory Member

Yeah, ok I see 'cured with honey' on a lot of restores, which would be the same as new it's been fully reamed and cleaned I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.