Rant! What's going on with St Bruno, Mr Asda[Walmart]?????

Discussion in 'OTC Over the counter tobacco' started by fordy, Aug 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fordy

fordy Member

Here in the UK, St Bruno Flake & RR is considered an OTC, one of the few still available in supermarkets (RR version only nowadays).

It is my favourite tobacco and one I am very rarely without. Every 3-4 weeks we go shopping in a town a few miles away and I will pick up a couple of 50g pouches of the Flake version from the tobacconist, if I order it online (Greens of Leeds) it is always the flake I get, in-between times I get by with the 50g RR from Asda (Walmart in the US) - when they actually have any in stock.

Now, over the years I have noticed the supermarket stuff has got ever so woody and full of hard, stalky tobacco - no resemblance to the the flake version at all, so as you can imagine I always get the flake if I can.
    I just thought that this is what the RR has been turned into, but no, wait a minute......

I ordered 2 pouches of RR from Greens and it is just like ready rubbed flake - delicious, soft, fresh shag-ish cut, no hard bits, no stalks - just superb flavour.

So what is going between Asda & Imperial (Ogdens)???

Are Ogdens sending the sweepings up to the supermarkets? Are the supermarkets insisting on paying below the odds and Ogdens cheapening what they send to them?

I know one thing - Asda won't get another penny of mine!!

2. Baccy Bert

Baccy Bert Member

Had a very bad experience with some St Bruno RR from a local Spar. It was like floor sweepings, cardboard, dog hair and wood chippings. Awful stuff had to throw the pouch away and take refuge in the bottom of some Condor Long Cut. OTCs here can be so hit and miss, it's almost worth asking to inspect the pouch before buying as some just sit on the shelf until stale and are still sold.

3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

I can still get St.Bruno flake at the large Tesco ( not Tesco 'express'!).....and Ogden's? - I don't think they have been around for a few years!:)
    OT

Slow Tri likes this.
  4. fordy

fordy Member

We don't do Tesco on ethical, political & taking-over-the-worldical grounds, plus the quality of the food is crap.
    :hp2:

:)

I'll stick with Greens & the Brighouse tobacconist.

5. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

[quote="fordy, post: 653360, member: 1374

I'll stick with Greens & the Brighouse tobacconist.[/quote]....fair enough!....and the crap ready rubbed too? ;)

6. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

This is where I found St. Bruno when I was over there. I know for a fact that the Tesco in Gerrard's Cross has some.

7. fordy

fordy Member

....fair enough!....and the crap ready rubbed too? ;)[/QUOTE]

I'll leave that in't Asda!

8. DMiddleton

DMiddleton Member

i just smoked some ready rubbed st bruno. not bad but not something i could regularly smoke. maybe if i try the flake I'll change my mind. i got it from either asda or tesco, quite a while ago now. there are quite an abundance of hard bits in it, cant deny that.

fordy likes this.
  9. craig

craig Active Member

This is exactly why i dont buy my pipe tobacco from big name shops.
    I bought some st bruno ready rubbed last year from the coop and when i opened it it had a piece on it about the width of the cut being increased and that happened 2-3 years ago.....needless to say when i tried to handle the tobacco it was that dry it practically disintegrated to such an extent it could be used as snuff!
    So any pipe tobacco i need is bought from a shop in town which has a decent selection and is actually smokeable!

10. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

At least you can buy St. Bruno in your country...

11. craig

craig Active Member

Thats true i actually cant remember the last time i bought some when existing stash is down i may have to get some more

12. noodle

noodle Member

yeah but you get carter hall. that isnt fair in the slightest:bangin:

13. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Im not too big on Carter Hall, honestly. Tell you what, you send me a 250g box of Condor Long Cut, and a 250g box of St. Bruno Flake, and I'll send you a tub of Carter Hall...

Jimmy Bukowski likes this.
  14. noodle

noodle Member

:startl:
    if i had the money to spare which is what about £120 ($190) for that little lot id be very wary of sending it via post and more to the point the stuff coming this way with our customs and excise lot

15. buistd

buistd Sales Account

Methinks he was jesting!

16. noodle

noodle Member

i was tempted for a 14 ounce tub.....
    that would last a few weeks.
    smaller scale would work though a pouch or two at a time

17. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Not entirely...its true that Im not too big on Carter Hall...and its also true that I love Condor and St. Bruno...however, I had already taken into account the various difficulties in an international swap...

18. hoss

hoss Member

St. Bruno is one of my favorite flakes. Obviously, due to overseas expenses and the difficulty in finding an international shipper, it can't be an every day smoke for us here in the U.S. But my small stock is a place i return as often as i can afford. Being a wine-maker i have learned patience in such matters, but trades made with folks in the past has always been a good way to mitigate the situation (at least in my experience).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.