1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Rate my pipe?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by William Seery, May 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William Seery

William Seery Member

Hey guys, I'm new here. I have just recently quit cigarettes, and the pne thing I will miss is the culture. I figured pipe smoking is much healthier and the culture far exceeds that of cigarettes, so I bought a pipe. Now that I ordered it, I am worried that I was too eager and bought a bad pipe just for the price. Would any of you fine people mind telling me your thoughts on this pipe?
    http://www.pipetobacco.com/Merchant...wrcbnt&Store_Code=pipet&Category_Code=lanpipe

2. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

It may be a decent smoker, who knows. It is a very small pipe at just over 4". In your price range, try a couple cobs from MM.

3. ric03

ric03 Member

It looks like a very nice pipe! I made the mistake of buying a very cheap briar pipe (under $10 in your money!) and it put me off pipes for a while, it was so wet and hot. Anything in that range "should" be fine for a first pipe :)

4. Marc

Marc Active Member

It should be a good smoker once you've put a few bowls through it and I would recommend you start with a simple burley blend like Carter Hall or Prince Albert, it will help build a cake in your pipe quickly, start with half bowls for the first few to get a heel cake going, then smoke full bowls.;)

5. bigpoppamike100

bigpoppamike100 Member

nice looking pipe, i realy like to see people start with a stright pipe, its easyer to keep dry while smoking, but its a nice little pipe, and it might just smoke wounderful, but remember if it puts you off try another pipe, maybe a straigt pipe. thanks for showing us and welcome to the pipe smokers world, and there are some wounderful guys here that have even helped me get started, take care friend

6. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

That looks like a fine pipe to me, I have a couple of small semi-churchwardens from about that price range, and love them, they smoke great! I for one prefer a smaller pipe that doesn't take 2 hours to smoke!

Be prepared to work on your technique, and don't get discouraged, tongue bite, overheating your tobacco and ruining the flavor and other general maladies may (as in will probably) happen as you start off, but these guys here will give you excellent advice. Welcome, and keep with it!

7. William Seery

William Seery Member

Wow thanks a lot you guys! I would not have known where to start if i didnt find this site< so im very grateful

8. Marc

Marc Active Member

You're part of the brotherhood now and we're here to help!:th1:

9. Zfog

Zfog Member

My first pipe was very similar! Just a basic Savinelli University Pipe.
    Like said above, give it a go and don't get discouraged. You will be rewarded with years of relaxation.

10. Bacek

Bacek Member

Let me share my thoughts, not so optimistic... The smaler the pipe the slower you have to draw to keep pipe cool and smoke tastefull. Shallow draw will result in constant relights, especially for novice pipe smoker, like me... or you... Deep draws will get your tongue and lips burn. Small pipes usualy have thin walls wich will make them very hot to touch... So in my, beginner opinion small pipes are not a good choice to start and enjoy pipe smoking. Again, just my very humble expirience...

11. Marc

Marc Active Member

Regardless of pipe size, you should draw slow and easy when smoking a pipe, the slower you smoke, the cooler the smoke, and yes, the more flavor from your smoke. If you’re having a lot of relights, there could be several reasons as to why, really moist tobacco, packing, smoking technique etc., it will take some practice to master these things and understand tobacco characteristics. Also, pipe wall thickness should not be a deciding factor on what type of pipe you smoke, both will get hot to the touch if smoked incorrectly, yes thicker walled pipes are a little more forgiving to the newbie smoker but are not a guarantee that they will not get hot! If anything, a smaller lighter pipe will help you learn good smoking technique quicker, a pipe like the standard straight billiard shape is ideal for beginners, they are easy to load, light and smoke and will usually smoke drier than a bent pipe and are light and easy to clench as you learn to breathe smoke a pipe. I would recommend all new pipe smokers pick up a couple of Corn Cob pipes to begin with, they are a very forgiving pipe to the newbie smoker while he learns his way around pipe smoking technique and tobaccos.

12. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Like Bacek, I am a beginner, I would just add, follow people's advice here, its good, but also know, too hot, packed too loose, too tight, how often to puff, are things that you should experiment with, but are really hard to put into words. Far from being the perfect pipe smoker, I really started to enjoy the pipe when I stopped worrying about it. I was worried about cake (thinner than a dime your pipe will crack if you go outside, thicker than nickel, your pipe will also crack, I just wear safety google whenever I smoke because I have a hard time telling the cake thickness and I don't want briar bits in my face....), how I packed, how often I re-lighted, etc., I still think about those things, and they are good to to thing about, but don't let the "rules" rule you (at the same time remembering the rules). It took me about 4 months to get over obsessing, and just enjoy. Oh, I give the pipe and 8.23. WS, I'm just being silly, but serious, I don't know what I'm doing so ignore.... All the best, -David (and maybe a little too much vitamin A)

13. Marc

Marc Active Member

Guys, relax, your briars are not going to explode while smoking them and don't worry about cake thickness and re-lights at this point in your pipe smoking, what you need to do is concentrate on the basics... packing, lighting, tamping and smoking technique, practice makes perfect! Learn the basics first and don't worry about all that other stuff!

Learn to enjoy your pipe first, then you can learn about pipes...:th1:

14. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Marc, after I got the Tyvek suit and a face shield that I drilled a hole in for the stem, I don't worry anymore..... :) -David

15. Marc

Marc Active Member

:haha:

16. William Seery

William Seery Member

Btw, is it necessary to buy a tamper or will a certain household item suffice? I'm just eager to get along smoking properly but I forgot to order a tamper, so I just want to know if there's something I can use while it's in the mail.

17. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Anything will do! A common roofing nail works great. I've used a broken stick with flat end more than once :)

18. Marc

Marc Active Member

Roofing nails work great, golf tee or a wooden dowel...

19. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I give it a 75. It's got a good beat and you can dance to it. ;)
    (Maybe some of you other old-timers will get that reference...)

Seriously, William, you're off to a good start, and it will only get better from here. Enjoy your new pipe and your new hobby.

Herb

20. William Seery

William Seery Member

Thanks Herb, as recommended I've started off with Prince Albert, but before I joined the forum I purchased a tin of Esoterica Tilbury. I'm guessing that wasn't a good choice?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.