Re-evaluating Old Write Offs.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BernardLerring, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

A couple of months ago, in a fit of poverty and desperation for some, any, pipe tobacco, I ventured to purchase an ounce of Mellow Virginia, a tobacco I tried when I first took up pipe smoking and couldn't stand. I wrote a review online at the time that positively kicked it to death vowed never to touch it again. Two years on and a lot more pipe tobacco under the bridge, I was pleasantly surprised by this and ventured further to try another two ounces and a couple of other baccies I had written off - most notably Bosun Plug Cut (the first pipe tobacco I ever tried) - and have become a new found fan of them.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences of tobaccos that you originally couldn't stand but tried again after a bit of experience and enjoyed. Extra marks while be given for style and presentation.

YAPPG likes this.

2. user3610

user3610 Member

I have some Orlik Golden Sliced on the way for this same type of experiment. I'll keep ya updated ;)

YAPPG and BernardLerring like this.
  3. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

Thanks, I hope it goes well.

4. bubbagump

bubbagump Sales Account

I hated anything with burley in it early on (it left a nasty after taste for me). Fastforward two months...I tried SWRA. I really like that now (it's burley). I guess my tobacco palate has changed. I'll have to go back and give CH another try.

dBear, JimInks and BernardLerring like this.
  5. user3610

user3610 Member

I hated burley too, based on some strong C&D blends- but Carter Hall does not bother me at all.

YAPPG and BernardLerring like this.
  6. buistd

buistd Active Member

I'm forever doing this. If you look in the EU trading section you will see that not long into my pipe smoking journey I was trying to trade off Bosun Cut Plug, but now I love the stuff. Most of the C&D blends I have tried have grown on me since the first try.

BernardLerring likes this.
  7. User3940

User3940 Active Member

When I first started (not that long ago) I ordered a sampler from P&C that included Larry's Blend. I think it was a Latakia blend. Could not stand it. I think I compared it to old gym socks. Now I love Lat blends. Go figure. Definitely was a case of acquired taste.

8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

My experience with this tells me that if I hated a blend years ago, I probably still hate it now. But if my feelings aren't quite so strong, I can sometimes be persuaded to upgrade the blend.

JuJu McMojo, YAPPG and BernardLerring like this.
  9. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

Reminds me of the first time I tried Squadron Leader, never had a Lat before and couldn't stand my first two or three bowls of them but then it grew on me and now it's my fave.

dBear and YAPPG like this.
  10. Tate

Tate Member

I've never hated something then come back and been okay with it. I have some "meh" blends that occasionally I'll retry to see if something was off when I last tried it. Taste can change, variables in production, variables in the place you're smoking, the pipe, etc. I try to give each tobacco at least a couple of shots. But when I >hate< something, I've never tried it a second time and been okay with it.

BernardLerring and WalkinStick like this.
  11. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I didnt like PA the first few pouches I had. Six months later, I bought another pouch...followed shortly by a tub. My tobacco philosophy is "burn tobacco, not bridges." Just because you dont like something at the moment doesnt mean you wont like it in the future...

Raffxr7, BernardLerring and JimInks like this.
  12. WalkinStick

WalkinStick Your Huckleberry

This is pretty much how I feel too.

BernardLerring likes this.
  13. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Oh wow, BPG is a heckuva first! In that line of thought, that was the first Lakeland I ever tried and it just... wow. I made the mistake of smoking it in my favorite pipe of the time, too. Ghosted bad on a single bowl, and going back to that pipe was torturous for months! I was certain I got a very strong floral flavor, but the kind gentleman who sent the sample was quite sure it was "unscented" meaning just clove, no rose geranium. I wasn't buying that, waaaaay too floral. If he was correct, I can only imagine the whole nine yards! I haven't revisited Boson yet, but I have tried some other Lakelands recently. Ennerdale responded favorably at first. We'll see where that goes.

More generally, I did not get along with my first flake - LNF. I figured it was inexperience with flakes and I just ignored them for years (as a far-too-occasional smoker to really learn how to manage them). I adore flakes now, but I still don't care for LNF! Maybe it was just the blend and I missed out on seven years of flake smoking!

14. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

I think you're right about BPG, I think with hindsight I would have left the florals till much later. Still, I had no idea about pipe smoking so just picked one at random. I'm just glad I didn't try Grasmere flake as I think that is just too heavily scented for it's own good.

As for flakes I think they can be a bit tricky, as they can be quite a heavy smoke, can't help thinking that getting your first flake wrong is a bit like taking a pint of whisky as your first drink - one thinks of Full Virginia Flake. I got lucky and stumbled upon Kendal Cream Flake, a great introduction, I think Royal Navy Flake is probably another good one to start off with. Ennerdale is a good choice, probably one of my favourite florals.

15. brumoon

brumoon Member

I'm never going to try M79 again !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.