Really new, looking for some advice.

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Hugepom, Jun 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hugepom

Hugepom Member

I read the threads in this room and it seems that I may be a little behind the curve, even for what you may consider a "newbie".
    I'm looking for some suggestions on what I should go with for my first real pipe. I've been smoking for a few months now and after a very rough start, I'm starting to make some headway. As I am beginning to have an idea on what i like in the way of tobacco, I keep thinking I need to upgrade the pipe for the full experience. My current pipe (if it can be called that) is obviously junk even to me, so somebody point me in the right affordable direction for a new guy. I do know that I prefer a bent or full bent. Any suggestions?

2. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I'm sure you are about to get a bunch of cobb suggestions, so I'll offer a couple of briar ones. For a bent I'd go for a Grabow Omega, or if you wanted something a little nicer,a Savinelli Duca Carlo. I have both of these and they smoke just fine, the Omega is 25 or 30 bucks, and the Duca Carlo is about 45 or 50.

Good luck!

TheMadMan, cobbsmoker and DGErwin11 like this.
  3. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

Nording is a good pipe to consider.

DGErwin11 likes this.
  4. Bear84

Bear84 Member

If you have a local tobacco shop that sells other than glass pipes.... you may want to check out some basket pipes too. They can be had for ~$25 or so and some of them can be real nice smokers. You don't have to go find a big name, big $$ brand to get a good performer. Sometimes they are just the ugly sister of the big name brands, but will smoke very well.

5. Morse

Morse Active Member

For Briars I second the recommendation for a Savinelli.

And yes cobs - a country gentleman is a great starter. When I first started pipe smoking I resisted this advice because I just could not get past the feeling that cobs were not "real" pipes. I have since modified that position and find them to be forgiving, and cool smoking and a great place to start - although I certainly understand the appeal of a good briar.

Old Ted likes this.
  6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Over here, a new Falcon can be had for around UK £24 or US $37 that will give as cool and dry a smoke as anything you could buy!......and you can smoke one 'day in, day out' with no problems, in a lot younger, and impecunious days - one was my only pipe for about five years!.
    OT

7. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Given a choice between a basket pipe and a Dr Grabow for a new piper I would suggest Dr G 100% of the time. Other than the Omega, I don't really like Dr G's but I have found that the engineering in them is consistent. Basket pipes are seconds for a reason. Until you have more experience, I strongly suggest no basket pipes.

Lest someone things an imposter is posting in my name, It is hard to go wrong with a cob.:old:

Darkly, Motard and dwaugh like this.
  8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Jussto's recommendation for a DrG Omega was excellent, the DrG Savoy is another good smoking bent pipe that you can usually find at your local pharmacies along with Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes, they are also an excellent smoking pipe and you can grab 3 or 4 cobs for the price of a Dr. Grabow pipe if you're needing a few extra pipes for your rotation, better yet, grab a Grabow and a couple of cobs! :th1:

colorduke, TheMadMan and DGErwin11 like this.
  9. Hugepom

Hugepom Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I took a look online and I think I'm going to give DG Omega a try (and maybe grab a Cobb or two to start a rotation). But to follow up with more newbie questions... Should I go with an already "broken in" estate pipe or get a new one? Does the pipe smoke as well when its brand new? I wouldn't want to get it started off on the wrong foot. At the $20-$30 range, price isn't the issue, just want to get it right.

10. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I personally like to buy new pipes and break them in myself, cobs or briars; I like a fresh, clean pipe.

DGErwin11 likes this.
  11. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Peterson (Pete), Stanwell (Stan), or Savinelli (Sav). All three of these companies make very good pipes in the $80 to $100 range. I like Petes the best, but Stan and Sav are fine pipes. Estate pipes are another great option.

12. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

All the new Dr.G pipes I've seen lately in the package, including my new Dr.G. Royalton Bent bulldog (awesome pipe btw) came with a carbon treated bowl, so very little and very quick and easy breakin.

Pastor Charlie likes this.
  13. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Avoid a full bent pipe early on. They are commonly resistant to passing a pipe cleaner which creates problems, often, with moisture - especially with a new pipe. Gentler bends are easier to manage as a general rule and may offer more rewarding experiences.

Jeebs and DGErwin11 like this.
  14. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

+1!! Other than my obvious choice (Falcon), I'd
    recommend an inexpensive Sav. The straighter the
    better for working out the kinks in your smoking
    technique.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.