REALLY Optimistic Rumor - Possible Good News For Dunhill Fans

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by nesta, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Well I had probably the best visit to Smoker's Haven in over a year today. I picked up two ounces of Kendal Dark and a sample of 20th Anniversary Blend and talked with the owner and pipe carver, Premal Chheda, for a little while. I have been going there for a while, and this is the first time I saw the guy in there. He had been suffering some unfortunate medical stuff for a while, which is apparently why he was rarely in store for some time.

Anyway, we mostly chatted about the store and various tobaccos, and I was talking about how I wished Dunhill had relaunched more of their blends than they had.

According to him, and I have no serious reason to doubt him, Orlik DOES plan a relaunch for a number of other Dunhill blends. The next round should hit stores, according to him, most likely within the next several months, possibly just 3-4 months from now and probably no later than 6 months. Allegedly this should include Durbar Mixture and Elizabethan Mixture. Several others are undergoing further development for future relaunch, such as Standard Mixture Medium, possibly Three Year Aged Virginia, and some other blend which had been very long discontinued, I suspect perhaps Aperitif or something but he couldn't think of the name of the blend off the top of his head.

Anyway, I don't know specifics and don't know for certain, but apparently there is some reason to believe, if nothing else, Orlik DOES plan on further restoring the Dunhill lineup, and we should see at least a few "new" blends from them sometime in the next several months.

Raffxr7, furious, Kiowapipe and 5 others like this.

2. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I'm looking forward to this. Almost as much as the possibility that they might put out bulk Nightcap.

I read a lot of stuff about how the current blends aren't as good as the old stuff, but find me one thing in life that is as good as the old stuff. The ones I've had are still good smokes (not that I can compare to previous incarnations).

3. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

Ooohhhh this has me excited!!

nesta likes this.
  4. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Elizabethan Mixture... nice.

JimInks, dmkerr and nesta like this.
  5. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Oh, frabjous day! I have been hoping they would bring back Elizabethan, having never tried it myself, so let's hope it's true. Durbar has got me really intrigued, too, based on some of the amazing things I've heard about it. Great post Nesta, hope it comes true!

JimInks and dmkerr like this.
  6. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

This.

Liking Dunhill blends (then or now) doesn't get you a ticket to the You Must Be A Pipe Tobacco Genius annual meeting. Serious seasoned smokers (most of whom are hard to take seriously because they're too old to remember much) argue that when Murray starting blending Dunhill they forever ruined the blends and the brand. And whatever Murray did, 10-year old Murray's era blends old didn't taste like Murray's era blends fresh from the tin. Regardless, I've enjoyed many of them through time. I think the new gear from Orlik is good on its own or by comparison to previous iterations. If not the same, it's not shabby, either. And, for sure, Orlik's Dunhill Flake (GAF) has met with near universal approval, hasn't it? So, fine! GAF is better and Royal Yacht is a little limp. Things change but I'd love to see the blends renewed or reinvented or whatever they do. (I just wish they'd lose the stick-on labels and go back to screen printing the tins. Seems to taste better screen printed.)

After folks bellyache about how Murray's (and now Orlik's) 965 of the last 20 years just doesn't hold a candle to the Alfred Dunhill version I can only say, "What could? Since civil war, organized crime and communism destroyed the the small family patches of some of the most specialized tobacco in the world what would you expect?" I mean, if Avery Island, LA, and all of McIlhenny's vendors sank beneath the waves, why expect next years Tabasco Sauce to taste like it did in 1977? WTF? Get some Cholula and move on. When making the best tobacco in the world was easy, Balkan Sobranie was $1.50/pound. Now it seems to run around $200 ounce and there still isn't a reliable second best.

Speaking of Balkan Sobranie second best, Smokers Haven was always close in my book with 20th Anni Import. Is THAT coming back? If it does, will it be the same? My last five pounds is now at least five years old. Can they genuinely compare the quality of the new to the old, aged, stuff?

Silly me. Of course not.

7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Cholula is clearly the superior sauce anyway. Especially the garlic one. Great for wings.

8. Nick P

Nick P Member

Well said. Just because something isn't 100% the same doesn't mean it can't be good in its own right, no? I think part of the problem stems from sheer availability, but I think there can be no doubt at all the tobacco changes with age and people's taste changes with time. A new tin of any blend isn't going to taste the same as if that tin was aged 10, 20, or 30 years. Also, I imagine if you were to buy a tin of any tobacco, then proceed to find many favorites and revisit that tobacco, even if the blend hadn't changed at all you would still find it to taste differently. Lastly, I think the thought of smoking something decades ago invokes many memories, and even if the taste is exactly the same, it can never replicate a person's state at that time.

9. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Yup. Even if the (potential) new Durbar is exactly the same as the old (Murray's, for me) Durbar, I know I'll never replicate my initial experience with it. Durbar was my first non-aro, non-OTC smoke, and it blew my mind. I remember fondly the sense of discovery and excitement, and how proudly I bragged to a friend that I'd found "real" pipe tobacco, and how it smelled like a weeks-uncleaned elephant cage but tasted amazing.
    Even though I know I'll never get that again, though, I'm still totally psyched about the prospect of a revival- and just because it won't be the same doesn't mean that it can't still be great :)
    Thanks for the rumor, Nesta, hope it's true.

10. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Rumor has it the paint sealed the micro-porosity in the tin, thereby limiting gas exchange. Also, some overspray did reach parts of the tin interior, as it outguessed the flavor was altered. Some people think that the residue had a very slight, but perceptible, hallucinogenic effect.

11. furious

furious Junque collector

Here, here!! Can't wait to see Aperitif and Durbar again!! Who knows, maybe Orlik will bring back Cuba Mixture and Ye Olde Signe??

12. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Even better! It's been decades since I've intentionally hallucinated.

13. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Geez, dwaugh. Where do you get this stuff? It'd be worth spending an entire day with you just to hear you talk.

Great stuff!!
    OBD.

jdto and dwaugh like this.
  14. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I made all that stuff up.... I have a slight short between the headphones. But, I would still like to spend a day visiting with you, maybe we could get Berg to show up too:)

15. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I don't think Moo is as good as he was a few years ago. That old Moo was really good stuff.

16. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

My wife would not be thrilled if Dunhill brings back the Elizabethan, but I would. It's the only pipe tobacco she's complained about in over 23 years of marriage. Alas, DE in bulk would probably be too much to hope for. The Altaldis match is pretty close, but I'd rather have the real thing if they do a good job on it's potential revival.

jpberg likes this.
  17. jdto

jdto Active Member

Poor me. I never got to try these old blends. I guess I'll carry on in blissful ignorance enjoying the substandard Dunhill blends I get now.

PipeWife and Johnny Dingo like this.
  18. neoclassical

neoclassical Member

Can't wait to try Durbar, even if it isn't the old stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.