• This section of the forum was maintained by our good friend Mister Moo who was taken from us last year
    Recent topics are being moved and this section is now closed and preserved in memory of Dan

Reaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

buistd

Hi there - My first pipe that I have smoked seriously reached a point of needing the cake evening and thinning out a bit. I bought an old reamer on ebay (which incidentally was partly non-functioning) and tried using it on the pipe. It did an okay job but chipped a bit of the cake in a couple of places taking it back to wood. I was wondering if anyone has any good advice on maintaining a consistent cake.

johnhwatson

The best reamer for most standard sized pipe bowls (dunhill group 1 - 5) is the "British butner". They're no longer manufactured but you find them on ebay sometimes or you can get a modern replica

SenatorXMG

I had been using a Senior Reamer with good results...adjustable and aggressive. However, I had a hard time maintaining larger sized bowls...for that matter, smaller ones, too! Also, the Senior Reamer has a distinct cutting path...so the bowl shape can determine how well it works.

I purchased the Savinelli FitsAll reamer....sort of a 3 bladed pipe knife. Size and shape of bowls are a non-issue for me now. Every 3-4 smokes I just gently scrape the inside of the bowl to knock off the high points and maintain a nice even cake. You can check out my video on it to see what it looks like (this is not an instructional vid):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l8WoZbO0Vs

shadow

I've been using the Swiss made PIP NET for the past 25 years. It has never let me down, is easy to use and works on all the bowls I have.
There are also cheap copies of this tool available but they seem to be rather flimsy.
Maybe you can get an original one off ebay since they're no longer produced.
Good luck!

IrishRover

I've got the Senior Reamer and it's worked well for me. Howver, like Senetor stated; using it on larger bowls or even the very small ones is tough.

yinyang

Some rim charring is to be expected.
Patron
Fine grit sandpaper wrapped around a finger/pen/screwdriver. I use a knife too, when needed.

shadow

Hi there!
The first link shows the PIPNET copy. The original one is an EXCELLENT tool! I've had mine for decades, and it works on all of my pipes, currently 37.
There's one on ebay UK at the moment!
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.