• This section of the forum was maintained by our good friend Mister Moo who was taken from us last year
    Recent topics are being moved and this section is now closed and preserved in memory of Dan

Reaming?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Big Fil

So I have my 4 pipe rotation,
My knowledge of tobaccos and what I like is improving exponentially,
I have my pipe tool,
pipe cleaners and low sugar high alchohol booze for cleaning.

But....

I want to start reaming my pipes once a month, and the choice of different reamers is a bit overwhelming. Plus when looking at them it's not obvious how they work.

Any suggestions?

Phil :punk:

IrishRover

I have a Sr. Reamer.. but, I don't think you'll need to ream the pipes once a month. Unless you really do smoke that much?
I've only reamed a few estates that I purchased. So far, that's the only need I've had for it.

The Big Fil

I have a Sr. Reamer.. but, I don't think you'll need to ream the pipes once a month. Unless you really do smoke that much?
I've only reamed a few estates that I purchased. So far, that's the only need I've had for it.
Oh really, ok well in that case I'll get me some more Navy Rolls instead, LOL...

jpberg

Staff member
I applaud your plan, but I'm in agreement that a reamer shouldn't be that high on your list. Buy and burn more tobacco, and one day you'll be loading your pipe and say "hell, where did all this cake come from?" Then we can have the discussion about needing anything more than a butter knife to ream your pipes.

The Big Fil

I applaud your plan, but I'm in agreement that a reamer shouldn't be that high on your list. Buy and burn more tobacco, and one day you'll be loading your pipe and say "hell, where did all this cake come from?" Then we can have the discussion about needing anything more than a butter knife to ream your pipes.
Yes sir!! :)

yinyang

Some rim charring is to be expected.
Patron
Dremel>butter knife. :)

Yeah, a reamer is overrated in my opinion. Like Jon says, there are other options, and those easily obtained or on hand. Sandpaper wrapped on a pencil, f'rinstance. A reamer just seems...extraneous.

Jussto

I agree that you probably won't need one for a good while, but when it's time, you can't beat the Senior reamer. They can be found used on the 'bay sometimes for a great deal too.

Dondi

I agree that you probably won't need one for a good while, but when it's time, you can't beat the Senior reamer. They can be found used on the 'bay sometimes for a great deal too.
I agree, the first reamer I got was the Senior reamer, and I have no reason to regret that decision.

Snake

permanent ankle biter
Patron
I'd say a pipe, smoked on a regular
rotation such as yours, would warrant
a reaming maybe once a year. Reamers
adjust to the inner diameter of the bowl,
then you start twisting. Adjust outward,
and repeat until most of the cake is gone.
Personal preference as to how much cake
one wants to leave. Senior reamers work
brilliantly, BTW. Got mine for free. :D

shadow

Hi Phil!
The reamer I've used for the past 25-30 years is the Swiss made PipNet. Unfortunately it's no longer made but it does creep up on ebay sometimes.
A fantastic piece of kit which stood the test of time!
The senior pipe reamer is another good one and so is the Buttner.
Sooner or later you might wanna get yourself one of those since they really don't cost much anyway and last a lifetime.
Who knows: You might get some Estate pipes some day, for the fraction of the price of a new pipe, and then a reamer is invaluable.:bing:

Bear84

My reamer of choice tends to be the ever present Pocket Knife. I've not really ever had to ream one too drastically but a smaller (like a trapper) knife blade has always done a fine job of keeping an even cake in my bowls.

Status
Not open for further replies.