Recomendations for a noob?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Bradabelko4, Jul 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

Howdy guys.

Just realized that I am in fact not a fan of aromatics, or at least the one I have.

I have a bag of CH, which I enjoy far more than this aro. With that being said, I've decided I want to try a nonaro. Would have any recomendations for a noob?

I'm not afraid of spice, or high nicotine content either. Just some good flavorful tobacco. Something that is pretty widely available, but sold in a small enough amount I won't worry about pitching if I don't like it.

Thanks everyone.

Andre

MrJarvis likes this.

2. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Member

See if you can find Bulls Eye Flake, which is a Peter Stokkebye bulk blend. You can probably buy just an ounce or two.

The blend has been rolled and cut into coin-shaped pieces. It's a Virginia/perique, with a bit of cavendish in the center. Naturally sweet, but the perique gives it a little spice. You'll want to rub it out before smoking it.

3. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I remember getting my first taste of CH. I liked it big time. As much as I like many tinned imports. If I lived in the states my piping would be cheap as CH and SWR would be my regular daily smokes. If you like CH you like burley. A good start. Chances are you are going to like English blends of which there are many. Like you, my main requirement is real tobacco flavour. I'm not tossing names at you because of my Swiss cheese memory. Others will supply many names worth trying.

Check out tobacco reviews at http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/ Tons of information there, reviews about nearly everything you can find. I use it to help avoid accidental aro purchases. Depending on where you live, 4noggins and other on line vendors may be of great use to you. There is a large world of non aros to explore.

4. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

If you like Carter Hall which is an OTC tobacco why not try other OTC tobaccos that might be available in your area, like Cherry Blend in the white box, Prince Albert in the red box, Sir Walter Raleigh regular (orange wrapper) or the aromatic (dark blue wrapper)?

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Well-Known Member

Non-aromatic.... well, let's see.

You can get into "real" tobacco with a dip of the toes or you can jump in.

Virginia Perique, sweet and spicey - can't miss blends include McConnel's "Scottish Cake" and McLelland's "Tudor Castle"

Get into the "English Mixtures" and try some latakia - Frog Morton from McClelland, or their British Woods. Mac Baren "Solent" is real good too.

All in all, I'd say get a tin of Scottish Cake. That's pipe tobacco perfection imho.

6. Skrymr

Skrymr Member

From one noob to another, I would recommend Frog Morton on the Town. Mild, flavorful, and it get's better with each bowl. I also have Frog Morton on the Bayou, but I haven't cracked open the tin yet.

7. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

Thanks everyone! I'll look into what I can. As far as OTC, I'm trying to expand my horizons, more into the premium. Not to say that there aren't good OTC's.

Sasquatch, which is dipping my toes and which is jumping in?

8. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I'm no help to you. Carter Hall is my main tobacco along with some Cherry Blend once in a while. If you are a real pipe smoker, you will smoke what you like regardless of the snob appeal. Since you already seem to like CH, keep plenty of that on hand. Then, if you try something you hate, you still have an old reliable to fall back on.

You have the right idea, though. Try small amounts of different blends until you find what you like. Since I prefer the OTC's which are available locally, I don't know if this idea is available. But I seem to recall some posts about sample packs available through some of the online vendors. Maybe some of the more adventurous members can get you some details.

9. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

I intend on keeping a steady supply of CH on hand. Being a cigar smoker, the idea of smoke what you like has been readily ingrained in my noggin thanks to some friendly members of CA.

I"ll have to look into some of the online vendors. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

10. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

Peter stokkebye's "proper English" was the first thing recommended to me on this forum when I asked for a new smoke. Its my favorite, and can be bought in bulk.

user2725 likes this.
  11. user2725

user2725 Active Member

So you have one aro and you are going to say your not into aros? There are plenty of good aros out there and plenty of bad ones too. Peter Stokkebye & McClelland's have a lot of great blends which are sold in bulk at reasonable prices.

12. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

That's :cool: hold your credit card above your head and jump in with both feet! :beck:

13. user2725

user2725 Active Member

I don't find "premium" bulk blends any more expensive than OTC's.

14. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Well-Known Member

Frog Morton is a toe dip into the English realm - smokey and sweet, but basically totally unlike Carter Hall (American OTC type) or Danish type aromatics.

Ten Russians is the deep end, and british Woods is in the middle, which is where you'll usually find the good looking chicks anyhow.

These are all smoky, almost greasy, deep, flavorful tobaccos.

The Scottish Cake I recommended is very approachable by anyone - it smells good, it tastes good, it doesn't bite, it's easy to smoke. Introduces one to Virginia/perique mixtures with a very gentle hand.

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  15. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

I'm not completely writing off aros just yet, but I had every intent to start with nonaros, the fellow at the tobacco store though just said it was his best seller, and I said I'll take it. Had no idea what I was doing, but figured I'd give it a shot. I was looking at the tins, but he pointed me to 2oz. of "Blend 10". I'm not throwing out what I have, just can't pack it well enough for me to enjoy it. It is still smoking wet and I don't know if it is; pipe needs breaking in, tobacco is too wet, or my pace. Probably a combination of all three, but the CH is more forgiving, and I do enjoy it a lot. Skipped lunch at work to smoke a bowl of it. Man, did I get weird looks smoking a pipe in walmart parking lot.

As to the price, I think the CH was a little more expensive than the Blend 10.

So many choices! I'll have to go to the tobacco store and see what I can find. Anyone know of any online retailers who offer samplers?

Thanks again everyone.

16. Bradabelko4

Bradabelko4 Member

Well went to my b&m today, and considering they only had 4 nonaros in quanities available less than 50g, I decided to go with an oz of English Oriental and an oz of black cavendish. I'm really enjoying the Oriental.

Thanks again everyone!

17. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Good. You will either settle on one blend, like me. Or you will be like many here who have many blends to choose from depending on their mood, phase of the moon, what they are drinking at the time or whatever. Guess what? Each camp is correct. Explore what makes you happy.

AK Kilted Guy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.