1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Recommend me pipes in the $100 range

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ECross, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ECross

ECross Member

Forgive me if this has been asked many times before, but my search turned up mostly people asking for cheaper pipes. As I have mentioned in my first couple posts here, I am a new pipe smoker. My first pipe was a Medico Conqueror, which has served me well, and I have recently bought a couple of cheap estate pipes on ebay (haven't received them yet), but I want to upgrade. What are some quality pipe brands for me to check out? Lets say in the $100 range. And are there any websites to buy from that stand out as better than others? Thank you.

Eli

Oh and I forgot to mention I'm looking for briar pipes only.

2. StevenEC

StevenEC Member

I have a Stanwell 63m freehand dublin pipe that smokes great, it was around $105 at smokingpipes.com they are a good site. I also have a Brebbia that was $85 from them, that also is very good. I got a few other pipes from pipesandcigars.com a Savinelli, Peterson, and Nording, those were all from $70 to $100 and are also pretty good and has a large selection in that range.

3. sorringowl

sorringowl Emoticonally challenged

Hey ECross,
    You definitely want to take a look at smokingpipes.com. They have a great selection of New and Estate Pipes. Use their Pipe Locater on the right to specify a price range. Good luck and let us know what you find.

4. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

new, savinelli

used, radice.

both consistently good (in the case of radice, excellent) smokers, and fairly good for newer smokers, but i'd stay away from the MONSTROUS radices. keep in mind they tend to be bigger than they look. the other nice thing about estate radices is they tend to sell for about what you paid if you sell them on down the line later.

5. Grim_Puffer

Grim_Puffer Member

Depends on what you would like.

Savinellis and Petersons are nice at that price and combined I have 5 of those.

HOWEVER, at that range those pipes will contain putty fills and what not ( or whatever the proper term is ) because I can spot 2 places easily on both that are obviously touuch ups done to the pipe and I bought all of my pipes new.

You can also get a Boswell Pipe, heavy and not well balanced but pretty much all of those are one of a kind.

HOWEVER, the draw back here is they are hard ot get online new as it would require you to go to their site, see when they sell pipes ( usually thurs morning ) and get online at 930 am and hit the refresh button til the new photos come up then call and hope to get throuugh and purchase one.

OR

PM some of our local PSF makers and see what they might can do in that range and if you can spare a little more maybe they can help you out and itll be your custom piece.

There are tons of great pipes in that range and im no snob either, my whole collection(around 20 pipes) except 2 pipes are in the 90-120 range and I enjoy everyone of them but they do have some minor flaws not that they ever ruined my smoking experience.

6. Grim_Puffer

Grim_Puffer Member

Mario Grandi pipes are also nice and run $60 to $100 on avg although some can be several hundred bucks. The prob with these are sometimes the stems don't match up perfectly snug but still nice unique pipes all the same.

Sorry to double post on my phone at the moment and nO edit button popped up on psfmobile

7. old pipe guy

old pipe guy Member

I would also say Boswell's they have handmade pipes for under a hundred bucks,but it is hard to get through on new pipe day.If you see one you like call Dan at the shop and see if they have one like it in the shop,i've purchased many this way>Also not all Boswell's are big and heavy Ihave quite a few in the one to two ounce range. www.boswellpipes.com

8. Cobra

Cobra Member

New I would have to go with Savinelli and Cupojoes for a dealer.

9. ECross

ECross Member

Thanks for all the input.

I decided to buy a Peterson Aran (B10) P-Lip from smokingpipes.com. I can't find it on their website anymore though, do they remove it instantly after it is sold or is it just me? So here is a picture from somewhere else instead.

[​IMG]

Forgive me if it doesn't work.

I also purchased some tobacco while I was at it:

Davidoff Red Mixture - 50g
    Dunhill Standard Mixture Mellow - 50g
    McClelland Frog Morton - 100g
    McClelland Beacon - 50g
    McClelland Jubilee - 50g

Also, I bought some bulk tobacco from cupojoes the other day:

Stokkebye PS9F French Vanilla - 4oz.
    Stokkebye PS28 Black Majesty - 4oz.
    Dunhill A21000 Vanilla Cavendish - 4oz.
    Altadis Match Pipe Tobacco Dunhill 965 - 4oz.

And some more McClelland Frog Morton - 100g

And for the record I have never smoked any of these! So I'll see what happens. Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised or maybe I won't. But it is so much cheaper than tobacco here I couldn't help myself. Unless of course the border crossing costs me an arm and a leg.

Thanks for reading,

Elijah

10. aircoder

aircoder Member

Enjoy em all and let us know what you think!

11. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Enjoy 'em all! Think you'll like the Peterson - don't be put off if it tastes slightly bad to begin with, it's just that Peterson's dip their bwols in stain and this does quickly dissipate these days. The pipe you've chosen is an excellent looker and should be great smoker - enjoy in good health for many years,

Best to all

Gerry

12. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

That's a classic looking pipe! I hope you enjoy it for many, many years!

13. StevenEC

StevenEC Member

Yeah smokingpipes removes their pipes instantly on purchase. Something I like to do before buying a pipe online, especially from them because their pics are excellent is to save the pictures and copy and paste the description and measurements to a file on my pc so I can reference and compare it easier when buying new pipes.

Also aside from the stain, the lower grade Petersons aren't cured very long and do take a little longer then usual to break in. Mine took a few weeks, but smokes great afterwards.

14. Trendsetter

Trendsetter Member

Definitely smokingpipes.com they are reliable and have a huge range of goods for low prices. The home store is good too I only live an hour away :) it is the Mecca of pipe smoking. Anyhoo, I digress. I love Savinelli. Their pipes are great and are usually in the $75 to $85 range. Another good brand is Johs. You can find those pipes on that website too. Johs churchwardens are freehand, bug, cool smoking, beautiful, and usually under $100.

15. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I also do this. It's helped me buy online
    after I knew what I liked. Good post, StevenEC.

dp

16. orangelj

orangelj Member

Boswell if you can get your hands on one; all mine are excellent smokers. Big Tim West fan here too depending on where you are.

17. badbusinessman

badbusinessman ☺️

It almost pains me to give this recommendation because I don't want the prices of the pipes to go up, but they deserve the recognition: Blakemar. I've never had a bad pipe. The more expensive versions (still mostly under $100) are hand made and the fit and finish are superb. Open draws and great briar. I can't conceive of why people buy modern day Dunhills when these are available.

18. 65caddy

65caddy Member

Jake Hackert pipes are great and are in the price range your looking for. You can find them on ebay or check out what Jake Hackert fans have to say on youtube.

19. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

After reading your post I was curious about these so I poked around, but couldn't find any US retailers selling them. Where did you get yours?

20. ECross

ECross Member

My package from smokingpipes.com came in today..but I was at work so it is going to be dropped off tomorrow if I leave money. I was surprised that it is only going to cost me 40 extra dollars. Still such a good deal compared to tobacco prices here, and I can't wait for the new pipe! Now all that is left is for Colorado to beat Detroit tonight and I won't have any complaints.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.