Recommend me something mild...

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by AthensPipes, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AthensPipes

AthensPipes Member

Maybe this belongs in ask an old fart but this seems more appropriate...

I love nice mild blends, also they're usually a bit less pungent when smoked and people wrinkle their noses less when I smoke in public (as I usually do). I have a Dunhill London Mixture which I enjoy and (I am a bit embarrassed to say...) some CAO "moontrance" which I absolutely love...It's part of the "fLavours" collection, its supposed to be exotic fruit and bourbon vanilla but I dont taste any of those things in it. All I know is I like it a lot...

So what are some nice mild tobaccos that you recommend? I have stuck to the medium cut stuff (little ribbons and some smaller pieces...I know theres a name for this but I dont remember what it is) only because its all I have experience with.

Thanks guys!

2. Johnny

Johnny Member

I've heard a lot of good things about Lane 1-Q. It's one of the most popular tobacco blends and has a great room note too. You should give that a shot and it's pretty inexpensive

3. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

If you like mild aros I recommend Peterson's Deluxe. It is very mild and it has a delicate honey & walnut flavor. The walnut overtone enhances the natural tobacco flavor. If you get a tin and don't like it, I'll buy the tin from you.

4. AthensPipes

AthensPipes Member

haha, Deal! I love a guarantee! I've only tried a few decent tobaccos so Ill probably get a tin of everything that people recommend in this thread!

5. muddler

muddler Member

Most aromatics are going to be popular with those around you. Stay away from the Lat blends. I smoke a lot of Va flakes - Dunhill Flake & Orlik Golden Sliced are pretty mild. Besides, any pipe tobacco smells better than cigarette smoke.

6. PipeWife

PipeWife Member

Lane 1-Q rocks! My dad smoked it when I was a kid, and I sent him some the other week as part of a present. He said as soon as he opened the box, he recognized the scent.

A couple more good ones, also in bulk, are McClelland Virginia cakes: #2000 Fragrant Matured, #2010 Classic Virginia, #5100 Red Cake, and #5115 Old World Classic. The cakes/broken flakes are rather easy to rub out and make a good stepping-stone to flake blends. Just remember to smoke them slow and easy to get the most from them.

Alan Dye and Morse like this.
  7. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

No need to be embarrassed about liking aros, Athens. Plenty of "serious" ( :rolleyes: ) pipe smokers have the occasional sweet tooth :)
    What exactly do you mean by mild, though? Low-nicotine? Light flavor? Easy burning?
    Most McClelland's stuff is fairly light on nicotine and easy to get along with. Maybe try one of their oriental blends.

IrishRover likes this.
  8. AthensPipes

AthensPipes Member

yea at the end of the day my pipe smoking is meant to make me happy right?

by mild I mean a lighter taste, not too spicy (to borrow a word from cigar smoking), not a very overpowering or harsh taste. I dont really care about the nicotine levels, I dont smoke enough for it to matter really, and I dont have a preference.

9. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

At the end, the beginning, and in the middle :)
    If you want, you can PM me your address and I'll send you a couple samples of things you might like.

10. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

Hearth & Home Classic Burley Kake is the only aro I continue to reach for.

11. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

I normally don't recommend blends because individual's tastes vary so much but neither of us can lose if you are willing to sell the tin to me if you don't like it. All of the Pete aro's are mild. Sunset Breeze (my son's fav) and Connoisseur's Choice are also excellent.

12. BigG

BigG Member

Some of my favorites that would be just what you're looking for:
    Milan Tobacconists Doctor's Orders, Jefferson Street, "Our" London Dock, and Wall Street
    LJ Peretti Blend 432 & Ebony
    Uhles Old Shoe Blend, Hunt Club, Par Shooter, and Christmas Blend 2011
    Boswell No Bite Delite
    Pipesandcigars.com Trout Stream

13. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

Dorchester is mild with a light fruity taste. They say there is perique in it, but I never knew anyone who ever tasted it there, including me. H&H Classic Burley Kake is a good choice, too. Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match is another.

14. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

Frog Morton Across the Pond is pretty mild as is Peterson's Sherlock Holmes.

15. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

hearth & home Anglers dream is pretty good too

16. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

MacBaren Original Choice, Dunhill Light Flake, McClellands Black Shag, Middleton's Walnut. Mild but still tasty.

17. AthensPipes

AthensPipes Member

well i know i said I would buy one of everything that was recommended...but buying 100 lbs of tobacco in one go might be a bit much! :byg:

I'll have to pick and choose a few. I do want to make a fairly large order of lots of different tobaccos and try them out. My previous experience was limited to pretty crappy store blends. The two tins I have now are my first two ever!

Now I have plenty to go on when I make that order! :thu2:

18. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

Gawith & Hoggarth Broken Scottish Cake. Super mild and a good smoke.

19. smokey422

smokey422 Member

For aromatics I go to two sources: Boswell Pipes and Pipe&Wilke. From Boswell's I like Bear Blend (aro with a touch of Latakia), Raspberry Cream, No Bite Delite, and PA Dutch Treat. P&W also has many good ones, I particularly recommend Vermont Maple Cavendish, #191 blend, and Rumcake. I also really like P&C's Classic Burley Kake, which is mildly aromatic. My wife hates strong aros, they give her a headache, but she doesn't mind Latakia. Am I lucky or what?
    Smokey

JescoWhite likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.