Recommend premium latakia blends?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Maharaji, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maharaji

Maharaji Member

Oi,

My pipe is a Fe.Ro pipe, and I have only smoked "Heavy English" in it. I do not recall what brand of Heavy English it was, but judging from reviews, all brands have a good deal of Latakia content in it, and although I am new, I am well aware now that Latakia seems to ghost pipes.

I like the smokey flavor Latakia brings anyway, so I don't mind only sticking to Latakia-blended tobacco OR tobacco that would compliment it. So if you know of any tobacco that would compliment a pipe that has smoked a lot of Heavy English, please recommend them to me.

I like to enjoy all the flavors the tobacco blend has to offer, and I know my options are a little more limited with my Fe.Ro pipe since I used Latakia. I know enjoying all of the complex flavor in the pipe is not feasible with a briar pipe that used Latakia, so a compliment tobacco blend is what I am asking.

2. Capt

Capt Active Member

Pirate Kake and Ten Russians.

Spillproof, Trauma, mecompco and 2 others like this.
  3. Smarty Jones

Smarty Jones Active Member

Frog Morton Cellar and Blue Mountain. I also have some 4Noggins Bald Headed Teacher bulk on hand which only contains a small amount of Latakia.

Trauma and rondel65 like this.
  4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

GLP Odyssey or Charing Cross for blends with a lot of latakia. Really, any of their latakia blends are worthwhile.

5. sagittarius

sagittarius Member

You should try The Balkan Sobranie.

6. YAPPG

YAPPG Member

Mostly what I smoke is lat blends and I smoke them in all my pipes along side of flakes and everything else. Who's afraid of a little ghost? All of the mentioned blends are very good and I would like to add Paretti's Royal, #40 Orriental, Tashkent, especially Tashkent. You really get more than what you pay for from them. Buy a couple and ask for a couple of samples of others. Here is there link. Very much the top-shelf blends!
    http://www.ljperetti.com/index.html If you don't just love them, there are several of us here that will gladly take them off your hands.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Mine and my wifes favorite " English " blend is Balkan Sasieni . It's always available . I am partial to SG Skiff also . It's very much different than the Balkan Sasieni , in that it's a brighter Virginia in the blend .... it tastes very clean to me . Dunhill 965 is more a pretty heavy English to my tastes and is one to try for sure !

8. Maharaji

Maharaji Member

I will try all of these recommendations. It will take me a good while.

Thank you for everything. Feel free to continue the list. Know that whatever you recommend, I will gladly try in time.

9. JHeiliger

JHeiliger Member

H&H Larry's blend and Black House. Both are bulk and delicious!

I also enjoy a bowl of Dunhill London Mixture.

Spillproof likes this.
  10. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Member

McLelland Blue Mountain.

JHeiliger likes this.
  11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I will offer a contradictory opinion on one point. That point is:
    The flavor of Latakia tobacco, like many varieties of pipe tobaccos, will carry over once you get the flavor in the pipe, but in this case it is -not- permanent. If you wanted to use that pipe to smoke burley or Virginia blends, it's true that you'd taste the latakia for several smokes - especially in the bottom of the bowl. But even if it is quite heavily "ghosted" with Latakia, it shouldn't take more than maybe ten smokes of a natural burley or Virginia type blend to get the latakia flavor out and return it to neutral. Just food for thought. If you ever wanted to switch what you're smoking in a pipe, you can, and you won't be missing out on the nuanced flavors. All the flavors normally in the tobacco will still come through - it's just that you'll also have a layer of residual latakia flavor for a few smokes. After those few smokes, the latakia will go away!

That said, if you're looking for some good blends to smoke in that pipe without getting rid of the latakia flavor (nothing wrong with that!) any good blend that has Latakia OR other "Oriental" tobaccos will do well in that pipe. I would recommend Rattray's Red Rapparee...very little if any Latakia, but a wonderful Oriental taste which is quite similar. Latakia is merely a certain variety of Oriental leaf which is smoke cured, the flavors compliment each other nicely. Same goes for Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe and Presbyterian Mixture, but I think RRR is the best of these three.

If you can get it, I highly recommend Esoterica's Margate, as well as And So To Bed which has a smattering of Latakia but also a subtle aromatic note.

Along similar lines, MacBaren's HH Highland Blend is a great mild Latakia mixture which is pleasantly flavored with Scotch. This gives it a surprisingly smooth, sweet liquor flavor, but the peatiness of Scotch whisky does not come through and compete with the Latakia.

Finally, all of the above suggestions are pretty good, though I don't personally favor McClelland in general. They do make some good blends, though.

Oh, also Ashton's Artisan's Blend...it's a really nice blend using genuine Syrian latakia :th1:

12. Maharaji

Maharaji Member

Yes, I have heard that the latakia cake will be overruled eventually if I were to smoke another type of blend. Unfortunately, I am pretty broke. Really broke, actually, if you catch my drift! Indeed, this Maharaji is not rich in monetary matters.

So I didn't want to use up tobacco several times in my pipe just so I can start tasting it in its wholeness. I'd rather just go along with the chain I have created. Speaking of which, I took one of the gentleman's request and purchased Tashkent as my first go. That name rang true to me.

...but I still wanted to try a Virginia, so I purchased McClellan's 5100 Red Cake and purchased an MM Pride Corncob to go with it!

I was meaning to try an oriental blend in my Fe.Ro, as I am aware that Latakia is of that type.

Thank you.

13. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Omega from Peretti's, Ivan and his nine brothers and Pirate Kake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.