Recommendations For Someone New

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by mitch11111, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitch11111

mitch11111 Member

I'm fairly new to pipe smoking. I've read a lot about pipe smoking, and spent a lot of time reading through the posts on this site. I know this is a pretty common question, but what is are some tobaccos you can recommend for new smokers?
    From what I've read, I've gathered that Carter Hall is a pretty common tobacco for starters and I plan on trying a bowl of that for sure! I would also like to try an aromatic. Maybe Captain Black, although I hear some good and not so good things about that brand.
    Anyways any recommendations or tips you can send my way would be well appreciated. Thanks!

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Two tobaccos come immediately to my mind. First, Navy Flake from Mac Baren because it's just so well behaved. Burns lukewarm and tastes good.

Frog Morton or Frog Morton on the Town from McClelland - these give a guy a glimpse into a whole different world of pipe tobacco, namely, Latakia and the idea of an "English Mixture". These are campfire/beefjerky instead of cherry/vanilla. A real shock and a real pleasure.

Welcome to the pipe and to the board!

3. Marc

Marc Active Member

I would recommend you get a cob and a pouch of Carter Hall or Prince Albert first to learn the basics of pipe smoking; these tobaccos are easy to use and excellent for learning. They are easy to load, pack and light; they stay lit and smoke easily. Aromatics are not the best tobaccos to learn on in my opinion, most are overly moist and will smoke wet for new smokers. Carter Hall is a sweeter blend than Prince Albert.

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

This is always a difficult one. I think the worst advice most new pipe smokers get is to go for a mild tobacco; this usually results in tongue bite as everyone smokes too fast at the beginning and it takes time to get tecnique spot on.

I'd say best to go for a medium strength tobacco to begin with - staying with it while you work out tecnique and what you like or would change about the taste. If you have a good tobacconist nearby it is worth establishing a good relationship with them - advice samples special orders and discounts can result.

There is at the end of the day no substitute for experimentation - everyone's tastes and preferences are different so you have to build up your own repertoire of flavours and likes. It's a voyage of discovery and don't worry if you've picked up some tobaccos you don't like; you'll have learned something else which'll help next time.

Late in life I've discovered Mac Baren's Navy Flake ( it's a superior St. Bruno which was always a good starter for a British newcomer ) it's easy to use, has a pleasant flavour is around the right strength and is easy to light and keep lit.

Happy smoking

Gerry

5. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Another Carolinian for Carter Hall. Easy to find, easy to fill, easy to light - the $2.00 pouch tastes great from a $4.00 corncob pipe... It's a great, uncomplicated way to enjoy a smoke while learning the mechanics of fluffing, filling, lighting and tamping. And people smell Carter Hall burning and still say, "Ummmm. That nice. Reminds me of my grandpa."

Frog Morton seems like a latakia-content equivalent to Carter Hall; similarly easy to fill, light and tamp. Frog Morton is a gentle, easy way into english tobacco if you get bored with Carter Hall after a pouch or two.

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Welcome to pipe smoking pal ! If you have a smoke shop near by I'd say pay him a visit cause you'll only end up there later anyway . All the advice so far is right on . I'd say give whatever blends you mentioned a try [ or other blends ] and see how it goes . Some stay lit easy and others don't . Both S.W.R and S.W.R aromatic are easy to lite and keep going as well as others mentioned . I guess report back after you've given them some time with whatever problem you might have . Fill your pipe , tamp it and smoke . give it a week . More than likely with easy to lite blends you'll be a happy son of a lumberjack . :coffee:

7. Neuromancer

Neuromancer Member

Welcome...one I've found that burns cool, has a nice sweet flavor, and very little to no tongue bite is McClelland's #5105 bulk...it's a stoved virginia, probably started as #5100...

8. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

If you were previously a non smoker I'd say start with something with very, very little nicotine like 1Q.

9. SBritton

SBritton Member

I second this! Carter Hall is cheap and a amazing blend for a local drug store variety. Check out Boswell Tobaccos. They are great people with great recommendations.

http://www.boswellpipes.com/tobaccoblends.html

If you would like something really different. Ask for AAA Latakia.

10. Gondar

Gondar Member

How much can one experiment with different tobaccos in the same pipe. I hear ghosts from past bowls can have a bad influence? Need I consider a new pipe every time I want to try something new. On the other hand a pipe that has not been broken in can perhaps not give a proper representation of a particular tobacco either?

11. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

I belive thats why Marc recommended a cob pipe. My understanding is they do not
    ghost like briar does. But I could be wrong.

12. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

You don't need a pipe for every blend, but some blends are so different that they will make others taste "off". Latakia (English) mixtures usually don't mix well with danish style aromatics, for example.

13. nobler son

nobler son Member

Cobs can still ghost. I have one that still smells faintly of cherry from one of my previous indiscretions (Paladin Black Cherry, a tobac that all would do well to avoid). I think it is generally harder to ghost a cob but, unfortunately, still possible.

Also, I am another advocate for Frog Morton on the Town. If Carter Hall/Prince Albert teaches you how to fill a bowl and keep it lit, FMOTT teaches you how to actually taste the tobacco.

14. Gondar

Gondar Member

Many thanks. Pipesmoking is more of an art than I would have thought. :jig:

15. Stoked

Stoked Member

Even though I'm experienced can I try Carter Hall as well? LOL after all the talk here, I just ran out to my local Rite Aid specifically looking for a pouch of CH. Done. Now some lunch, then a nice smoke out of one of my cobs. Happiness...

By the way, I've recently fallen in love with Sail Yellow. Not much talk about it here, but it's one hell of a good smoke. It's good for beginners as well, for all the previously stated reasons. If you can find it, check it out!

16. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

You won't regret that decision, Perique! Carter Hall is a fine smoke and easy on the wallet too. I prefer CH to every other OTC I've had so far. It can also be blended with other Middleton tobaccos.

Bri2k

17. SBritton

SBritton Member

Yes!

18. Marc

Marc Active Member

Ok guys, some tobaccos can ghost a cob, smoke about 5 or 6 bowls of Prince Albert to remove the ghost of a previously smoked blend. Don't ask me how or why, but it works! :goodjob:

19. Stoked

Stoked Member

OK, so I'm now officially deflowered. Puffing on some now in a virgin cob to boot. Not bad. Silky smooth, cool, no bite, good burning, and very nice flavor that continues to evolve in the bowl. There is a hint of SWR there, I can taste it through about mid bowl. But overall it's better than SWR. Superb sweetness. CH will probably come in at #2 for me for OTC. I got a thing for Sail Yellow, but I can see how CH would be the better choice for a beginner.

What did you say SBritton? "It's like a good meal" as I recall. That's one of the reasons why I ran out and got me some. https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/bing.gif

20. Stoked

Stoked Member

Since you are out resident cob expert, errr, umm, enthusiast Marc, have you ever had any success in sweetening up a soured cob? I had one go sour and rather than toss it, I just ran some vodka through it. I hope that works...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.