1. Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
    Dismiss Notice

Rediscovered M79 - An initial Impression

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by RTOdhner, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

My shipment from Pipes and Cigars.Com arrived today, and in it was the pouch of Mixture 79 that I ordered. Mixture 79, or M79 as it is commonly referred, is a tobacco that is greatly derided here at PSF. I am not the least among its detractors, even though I haven't actually smoked any since about 1980.

All I can remember about it from that long ago decade, in the previous century, was that it had a horrific soapy taste to it. At the time I found it horrendous, and tossed it after two or three bowls. I've since made friends with that soapy characteristic, and now know the name for it - Lakeland Essence. Well, there are a couple of distinct Lakeland essences, and one of them is the "Granny's Arse Soap" version. As I recall, M79 had the Granny's Arse vibe going.

But like I said, I've since made friends with that vibe, and actually enjoy it. So, I decided that I would finally give M79 the fair hearing it deserves. So, with cob in hand I went to trial and I'm glad I did. It's a wonderful blend, although this verdict is based upon a single first bowl and may be subject to change.

Upon opening the pouch, my nose was met with a strong anise and vanilla aroma, and this was very similar to Sutliff Great Outdoors. So far so good, cuz I like that blend. The "Grannny's Arse" character did not come across in the pouch note, but it did on the light-up - a light floral flavor that comes on strong for the first puff or too, but then calms down and disappears into the background. It's a breeze to pack using the "Codger Scoop" method, and takes a light very well. Once going, it stays lighted to the end.

My initial impression that this is a pretty good blend that deserves a better reputation than it has, and in my case I'm glad to be eating crow. If I was to describe it as anything, it would be Sutliff's Great Outdoors with a light dash of Kendal Sauce. Not too bad for $5USD a pouch, and I'll be happily smoking some more of this.

2. sonarman

sonarman Member

I've been on the fence and almost picked some up today. Will scoop up a pouch tomorrow.

ChristTiger and RTOdhner like this.
  3. DS86

DS86 Member

I didn't like Virginias the 1st time around, love them today. I might give m79 another chance.

4. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

Nice review.

I don't really object to the perfume since I'm an outright fanboy of G&H blends like Coniston and Bosun and of St. Bruno. It's the licorice I can't stand. With the exception of Erinmore Flake, I really dislike that flavor in tobacco--H&H's Classic Burley Cake, Germain's Plum Cake, etc. Other than that, M79 smokes pretty much like most of the OTCs that are still on the market.

5. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Anise and I do not get along, or I would go try it. I do like some lakelands though....
    Thank you for writing this review, and having the guts to post it!

ChristTiger, jhguthlac and RTOdhner like this.
  6. Smarty Jones

Smarty Jones Active Member

Great review.

7. phatdaddynxn

phatdaddynxn Member

M79 has its place,my father likes it. I personally hate it. That's the great thing about PSF, you can see others opinions on tobacco. Good review friend, glad ya gave it another go.

8. esteban

esteban Active Member

great review, but this dog will still stay clear of that baccys memory............

p120d16y, BradNTX and RTOdhner like this.
  9. RTOdhner

I smoked a second bowl on my drive to work tonight. The underlying tobacco flavor is Burley, and that Burley goodness came shining through. It's not a high-end Burley like Solani ABF, but a good old codger Burley. I looked it up on TR, and their write-up indicates that it is just plain Burley; however, the tobacco in the pouch is a mixture of tan, light brown, and medium brown tobaccos...it almost looks like Half and Half. So, I'm guessing that there is more to this than just straight Burley, but as of my second bowl I cannot discern anything other leaf. (Maybe as I continue to explore this blend I figure it out).

It paired nicely with the travel mug full of Yuban that I consumed on the drive up to work. I don't think that this is gonna be a morning blend for me, but it will be one of those blends I keep around for the weekend when the Missus and I enjoy a nice evening coffee and some pie. Two bowls later, my verdict is still the same - it's Sutliff Great Outdoors with a light dash of lakeland essence type flavoring. I like it a lot, and I think I'll order a few tubs... and a few more when those are gone.

ChristTiger and p120d16y like this.
  10. RTOdhner

I can see why a lot of people do not like it, because it's got a Lakelandesque quality to it - and a serious dose of anise and vanilla flavoring. It's not gonna be like anything you've ever tried, unless you've tried Sutliff Great Outdoors or some of the GH blends that have the floral scent. It's not anything like Carter Hall, Prince Albert, or Sir Walter Raleigh, but now that I think about it it does have kind of a similar flavor as Half and Half - but a whole lot stronger.

ChristTiger likes this.
  11. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I am currently smoking a bowl of M79. I had a sample "gifted" to me a while back, and decided to finish it off. Its not bad. I dont get the floral quality as much as others apparently, because, for me, after the light up, it has little to no floral essence at all. I get a strong vanilla and anise flavor...but I like that.

ChristTiger, p120d16y and RTOdhner like this.
  12. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

When you sober up give it another go. I'll be surprised if you have the same thoughts.

DogTalker, jdto, ChristTiger and 8 others like this.
  13. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

M79 is like Paladin. Over the top hideous flavouring to compensate for B grade leaf. The first few puffs are merely strongly flavoured but the rest of the smoke will be akin to cased rubber bands. The pipe you smoke it in will also taste/smell like M79 forever. All of this of course is just my opinion......:ngty:

ChristTiger, p120d16y, dwaugh and 6 others like this.
  14. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I fully agree with Hawkwood on this. I fully understand that there are those who perhaps like it. Me however--I have tried this on several occassions and cannot get past what I term as the urinal puck casing. I also agree with what ever type of tobacco is used--be it Burley or other--it was of low grade or quality at least when I last tried it. I will note--I will NOT EVER be trying it again. Sorry this is just my opinion and as was said--if you enjoy it--hey thats all that counts--I am happy with and for you.:th1:

15. sonarman

sonarman Member

Just got back from the tobacco shop with a pouch of M79. The pouch note is anise and violet (if you have ever had those purple square breath mints that come wrapped in foil and are labeled violet) you know what I mean. I will report back after I smoke some.

ChristTiger and dwaugh like this.
  16. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Are you are sure you want to set fire to that.

ChristTiger, dwaugh, sonarman and 2 others like this.
  17. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

:popc:

18. RTOdhner

Hhhmm... may not have worked out so well for Sonar. His last reported activity was firing-up the M79, and he hasn't been heard from since - and that was hours ago.

jdto, ChristTiger, Rodfather and 5 others like this.
  19. RTOdhner

Well, the tobacco is not the same quality as found in SG or GH products - but few blends are of that quality. It's typical Codger Burley, and just as good as any found in the major OTC's like Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Walnut, Half and Half, or Sir Walter Raleigh. OTC's are like anything else, you either like them or not and do so for their own merits. They're not the equal of the high end tobaccos, but they're not meant to be. I don't think that this means that they are inferior. It just means that they are meant to be enjoyed during those times when you don't want to smoke the expensive stuff. Kind of like the common table wines consumed by the French and Italians at affairs that do not warrant breaking out the good stuff - like regular meals.

jdto, ChristTiger, p120d16y and 2 others like this.
  20. sonarman

sonarman Member

Ok, I'm alive ! It's not so bad. Probably the time of year but it tastes like some Christmas candle and SWR tobacco. It's not something I would treasure for those special moments. But it's blended for old time tastes IMHO. I'll smoke some more and see how it does as time goes on but I won't be throwing it away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.