1. Unique, Original Reviews Only

Please do not post reviews from other websites. Reviews found posted on other sites will be deleted.
    Dismiss Notice

Rediscovered M79 - An initial Impression

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco Reviews' started by RTOdhner, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Member

RTO, Excellent thread. Good to see someone sticking up for M79. It was so common when I was a kid. The room note says 'pipe smoker' to me. It's at least one of the reasons I like it.

ChristTiger, p120d16y and RTOdhner like this.

2. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Friends don't let friends smoke Mix #79. Admit it RTO, you tried to yank our chain.

jdto, ChristTiger, p120d16y and 5 others like this.
  3. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

Just checking in on this thread to see if RTO is starting an online magazine and keeping more nekkid wimmin around than he knows what to do with.

jdto, ChristTiger, p120d16y and 2 others like this.
  4. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Not trying to yank your chain - I really do like it. However, Hugh said he'd give me Susan Anton if I started smoking M79 so of course I had to give it a go. :ngty:

jdto, ChristTiger, p120d16y and 2 others like this.
  5. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

RTO, how would you compare Mix 79 to Condor?

ChristTiger and p120d16y like this.
  6. RTOdhner

Condor is an outstanding UK OTC blend, and it has that "unique" flavor/scent to it. M79 is a decent US OTC blend that has a similar flavor/scent when I first light it up. However, where as the Condor Lakelandesque flavor stays for the duration of the smoke, the Lakelandesque flavor in M79 quickly fades into the background and a medium-strength anise/vanilla flavor comes to the forefront and stays for the duration of the smoke. I think the flavoring used in M79 does a nice job of complimenting the underlying Burley tobacco, just as the Lakeland-type flavoring used in Condor does a nice job of complimenting the underlying Virginia tobacco. However, I've now smoked enough of the M79 to question whether there is any floral flavor/scent added to it at all. It might just be the interaction of the anise, vanilla, and flavor of the Burley tobacco that happens to mimic a floral Lakeland essence to a certain degree.

I hope my OP wasn't taken to mean that I think M79 is an awesome blend. I don't think it is. I think that it's a nice enough American OTC that has been unfairly maligned over the years - and I am guilty of doing my fair share of that maligning. It's a pleasant smoke that harkens back to a time when American pipe smokers had a different understanding of what makes a good blend. I like it, and I'd buy more of it... even a tub or two. However, it's not on the same level as Condor.

M79 is comprised of good old codger Burley, and is a decent Yank OTC blend. Condor is a good old codger Virginia, and is a pretty damn good Brit OTC blend. In this case, I think that the Brits have trounced us Yanks in the OTC department. I think Condor is clearly a better blend than M79. (However, I think our SWR trounces their Condor so the score is even).

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  7. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

I wasn't completely put off by M79, Roy. I smoked a couple of bowls from a sample someone sent. I think the strong licorice taste is what keeps me from liking it. I hate those black jelly beans.

8. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I see M79 has warped your brain...

ChristTiger, p120d16y, Albert and 2 others like this.
  9. RTOdhner

Gotta call it like I see it.

ChristTiger and Albert like this.
  10. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

This is what happens if you smoke M79 and inhale.
    [​IMG]
    You will never look or be the same.

Dimik, jdto, Yossarian and 8 others like this.
  11. RTOdhner

I damn near spit my coffee through my nose. I don't care who you are, that there is funny. :laff:

12. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

Bought a pouch last year. Smoked four or five bowls of it. Threw it in the trash and immediately took the trash out. I dislike the smell and/or the taste of cheap perfume.

13. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Nice review,I keep 2 pipes for smoking 79 a cob& a Medico brylon.

14. ChristTiger

ChristTiger Active Member

I've had 2oz in jar for a few months now, still haven't tried it. I guess I'm aging to make it even better.....:rolleyes:

Rodfather likes this.
  15. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

No, you're only making it older.

critter likes this.
  16. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

Is there any record anywhere on what Mixtures 1 through 78 were? To put it mildly, if M79 was the best they could come up with the previous attempts must have been "interesting".

RTOdhner, Calvinandpipe and Hawkwood like this.
  17. RTOdhner

I heard that the CIA has the secret formula for M78, which is how they whacked Stalin.

Old Codger, KleinToit and jdto like this.
  18. craig

craig Active Member

Sorry thread jack roy but how m79 is maligned the same goes for borkum riff bourbon.
    Ive heard numerous insults thrown its way about how it burns hotter than hell.
    But i find it a good qaulity dependable nice tasting smoke.
    Like m79 it has been around for years sure both are an aquired taste but if borkum bourbon went off the market i would nourn its passing

19. RTOdhner

Borkum Riff is another blend that I once maligned, but recently gave it a proper hearing and came to the conclusion that it's an enjoyable line of tobacco. I recently revisited their Original and Bourbon offerings, and found both to be very enjoyable. The trick, I found, is to sip them. Puff on them like a freight train, and they earn their reputation as tongue scorchers. Ah, but sipped they are both quite nice.

I think I'll revisit Paladin at some point. M79, Borkum Riff, and Paladin have oft been the focus of my scorn. However, I've changed my tune on both M79 and BR. This being the case, maybe Paladin isn't as bad as I remember.

20. craig

craig Active Member

I tried the original a few weeks into pipe smoking puffed on it and found it a bit of a scorcher but i bought a pack in crete after enjoying the bourbon and ill be opening it soon so hopefully now i have learned to sip itl be a good companion on my trip to scotland in march

RTOdhner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.