REDNECK GATHERS BACCY

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jeebs, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Just thought I'd show putin Baccy on Baccy stiks so I can hang them to cure the Baccy. Jeebs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. basil

basil Member

wow thats awesome.

My aunt and uncle use to have a tobacco crop when i was younger. I remember spending days and days in there gathering leaves so they could be hung to dry.

those leaves do look alot bigger that what i remember tho.

3. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Wow Jeebs, that's awesome! Thanks for posting, my mouth's watering just looking at all that baccy!

4. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Looks like fun, Jeebs! If I could join you out there I would. Great pics, too!

Dutchking22 likes this.
  5. Scottly

Scottly Member

You look like your enjoying yourself Jeebs. I notice you are removing the leaves from the stock, way back when I hired out to cut baccy we chopped the whole stalk down. We would first drive a baccy stick in the ground and put a sharp pointy cone on top the stick. Then we would take the baccy stalk at the bottom end and spear it onto the stick, the pointy cone is what did the spearing. We would put 6 stalks or so on a stick with the tails or tops all pointing Southwest I think it was, so the sun would not scald them. After about a week we would pull stick and all up, pile it on the wagon and take it to the barn for hanging.
    I like your way better Jeebs, them stalks made for heavy lifting.

6. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

When I first started growing 5-6 years ago, Thats the way I did it. I had a Baccy spear made and would stick on top off Baccy stik. and hang them upside down. Now I know what happened, I didn't have the tops pointing southwest.... Thanks for the info... Jeebs...

7. Scottly

Scottly Member

Double check that info Jeebs I could be wrong on the direction, it was 30 years ago and I would hate for baccy to go bad cause of me.

8. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

You must be having fun. I'm envious!:bow:

Dutchking22 likes this.
  9. Scottly

Scottly Member

[​IMG]

Jeebs likes this.
  10. Sawbones

Sawbones Member

How long do you hang the baccy like that?

11. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

Nice work! Is that Burley you're growin?

12. Beale

Beale Active Member

Great picture! Thanks for sharing, Beale.

13. Scottly

Scottly Member

I just wanted to give everybody an idea what Jeebs an I was talking about with turning all the tops the same way. This is so the sides all get equal sunlight. This process is called scaffolding. Its purpose is to speed or aid the drying process so you can hang the tobacco closer together in the barn, takes up less space. You cant just hang green baccy in the barn, it is heavy and needs good air flow around it. If I remember right you leave it in the field this way for about a week. When you hang it in the barn you spread the stalks out on the sticks, My avatar is what it looks like hanging in the barn.

Jeebs, SmokeyJoe and telltime like this.
  14. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Wow, Jeebs, no gloves and smokin' while pickin'! Was the world vibrating a little by the time you were done? :)

15. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

Great picture Jeebs. What kind is it, and do you smoke it? If so, how is it?

16. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

When I was "lucky" enough to do a tobacco harvest, we staked the whole stalk as describe by Scottly. The rationale was that sap from the stalk would drain into the leaves, though whether that was for protection from too-fast drying or for some other reason, I didn't hear.

It's hard work, and I don't ever want to see a curing barn from the top rafters again. ;)

SmokeyJoe likes this.
  17. telltime

telltime Active Member

Boy, does that take me back to the early fall days when I was a kid in NC!! Great photo, and thank you!

18. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

The "Gentleman Farmer" lives on. Great pics, thanks for letting us city folk in on the process.

19. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

Well there was an earthquake here in Baltimore.

20. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

We use to cut ours, stalk and all in August. We then let it set in the field for 5 days. We would then hang it in the barn until the end of November. At this time we would wait for it to rain, so the tobacco would come in "case", this means the tobacco is moist enough to handle. If you do not allow this to happen it just crumbles in your hands. We would then strip the leaves off the stalks and twist them and press them. Then off to market it would go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.