1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

refurbishing estate merschaum

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by haikucub, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haikucub

haikucub Member

i'm looking for some help refurbishing an estate barling bulldog meerschaum that i recently acquired. the pipe is in outstanding condition except that it smells like it's been stored in a dungeon for the past forty years. it literally has that dank basement/musty antique shop smell. it's not faint, though. in fact, it's begun to make my entire study smell like a basement.

i've been smoking it as regularly as possible, with latakia as much as possible, and that has managed to take the edge off the smell it initially had (the first few bowls full were nasty, to say the least). i've managed to get it to the point where there's no mustiness while it's being smoked, but i feel like its non-smoking scent hasn't improved in a few weeks.

i'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, or has some advice on how to get rid of the smell, apart from just continuing to smoke it.

thanks in advance.

2. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

Off the top, dmkerr would be who I would ask first. but just a thought

haikucub likes this.
  3. haikucub

haikucub Member

thanks for the tip - just sent the query that way.

4. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

5. haikucub

haikucub Member

holy what! aflaowo, do you know if this is legit? sounds promising.

6. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

Walker has been around a long time, and they do good work from what I have read and been told

7. derrickyoung

derrickyoung Member

That Ozone process works. We have used it on Hockey Equipment for years now and I have heard many positive reviews regarding pipes as well

8. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

Walker Pipe Repair has been used by several people on the forum. He is most certainly legitimate.

9. haikucub

haikucub Member

awesome! thanks for the help. i got a good deal on this pipe and have been very happy with it, apart from the funk. without that drawback, it could move into the top spot in my collection.

10. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

You're welcome.

Welcome to the forum by the way! :)

haikucub likes this.
  11. haikucub

haikucub Member

thanks! it's been a pleasure being on - lots of helpful advice, and fun to see what others are smoking or tracking down.

12. haikucub

haikucub Member

here's a look at the bully in question. really love this pipe.[​IMG]

afiaowo and derrickyoung like this.
  13. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

How do you clean dirt off a meer? I have one that is just dirty, old dust and grime. I want to remove the dirt but keep the coloring and shine.

I know your supposed to wax meer's, is there a proper way to apply the wax? and what type of wax should I use? I'm just guessing that Turtle Wax is not the way to go.

Thuber88 likes this.
  14. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

You can clean the dirt and grime by mixing up a few drops of dish detergent in a bowl, and use a SOFT toothbrush to gently scrub the exterior. Let it dry for a good 24 hrs somewhere warm....not direct heat. After that, do a search for meer waxing on here...there have been a few threads over the last year or so.....
    Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.