Rehydrating blues

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Capt Ahab, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt Ahab

Capt Ahab Member

hi all :). so captain ahab did a little rummaging through his tobacco collection today to see what tobacco would be best for a Christmas day smoke, and when he found the blend that he wanted to save for the festivities and opened the tin, there she be, a tragic sight that im sure all of you have seen before at one time or another the tobacco was bone dry :doh:. Now ive heard of ways to rehydrate tobacco, but i was wondering if any of you have ever had any experience in this field?

2. jkstewart1

jkstewart1 Member

I don't post much, but I have found that placing the tobacco in a 'reaction-proof' bowl (stainless or glass) and draping it with a kitchen towel that's been moistened with distilled water does the trick. Start with a few hours and then check it every so often until you reach your desired level of moisture. Use distilled water in case any would leak into the 'baccy so you won't be as subject to mold.
    Someone else can probably shed more light on the subject. Hope it helps.

3. user1975

user1975 Active Member

+1

4. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

What JK said above is spot on. Also I remember in one forum a poster said he loaded his pipe with the tobacco, plugged the top of the bowl with his thumb, and breathed into the tobacco through the stem for a few minutes and let the warm moisture from his breathe moisten the tobacco a bit. Dont know since I havent tried it yet, but just a thought if you need to MacGyver it whilst out in the field.

zirrow likes this.
  5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

jk's method works a lot of the time, but some blends never come back to full flavor if they go tinder dry - usually latakia blends. What tobacco is it?

Mark w4mms likes this.
  6. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

I've re-hydrated several types of tobacco using the Gladware method.
    [​IMG]
    I use a quart size container so that 2 oz of tobacco can be spread evenly on the bottom, and then place a damp paper towel over the top.

[​IMG]
    I let it sit overnight, and it's ready to smoke.
    I used this method recently on some very dry Balkan Sobranie from the 90's, and the resultant smoke was sublime.

Capt Ahab, dmkerr and Mark w4mms like this.
  7. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

And yez got that cool hydro-meter thingy too! :thu:

Capt Ahab and SmokeyJoe like this.
  8. neoclassical

neoclassical Member

+1

9. Capt Ahab

Capt Ahab Member

excellent thanks guys :toast: . the tobacco blend consists of burley, virginias, and black cavendish. ima have to give it a whirl tomarrow.

10. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

Obviously you're a smart guy, Capt Ahab. Well be looking for more from you.

Ol Brokedik.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.