Relights?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by avmech20, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avmech20

avmech20 Member

:blah: I'm back!!!! You guys are gonna get tired of me for sure. ;) I know that it's important to smoke a bowl to the finish to make a good cake in the stummel. most times I have to smoke are in the car or just quick 5 or 10 minute intervals, so my question is what do you EXPERTS think about relighting a bowl after it's sat for a while? even after a few hours? since my palet isn't quite as sensitive to the subtle flavors I guess I don't really notice too much difference in taste, but I was worried about the overall lasting effect it may have on the flavor of the pipe itself.

2. Smokey

Smokey Member

I do it all the time. I change car pipes every day and give em a good rest and all seems to be well. I have tried it using more pipes and it only increases pipe cleaning. I also stick to cheap toby, that way if I want to just dump it, I can.

3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

It's called DGT Delayed Gratification Technique, works great for most leaf with Va's and Lats excelling. Nothing wrong with putting aside an unfinished bowl and coming back later. Enjoy!

Ed
    Puff

4. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Ed, this is well said, but is your short version. You are the one that taught me one of the best DGT enhancement techniques... If you put your pipe down long enough for the tobacco to go cold, blow gently through the stem to expel the old stale smoke from the chamber.

Man, has this helped me save a few DGT bowls and shown me that they can even be improved in flavor after sitting.

Thanks Ed! :bing:

5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

That was gonna be my next post! I may as well go smoke the rest of my bowl.....you've got it under control! Thanks!

Yeah, blow out the stale smoke, it'll be better...you'll see!

Ed
    Puff

HCraven likes this.
  6. avmech20

avmech20 Member

you know, I noticed the second time I would light up the bowl it did have a different feel to it all together. Not necessarily a bad feel, but definitely some different flavors and maybe even a little different draw. it's like having two different baccy blends in one :)

7. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Some Toby DGT's great. Others, not so much.

8. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Light 'er back up... sometimes it's worth it... :bing:

9. ryan65

ryan65 Member

I accidentally let some gawith FVF sit for over a day and lit it up and was shocked how clean it smoked, i mean no alteration of flavor what so ever besides a slightly spicier taste from the first couple of puffs.

10. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I've never really given this much thought as I mainly smoke a Diplomat cob and Burley blends which are a short smoke for me anyway, although I have re-lighted some Virginia blends in the past after a day or two and enjoyed them just as much as the first light.

11. AK Kilted Guy

AK Kilted Guy Member

Do you dump the ashes and leave the unburned toby if you are going to come back to it?

12. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

There is even one blend, McClellands Virginia #25, that I only smoke via DGT. I fill my bowl, light it and immediately let it sit for at least a hour.

DGT elevates this blend from "good but unmemorable" to "outstanding".

13. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

+1. It really makes a difference.

14. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I normally don't, but that's just me. I blow gently through the stem to get the stale out. Give it a light tamp to flaten the top and relight. If it tastes good, I puff on. If it's not good... there's 2 options. No other toby on hand, I might smoke it anway depending on the level of decline. If I have some fresh, I dump it.

Elwin and AK Kilted Guy like this.
  15. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I relight fairly often. It doesn't seem to damage either the English blends or the Va flakes I'm using. So far, relighting the pipe has had much better results than relighting cigars usually had. But I've never left it more than a few hours.

16. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I'm a bit different from Brad in that I'll
    dump the top ash from a cold bowl, and
    then relight. There are no wrongs in a
    DGT'd bowl. However you see fit. YMMV, etc.

AK Kilted Guy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.