Relights

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Hofnar, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hofnar

Hofnar Member

I was out fishing yesterday. My reel (or the line, rather) misbehaved and I spent most of tje time swering inside a cloud of pipe smoke while trying to untangle the bl**dy mess. Then it dawned on me (and caused me to smile, actually): It´s a good thing I don´t have to relight my pipe! And it was! And is! as it were my trusty briar kept my spirits up during the ordeal. If I´d had to constantly relight the thing I´d probably been reduced to tears (or, more likely, throwed tha pipe in the water).

So, it is a good thing to be able to smoke a pipe without having to relight it now and again, at least if you´re doing somethng else while you are smoking. If all you do is to sit around and smoke and have an endless supply of matches (or a topped up Zippo) at hand iy is, of course, no biggie if the pepe should die on you but in other situations it can be almost infuriating.

Puffstone, Gothicmace and critter like this.

2. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Member

Did you catch any fish?

3. Gothicmace

Gothicmace Member

Your story reminded me of the first time I used an open spool reel... yeah that was hours and hours and hours of fun. I would have just cut the line.. but I had one of my dads treasured spoons he got up in Canada on the other end... Yes... the pipe made the whole experience more relaxing.. if you can call undoing about 200 yards of fishing line a relaxing event. :)

4. CavenFish

CavenFish Active Member

Nothing like a good backlash. I remember when the fancy adjustable counter weight reels came out. Damn you Shimano could be heard from me, all over the lake. What a fiasco that was for awhile, took me forever to get it adjusted right.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  5. Hofnar

Hofnar Member

Chicken dinner.

6. Hofnar

Hofnar Member

This was an open face spinning reel but with a braided (touted as "super") line. Utter crap, if you ask me. Nothing wrong with good old nylon!

Gothicmace likes this.
  7. DODiF

DODiF Member

I'm still trying to get to this part of expertise in pipe smoking. Right now I'm still in that "sometimes I dont have to relight so much" phase. Lol

Doc Sixstring likes this.
  8. NYblacksmith

NYblacksmith Member

A bad day fishing is better than a good day working.

Ernest, Coastal Bend, critter and 2 others like this.
  9. vmfa314

vmfa314 Member

Braided line does have its place. As a former avid Black Seabass, Tautog(blackfish) and Porgy fisherman the braided line translated into much more sensitivity to feeling the slight bites these fish have. The downside was when the sinker got caught in the rocks you had to cut the line as far forward as you could to save as much of the expensive line as possible. Then I was shown how to use a rubber band to attach the sinker to the main line and voila now all I lost was the sinker and rubber band. Back lash is something everyone has to deal with but can be controlled by keeping a slight bit of pressure on the line.
    I no longer fish due to a back injury( I can not stand for hours on end anymore)but I do miss it.
    Mack

10. Hofnar

Hofnar Member

Yeah, well, my point is that not having to relight the pipe every other minute sometimes is crucial so keeping ones pipe going it´s a skill well worth mastering.

dying breed likes this.
  11. NYblacksmith

NYblacksmith Member

I just noticed your user name, Semper Fi from another old air winger.

Those "superlines" do have their place but I like the old tried & true braided dacron for trolling. I fish fresh water and mostly for muskellunge. If I am trolling and my plugs run afoul of weeds (common) I find it much more convenient to leave the rod in its holder and bring in the line hand over hand into the boat while still running to get the weed gob in hand and rid it then drop the plug back in the drink, see it's running true and feed the line back out. This can't be done with the newer super braids because any amount of pull on the line can cause it to slice through your hand to the bone.

Best regards, Daniel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.