Remember When?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by njenkins, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njenkins

njenkins Member

There was that Altadis sampler you could get free? I just got that in the mail! 6 months later!! I was confused with the package I didn't know what it was. I opened it and it's Sutliff Private Stock No. 5. That sampler is the only source I can think where it came from. 6mos?? Great turnaround. Ha ha.

What are the opinions on No. 5? It smells okish.. Do I try it or chuck it?

2. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

The had sent me great outdoors which was their version of field and stream. I still don't have the sand to try and smoke it...my turnaound was about 4 months. But I had been told they do them in batches, i.e. they wait till they have a sizable number of requests and then send out the tins.

Andrew

3. Marc

Marc Active Member

Free is free, regardless how long it takes to arrive, don't complain. :eek: :(

4. njenkins

njenkins Member

Very true. It's an ok lil tobacco. A slightly sweet very light english blend. Another one for the cellar. Guess your right, you just can't beat free.. :bing:

5. Neuromancer

Neuromancer Member

Remember when? I remember about five or so years ago when you requested a free sampler from them you got a big box with about 22 different tobaccos...

6. Marc

Marc Active Member

These are different times for sure, heavy handed tobacco regulations, tobacco taxes on the rise, it's a wonder tobacco companies are even offering free samples anymore. https://pipesmokersforum.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/puffy.gif

7. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

probably trying to liquidate stock so they don't have to do it all at once when the government bans tobacco or makes its sale completely impossible.

8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I find no.5, well, ok. Not any orientals of note made it kinda flat for an English. That said, finished a tin and picked up another for the hell of it...$2.29 makes for easy decisions.

9. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Most tobacco manufacturers don't offer free samples anymore, but Altadis does and still does send them out. The are the most consumer driven company in the business. They are still introducing new blends. I just wish they wuld cut down on the preservatives as they do make some good blends.

10. Kilgore965

Kilgore965 Member

I emailed Altadis inquiring about getting a sample of their Match blends. They asked me which ones I'd like to try and I told them to pick a few of any but two of the blends. A few weeks later a box arrived with 8 tins of tobacco in it. They had sent me a tin of everything but the two I wasn't interested in. I applaud a company that puts their product out there for free so the consumer and make an informed decision whether they want to buy it of not.

So far I've only opened Great Outdoors. When I first opened the tin it was too moist and smelled heavily of anise. I let it sit open for 24 hours and it dried sufficiently and the anise odor had subsided a lot. It wasn't too bad then. After sitting a week it actually became pretty good. Once this tin is done, then I'll open another and let you know my opinions. I'm sure you all know what they say about opinions. :usa:

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Altadis is a big operation ! If anyone can swing free samples it's those guys .I got great outdoors as a sample from their website in about 2-3 weeks .It was good but didn't produce enough smoke for me in any pipe and seemed nicotine lacking . Gotta have a fix when I smoke .. lol. ... they've got alot of blends and I'm sure many good ones

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.