1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Removing old finish from pipe

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by fallsguy, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fallsguy

fallsguy Member

What is the best way to remove an old finish from a pipe? I notice that the finish is worn or peeling on a few of my pipes, so I want to remove the finish, and then either oil or wax them. I'm thinking about ordinary paint stripper, but wonder if that would be too harsh. Any suggestions?

2. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

High-proof alcohol should do it. Everclear, 151 rum, something like that.

3. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

I did it once with some bourbon... it took a while, but it worked a treat.

4. Bear84

Bear84 Member

Many pipe stains are alcohol based hence the warnings most give about using high proof alcohol to clean the innards while being careful to avoid the finish. Sounds like you want to do the opposite of that warning. I would avoid paint strippers, nasty bunch of chemicals that you may not want to expose your pipe to. On the plus side, if you use 151 or Everclear (if you can get it where you live) you can take a sip, work on the pipe...repeat...

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  5. fallsguy

fallsguy Member

Actually I have some 151. Was using it to clean some other pipes. I think that too much of this could take the finish off anyone's pipes! I will try it....on the pipe I mean! I wasn't aware that pipe finishes were alcohol based.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.