Resealing tins?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ArmedOctopus, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

I thought it was one of your vids.

Inspgad, jpberg and dwaugh like this.

2. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

...and jars can be snazzied up;
    [​IMG]

3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Sweet Mary and Joseph .

4. Morse

Morse Active Member

The extent to which people will go to avoid the one tried and true method of storing tobacco amazes me.

MASON JARS!

That is all

Inspgad, jpberg, MikeInMaine and 4 others like this.
  5. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

1. Pic or it didnt happen.
    2. Dwaugh...get on this with a video to show us newbs how to REALLY seal a tin.

6. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

I know where you're coming from, I've got an attachment to tins too, partly because of the artwork, partly because they remind me of my grandad and his tins of Golden Virginia rolling tobacco. I have, though, started using jars for stuff I order in bulk, those pouches just aren't good at keeping tobacco fresh. I've only jarred one tin so far - some Orlik Bull's Eye, and it keeps remarkably well, certainly impressed me enough to think about getting some more in.

Inspgad likes this.
  7. Tycho

Tycho Member

What I have done to seal tins is wrapping a round of electrical tape along the seam. This should give you an airtight seal. Tho the oldest opened tin is just two months old but the humidity has stayed the same.

I have used this method in survival tins that I put under 3ft water for 24h to check that they aren't letting any water in.

Dunno how long the tobacco remains at the same humidity, but I keep opening the tin once a month until I've smoked it. Should give me 6 more months.

8. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I already made a video on sealing tins

Here is the photo of my how glue test. I put some in the void between the two pieces, and some just on the tin. Mostly I wanted to see how well it would stick. The glue didn't stick well as you can see; it peeled right off. As Tycho suggested, electrical tape might be better. I always use jars because they are cheap, and tobacco is not.
    [​IMG]

Morse and BernardLerring like this.
  9. SthrnMan

SthrnMan Member

Hot glue if for amatures. Get some J.B. Weld!

10. Tycho

Tycho Member

Hot glue is just a cheap way to glue something together. Doesn't need much of heat variations for the glue coming off. Hot glue doesn't stick well to anything hard and smooth.

If you are into gluing, I'd use silicone based glue. Sticks great, don't care about the change in temperature because of its flexibility. For longer storing silicone is safer bet that electric tape.
    :
    And if you really like playing with the toys, you can always insert a hygrometer inside the tin or if you feel adventurous make a hole on the top of the tin, place the hygrometer on too of the tin and use this tin to measure the humidity on the tobacco

I have six 0.5l glass jars with a silicone seal. On these jars are Amphora (rh 64) and Half & Half (rh 62)

I have one aluminium jar I use for slowly drying the tobacco. This jar has 8 holes poked around it and hygrometer is sealed on the top of the tin (made thar hole just for that =).

11. DanR

DanR Member

I travel quite a but, and take open tins with me as I go. On most occasions, the metal tins will have a vacuum seal again after I get to my destination - from the pressurization in the airplane. I'm wondering if you couldn't use one if those kitchen vacuum sealers to suck out all the air in your tins and basically "reseal" them?

Doesn't really matter to me, I use mason jars for storage, but just curious...

12. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

I've used the vacuume sealer with the canister attachment, just put the tin in the canister,pull a vacuum on it then remove the tin, resealed. I'm not sure how long it would hold, but it will reseal.

13. Yankee Bill

Yankee Bill Member

I never tried it, but I heard Blu Tack works well to seal tins. Might be worth a try if you didn't want to use a jar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.