resting a pipe: bowl up or down

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by EinarsPipes, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EinarsPipes

EinarsPipes Member

I wanted to make a pipe rack, and it seems like the easiest way would be to drill holes right into a piece of wood - but then the stem would be facing down. Most racks I see have the stem facing up. Is there a reason for this? Right now my pipes are just in a shoe box, so anything has to be better.

2. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

This is even easier.[​IMG]
    I have not found it to make a difference wheter up or down. The important thing is to rest them on whatever schedule works for you. Before a pipe goes in this rack it is cleaned and ready for bed.:old:

cobbsmoker and dwaugh like this.
  3. EinarsPipes

EinarsPipes Member

Good to know. What are those pipes that aren't cobs?

4. DGErwin11

They are retired now. It took me that many to realize I was not a pipe carver. Or driller. Now I mostly stick to my cobs and a couple of meers.:old:

5. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

If you are faithful about cleaning them soon after use it doesn't matter. The traditional thinking is that condensate and gunk runs down the stem into the bit if the pipe is resting with the bowl up.

dgerwin11 likes this.
  6. DGErwin11

Just to make myself clear. The pies that go in that rack are my work pipes. I take 2 to work each day and alternate then throughout the day. When I get home, they are cleaned and put in the rack. Any pipes being smoked through the day and my home pipes are stored stem up for the reason Arkie mentioned.

7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

It really doesn't matter whether the stems are up, down or sideways as long as your pipes are exposed to open air they will dry.

Tsal, Darkly and dgerwin11 like this.
  8. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Many of mine do just fine with sideways-rest. I use a Patel/Edge box, two tiered and padded. No cigars - they're gone - pipes.

[​IMG]

9. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

I always store them bowl down to allow the excess moisture to run down into the bowl and evaporate. I think bowl up would mean some of that moisture will affect the stem and alter the next smoke..just my opinion.

10. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

.....show us some of those pies that go in the rack?

11. DGErwin11

Second post in this thread.

12. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

I've heard stems up because if the bowl is up, any residual moisture will drain into the stem. If you take 2 seconds to run a pipe cleaner through when youre done smoking this shouldn't be an issue. Now if you have any Peterson systems, definatly stems up. the resivoir holds alot of moisture that you wil have to take the stem off to clean it, but thats a different story for a different day.

13. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Open up your pipes and clean 'em out, and then don't worry about which way to store them.

14. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

If I am lazy and haven't cleaned them...I rest them stem up. A
    Actually even if they've been cleaned that's how I rest them because that's the way my rack holds them or, I just lay them flat on my desk.

DGErwin11 likes this.
  15. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

I only own 5 pipes, (a Chacom "Mozart", a Chamoy Dublin-shape, a Bjarne apple-shape, a Parker basket pipe (1st pipe ever & an awesome smoker bought in 2003) & a corncob.)

All 5 of my pipes are cleaned religiously & thoroughly after smoking & then I keep them stem DOWN in a US NAVY (hooyah) coffee mug. I only own 5, I kinda like it that way. I'm intimately familiar with them & each one gets lots of attention. Vodka & cotton ball cleaning every 6 months or when they begin to get sour. Olive oil on the stems. They're my babies. I AM however on the market for a freehand & a church warden & 2 good flake pipes.

But yeah, if you clean them religiously & thoroughly, I truly don't think it matters which end is up. Only been smoking pipes for 10 years, but it hasn't been a factor yet in my experience. Your mileage will vary I suppose.

16. jdto

jdto Active Member

I rest mine bowl-down on those plastic pipe stand thingies I got on Ebay. I also have an egg-carton for my cobs. Works very well. I do open them up and fully clean them every couple of smokes, but if they pass a cleaner, I'll usually just do that in between more thorough cleanings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.