Return to Reiner Blend 12

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by adryazad, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adryazad

adryazad Member

Hi guys,

Just thought I wanted to share my journey in the pipe smoking world.

Today marks the 63rd day of my pipe smoking journey. Yes, 63 days is just slightly over 2 months but what a journey it’s been!

It all began after my girlfriend and I spend hours looking at a wall display before finally deciding to purchase a Peterson Aran 01 and a tin of Sunset Breeze to go with it. The date was the 27th of June 2010, the very day that I turned 27.

Eagerly, I led the way to Starbucks, which had Al fresco seating, and packed my spanking new pipe with Sunset Breeze. Lit it up, puffed a little, while having an iced latte with it. Albeit my efforts to enjoy the bowl of tobacco, I walked away with tongue bite.

"Seems like this tobacco's not all that great!! So much for the recommendation from Mr. K"

*Mr. K is a friend of mine who's been goading me to start pipe smoking…
    I put the tin of Sunset Breeze aside in my room, and tried to forget about the RM 33 (USD $10) which I spent on the weed. The very next day, I went to the same B&M where I purchased the pipe and tobacco.

“Do you have a milder tobacco, preferably a Vanilla aromatic?”

The sales person handed me a can of Reiner Rum and Vanilla as in the picture below.
    [​IMG]
    Once again, I rushed home, packed the pipe with the new weed, and puffed away. Guess what, tongue bite and a sore throat followed. That very instant, I chucked the tin in a Ziploc bag, and stored it in a plastic container along with the Sunset Breeze.

“Maybe pipe smoking isn’t for everyone. Maybe I’m only destined to be a cigarette smoker”

I pulled up Google, and I found this very forum, and I’ve never looked back.

63 days, 7 tins of tobacco, 3 pipes later, I finished the last bit of my Erinmore flake. There I sat at my table while staring at my Plastic Container with all my ‘stored’ tobacco. I reached for the can of Reiner’s which I threw in there a while back, filled up a bowl and lit up. Funny how things appear so different, when we slow down, sip slowly and enjoy the bowl while it lasts. Pipe smoking is absolutely an activity to be enjoyed while laid back.

Vanilla, Cavendish, not much Rum (but I was never a rum drinker anyway so I can’t tell).. but it tasted so much better than the 2nd day of my pipe smoking journey. A tin of tobacco which I initially thought I hated, I’m starting to love again. Will I buy it again? Most definitely, a calming smoke, tolerable to enjoyable rooms note. Gentle when sipped slowly, and if I may say, delightful if enjoyed with a huge cup of Iced Black Tea.

Cheers,

Adry

2. Joew

Joew Member

I'm new to this and thankfully hav'nt had toungue bite yet(Knock on wood) but the back of my thoart had been a little scratchy. I have slowed down some since I started but think I'm still worried about keeping it lit more then enjoying what it is I'm tasting. Hopefully like you in about 2 months I'll get it down and will be able to really enjoy this alot more. thanks for sharing your journey and I'm curious if you tried the sunny breeze again? I'm looking at ordering some.

Joe

3. adryazad

adryazad Member

Unfortunately, i couldn't return to Sunset Breeze, because I accidentally left the Tin out of my Container, and i suspect it may have come in contact with some aerosol Insecticide when i sprayed my room to kill them mosquitoes.. but based on the reviews and the following here.. i suppose you couldn't go wrong!

4. Joew

Joew Member

Bummer on the breeze. :cheers:

5. Jonny

Jonny Member

It takes about 20 full bowls in a pipe to start the cake, so that may be partly why your enjoying it more! Also sipping helps alot but, how you exhale and how long you keep the smoke in your mouth for matters also. Try experimenting with exhale techniques!

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Man.... it took me probably 15 years to get where you are. I think I always liked some parts of pipe smoking, but actually getting to where I wasn't smoking too hot or packing too tight or too loose, and always buying tobaccos that smelled good in the tin and smoked horrible... I suspect that the real turning point came for me with a tin of MB Mixture. It really beat me up, and I guess I probably hit some or other forums about the same time, and kind of got things under control. When I figured on a couple of things, the main being that no matter what tobacco says on the tin, it is going to taste something smoky. Wonder why???

Once I got that in my head, and starting enjoying the flavors that were there, instead of trying to force/find flavor that wasn't, it changed my appreciation for the pipe and really solidified my enjoyment of the hobby. I think there was a reference to the "honey on toast" flavor, and I had totally missed it in Mixture, puffing away. And when I slowed down and sought that out, and got it.... A-ha!

But it took years for me to get the technique and the palate enough that I could actually taste what I was "supposed to taste" - so I envy you, Adry - you got there much faster!

7. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

I was lucky i guess when i started smoking a pipe about 7 months ago, i got bad tongue bite cause i smoked so fast, but it was my older brother always smoking a pipe that got me into it, so i had him to "coach" me and let me know why i was getting the bite. He showed me the proper way to pack a bowl right off, the char light method which i still use to this day. Like i said i was one of the lucky few to have someone there that had the experience to help, i only wish every new pipe smoker could have that. If they could all find this site they could cause this place rocks!!!!! But unfortunately some pick up the hobby with no instruction get burnt and through it away and never return, just sad :bbq:

8. adryazad

adryazad Member

Heh Sas, I can't pick out alot of flavors yet, but was merely amazed that I was missing out on so much when I puffed on the pipe like a cigarette. So with all the advice from youtube, and of course this forum, i slowed down, like extremely slow..to the point that some my pipe went out.

but like what bubba83 says, i just hope some newbies don't give up because they don't get it right the first few times.

*wonder if they're any barbeque chicken tobacco's. would go with the smoky taste bit!

9. Tas Gunsmith

Tas Gunsmith Member

.......YES

10. soundlzrd

soundlzrd Active Member

Like SAS I too am envious of how quickie you caught on and figured things out. I bought my first pipe, a nice Boswell, 6 years ago and after getting the quick how to from the local b&m I was headed home to try it out. Oh how I wish I had someone to coach me. Even a local shop where I could have gone and sat with my pipe to get help.

Thankfully after a 4 year rest of the pipe I picked it back up. I also have shops, and this forum, where I can go learn and help coach new pipers.

Congrats on figuring it all out! And welcome to what i am finding to be a knowledge and generous community.

11. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Adry's experience is why I always say to new guys to go for a medium strength tobacco rather than a mild to begin with. Erinmore Flake worked as its a stronger, slower, cooler smoking tobacco than the Sunset Breeze for a beginner.

I suspect most of us got tongue bite in our early days simply because we puffed away furiously like demons jsut to get the pipe to go and stay in. It usually takes years to get really consistently good with all aspects of the pipe - in my own case it took about five years before I could guarantee to fill a pipe without it jamming up on me or smoking wet because I'd tried to get too much tobacco in there and packed it too tighly.

Sunset Breeze, I think is a lovely tobacco as is Sweet Killarney and Sherlock Holmes, but I really feel they are indoor tobaccos that need to be sipped and taken really slowly to get the best out of them and to avoid the dreaded tongue bite.

Really glad it's going well for you and you've got this far so quickly!

Best to all

Gerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.