revelations are plenty in the pipe world.

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by craig, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craig

craig Active Member

Hey guys hope your all well.

So yesterday i posted on here about how good g&h balkan mix was in a alco, and my god was it good.
    Basically from the get go i have had a pretty good idea what my tastes where and what they were going to be, the occasional bit of sweetness ut predominantly savoury smokes (vapers mostly) and i have been pretty stuck in my ways.

the first time i tried balkan mixture when i first opened the pack, tbh i thought what the .... is this, i intantly recoiled back in horror but persevered i loaded straight from the pack and puffed away like a freight train and my cob became blisteringly hot, my tongue was nuked and i was quite sick physically and swore off balkans and anything remotely containing latakia.

But as i got into pipe smoking honed my techniques and started fully enjoying and immersing myself into pipe smoking i thought give it a try again.

tried it in a cob and although it tasted better after some drying it still got quite warm, tried in a clay was loads better but with the full flavour being delivered through the clay it was quite overwhelming still at times.

and then yesterday it was perfect the flavour was a tad muted but in perfect proportion and the briar adding its delicate touch of sweetness it was the perfect smoke, not a hint of it getting even slightly over warm, cool tongue and just a gorgeous smoke.

It just goes to show what a few months can bring, so now im on the look out for similar mixtures so i think this new found success is going to cost me in the long run haha happy days guys

2. phinz

phinz Active Member

I had the same thing happen with Irish Flake. It was only the second flake I'd ever tried and it destroyed me. I was stoned for hours, sick as a dog and miserable. I finally reopened that jar last week, dried some out and stuffed a cob. It was amazing.

Spillproof and RTOdhner like this.
  3. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

I did basically the same thing, poor technique caused me to avoid Latakia for a few years, two months ago I got a sample that has me looking for more.

4. craig

craig Active Member

Yeah that's the reason i have avoided the irish flake because of the overwhelming strength maybe in the future i might try it but not any time soon

5. craig

craig Active Member

Thats good glass iit will never take the top spot but i will certainly be trying other lat mixtures im going to be making my own blend soon and i think lat will make an addition

6. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I freely admit, my first exposure to Balkan blends (Balkan Sasieni) didn't impress me whatsoever. But after several bowls and a proper smoking cadence, I realized very soon after how incredible a Balkan blend actually is. I'll make one more candid confession, I don't see what all the hoopla is with Sobranie. I've smoked other Balkans that were much more interesting and complex. I do find Balkans more appealing in cobs and meers than briars though.

7. craig

craig Active Member

Well the G&h balkan mix is supposed to be a close match and some smokers evwn prefer it over the sobranie according to the tobacconist i use. Never smoked a meer i would probably get peeled alive if i bought one haha might look for one in crete though

8. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

it may be difficult Craig! - the last time Iwas there (around three years back) - I lost a pipe, and looked around for a replacement, eventually I found a little back street store that had some cobs, I bought a long-discontinued 'Patriot' with a bamboo stem!.....but there was not much else on offer on that island.
    OT

9. craig

craig Active Member

Aww no aww well it was worth a try lol cheers for the heads up though ted as long as i can get hold of some decent pipe and rolling tobacco ill be happy

10. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

The biggest revelation I've had is probably more of an epiphany: I just don't care. Lemme 'splain...

I started out pipe smoking honestly enough, but along the way I became a horrible pipe snob - and a pretty ignorant snob with quite the undeveloped palate at that. I chased whatever pipe or tobacco that the "real" pipe smokers smoked, and pronounced them capital pipes and tobacco. Too bad I didn't have a clue what I was doing, but I sure convinced myself that I was a discriminating smoker... and oh how I sneered at lesser pipe smokers. (What a clueless little jackass was I).

One day, about two years ago, I realized that I preferred utilitarian pipes like cobs and Petes, and I preferred basic blends like SWR, MacB London Burley Blend, and Presby Mixture. This is nothing against those who legitimately prefer high-end pipes and more exclusive blends, it's just that I don't prefer them. I appreciate them, and from time-to-time I even partake of them and enjoy them when I do... but I just don't prefer them. And I really don't care what anybody else thinks about the types of pipes and blends that I do prefer. I generally just want a simple bowl of tobacco, and it is in the simplicity of a cob, a Falcon, or a Pete and some SWR or MacB Golden Extra that I find the most enjoyment and comfort.

And on that note, I think I'll fill a cob with some SWR and go gather some wool...

11. bosun

bosun Active Member

Yup, do what you like. I like OTC's and estate pipes. Different strokes for different folks. I even here that some people like Chevrolets!

capt dave and brumoon like this.
  12. brumoon

brumoon Member

Started with OTC's and went the same route as RTO. Now I'm back to CH, SWR and SWRA with a few Boswell blends now and again.

RTOdhner likes this.
  13. highstump

highstump Active Member

I come from a moderate size town in south central Oregon and got started with the pipe in 1970. The only tobacco shop was Payless Drugs and they were limited in stock. PA and H&H being most available. It was only about 15 years ago that I set foot in a real tobacco shop. Once I discovered what was available to me there and on the internet (who knew this stuff was on the internet?) I went a little overboard with trying anything I could get my hands on. I still smoke my fair share of the codger blends but have a healthy cellar loaded with tins of what I would have considered "exotic" a few years ago. Now they are "must haves".

14. KleinToit

KleinToit Member

It's funny how you tend to circle round back to where you started. My first tobbacco was a "beginner's blend" that the store sold where I bought my first pipe. I was on vacation at the time, and now even though I love my Lat blends, everytime I get to go there, I buy a pouch and light it and just get that "I'm home" feeling

15. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

A billiard and a bowl of SWR is all one needs to enjoy pipe smoking:th1:

16. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Fixed that for ya Cobb.

cobbsmoker, highstump and Brit abroad like this.
  17. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Did I need to spell that out for ya?:xd:

Spillproof likes this.
  18. capt dave

capt dave Member

i picked the pipe up over christmas, for the first time in ten years. still had my old estate gurgly peterson in the basement. i started ten years ago with local shop aromatics, this time my first love was FMC. but from that i learned that i like small to moderate amounts of lat. and on to english. squardron leader is nice. but i'm a captain and spend three quarters of my time on earth out to sea, so had to try navy flakes, now i love PS LNF & LTF. so now i like flakes cause i can smokem outside better. there is so much out there and just when i start to really like something i want to try what someone else likes....here we go again. its a fun jouney, don't get me wrong, but at some point time and cash flow dictate you just got to stick with something you like for a while. now as you can read from my post on SG choco. flake thats my goo goo for coco puffs of late, and i know the whole while that if i just tried bob's choco flake i'll like it better... but i'm not gonna. cause i'm happy right now, and thats what its about. the same reason i'm not gonna open that tin of esudo for the first time yet, cause i like my flakes where they are at the moment. it is an exercise in patience, and i'm trying. and its fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.