1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Rotation / quantity and underratedness

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ruffinogold, Aug 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I really dont have a rotation . I have a wall stand w/ my favorite 6 Kaywoodies and theyre on the wall in the bedroom . I have a stand on my piano that holds 6 cobs . I have a brass pipe stand that has a fox on it and holds one pipe .. the pipe I'm smoking at the time . The other 35 pipes are in a box [ cause I never finished my pipe cabinet at the old house :( ] . I'll take a half dozen , at most , pipes out of the box and put them in my Pipe tobacco blend cabinet . I'll smoke those pipes for a while .. at least 2 weeks and sometimes a month +- . I like to do it this way because I get to smoke the six pipes in the cabinet alot . If I kept all my pipes out , I dont think I'd smoke each one as much . The cool thing is I always have my favorite Kaywoodies and a bunch of cobs out . A long time ago when I had 3 or 4 pipes ... Yeah , I rotated and it was a good idea . About 15 years ago I had over 200 pipes in my personal collection [ a perk from buying collections as a shop owner ] and I can honestly say that a good number of those pipes were smoked only a few times . I had a ton of high grades of Traditional and freehands shapes . In the late 90's I took out the pipes that smoked the best and gave away and sold the rest [ my uncles pipes dont count ] . I ended up w/ a dozen pipes . Most of them werent high grades . Only three were freehands . Since then , I look at a shape and buy a pipe that I think I'll enjoy , off ebay mostly . I've gotten some old pipes , like Whitehalls and Marxmans , that are cheap pipes that smoke off the map . Sometimes I'll get a cheap pipe and it just smokes ok , but I'm finding that the odds have been good for ebay scores . Tell ya what , I bagged an old pipe marked " Jet " France ... it's a large thick walled billiard that is unreal ! I also bagged a Hilson Mondial Meer lined Chimney that is about the best pipe I've smoked , next to my ancient Gourd Meer ... it's the limit ! Anyway , The high Grades will get you a good or better smoker 99 % of the time . The cheaper old pipes I 've gotten are good or better about 75 % of the time . High grades arent over rated so much as cheaper pipes are underrated . I think the older Kaywoodies are the best pipe for the money in the world . I'm also starting to learn that a Grabow pipe w/ a filter is super freakin nice . It's nice to know that you dont need to be rich to enjoy the pipe as much as a rich person . If I didnt have so many pipes , I'd want to at least have a dozen . It just sounds cool :th1: Are you guys like me or do you systematically rotate your pipes ?

Kiowapipe, Spillproof and Ted Vig like this.

2. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

I just counted my pipes. I have 61 pipes right now. I thought I had less... Just by looking at them, I want to get rid of at least 18-21 pipes which are not getting smoked. Even then, 40 is still too many pipes. How did I end up with all of these pipes?

The most expensive pipe I bought for 105USD brand new. Right now I see no reason to get a more expensive one. I don't need to, I am perfectly happy with my pipes. The smoking enjoyment I get is satisfactory for me.

Edit: To answer the question, no I don't have a rotation. I stare at my tobacco blends, I pick the blend I want to smoke, and then the pipe to go with it.

ruffinogold likes this.
  3. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I just grab the pipe that looks appealing to me at the time that I want to smoke. I have no real set rotation. I do have over 30 pipes and I need to thin them out some. I would like to sell or give away about 10 of them.

AussieTX and ruffinogold like this.
  4. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

No Specific rhyme or reason here. I have my half dozen that I smoke all the time and others that I pull out occasionally. I'm up to 31 so far and only 1 or two are "high grade" pipes (and those would be at the lowest end of that spectrum). The ones I smoke all the time are pretty reasonably priced pipes. It seems to me that much like different blends, different pipes have to be "learned" to some extent. Some are immediate, others take some tinkering. So long story short- no specific rotation.

ruffinogold likes this.
  5. ruffinogold

"Different pipes have to be "learned" to some extent." ... TedVig

Bingo ! Aint that the truth .... I've had to learn my Dr. Grabow Freehand pipe the other day ... it's way cool

Dondi and Ted Vig like this.
  6. Hudson

Hudson Member

I've got almost 50 pipes now and smoke 2-3 bowls a day each in a different pipe. I definitely have some favorites but even they get lots of rest in between.

ruffinogold likes this.
  7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I usually have about 6 or less cobs or briars in active rotation at any given time, the rest are boxed, they all manage a day or two of rest between uses.

ruffinogold likes this.
  8. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I sometimes pick a pipe and then the tobacco that goes with it. Other times I pick a tobacco and the pipe that goes with it. I try not to smoke a pipe more than two days in a row to let it dry out.

Monkey, ATXPipe and ruffinogold like this.
  9. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

I own a total of 12 pipes at the moment but I only smoke 5 of them. I smoked the others when I got them and the 5 I smoke now are the best smokers of the bunch. I doubt if I will buy anymore pipes anytime soon. 5 smokers is enough for me and I'm not a collector. I have to think too hard if I rotate more than 5. Lately I have been thinking about retiring one and just having 4 smokers in rotation.

My Dr. Grabow Duke is my dedicated aromatics pipe. I don't smoke aro's that often but when I do I always enjoy that little Duke.

ruffinogold likes this.
  10. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

I've done a good bit of acquiring and a teeny bit of selling/donating. Probably have about 40 now. I can definitely be a pack r... er... collector and have always loved my collections. Every now and then I try up get more practical, and I'm seriously considering it with the pipes. I try to smoke about half with some regularity. I have about 8 I'm ready to find new homes for, but could probably work that up to 12 or even 18. I just need to bite the bullet and do it.

ruffinogold likes this.
  11. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

I'm up to 10 pipes and a hand-full of cobs/MM Hardwoods. I've stared longingly at so many pipes, but I always wind up buying more tobacco instead. I've got this voice in the back of my head that always says "for the price of that pipe, you could buy some (insert blend name here) as well as some bulk (insert bulk blend name here)." So my cellar is far larger (wide rather than deep) than my pipe collection.

ruffinogold likes this.
  12. ruffinogold

Both you guys are about the sanest of anyone on the forum .. the rest of us are a bunch of :loser: ...... :)

Basil Meadows and ATXPipe like this.
  13. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

:bdance: :wedg: :bing:

What are you saying John? That we are like a big frat party? :rolleyes:

ruffinogold likes this.
  14. ruffinogold

Yup ... a bunch a pipe smokin morons . I'm glad theres guys like ATXpipe and Tony to make the rest of us at least seem respectable :cool:

Tony Malerich likes this.
  15. ATXPipe

ATXPipe Member

And we're grateful for guys like you to egg us on...we all know it's only a matter of time 'till we have 30-60 pipes sitting around in boxes.

16. ruffinogold

Yeah , cant be helped .... we're so weak . I look forward to the Whitehall Apple I got for 5 bucks on ebay . How sad is that :( lol

ATXPipe likes this.
  17. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

This makes me want to buy a pipe.

18. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

I'm in the same boat as a lot of people here, I don't have a specific rotation. I just pick a tobacco or pipe I'm in the mood for and smoke it. I do try to give most of my pipes a days rest when possible though.

ruffinogold likes this.
  19. ruffinogold

LOL ... unless youre sane , pretty soon you'll have 40 pipes :shead:

20. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

I can't argue with that at all. :) Just earlier today I was eyeballing those Savinelli Pokers that smokingpipes.com just got in. They had two and as far as I can tell, they are already gone. Maybe it's for the best. I was trying to come up with ways to move money around so I could buy one.

Yep, even though I hate to admit it, I can see 40 in the future.

ruffinogold likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.