Sam Gawith Skiff

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by fruktflugan, Oct 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

So, cracked a tin of Skiff today and smoked it in the same falcon bowl as I smoked SL earlier in the day.
    Thought that I'd make an informed comparison between the two.

Conclusion:
    They should really be named something else both of them, something in the same line perhaps. They are tastewise almost like siblings, like father/son or something like that, it's just hard to figure out who is who! :D

Skiff feels lighter and younger in some respects than SL, in other respects not...
    (to use mental pictures:) Squadron Leader is like the General sitting behind his mahogany desk in a heavy leather chair while Skiff is the young sergeant standing in front of that desk discussing with the general on what to do next.
    ...if you get at all what I am rambling about!

Skiff is a little lighter as I said. Something more easy going about the flavor. Not as deep and profound as SL is when you really savour it slowly, but similar nonetheless.
    The leather is there and the feel of a more "serious" smoke, but not entirely as bold or full-bodied.

It took me a while to analyse one of the flavors that differed, but it finally came to me at the end of the smoke. At the very bottom I got a taste of a mint:y something but not quite mint still. Like one of them pastilles that you buy at the grocery store said to be good for sore throats but is really nothing else than glorified candy.
    A little something that is there in the background, lifting the flavor and making it lighter.

Squadron Leader does not have that. It's like biting into leather clad wood (the general's chair's armrest?) and that in a really full way.
    Skiff is like biting into our imaginary general's visitors chair's leather clad armrest that someone has spilled a drop of fresh-breath-spray on.

Different but still very good.

In some respects Skiff is more like Dunhill's 965 than SL. 965 is a thinner smoke with some of that menth:yness that can feel a little tangy (but still fullfilling and tasty) at times.

Well... Skiff is very good. In my opinion better than dunhills 965 and on par with SL. Different but equally good!

So go on... Take a bite out of that leather chair now!
    -I command thee!
    :judge:

/Jimmy

2. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

I like the imagery. :lol: I was all ready to have a bowl of SL today but there was a rather destructive storm that came along and ruined my plans, now I will be thinking about chewing on chairs while smoking it.

3. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

Thanks, but that's the best way I can describe the flavor of these.

A good old smoked-in leather and dark hardwood chair... The chair for SL is a bit beefier and have more leather and more wood. Skiff is that chair's younger/newer brother with less leather padding and has a little less wood too, but someone spilled menthe or something like that on one of the armrests on the skiff-chair...

I really struggle to describe it... Menthe but not menthe. Vick's but not vick's.

And it's very elusive too. You don't really reckognise the flavor on it's own until the very VERY end of the bowl.
    It's there all through the smoke, but not on it's own until the bowl is almost completely ash...
    My limited tastebuds felt it clean somewhere in the last 5-7 puffs if that gives you an idea on how it's hidden under the other flavors.

Anyway. I'll smoke this many many times and I guess that there'll be other occasions on when to sift out this little fresh spike and pull him out into the cold light of day to be examined!
    :nurse: :pic:

/Jimmy

4. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

Jimmy,
    "My limited tastebuds"!..limited taste buds? Your tobacco reviews are some of the best I have read. The way you use imagery and comparisons are wonderful. Every time I read a review by you, I want to buy more tobacco. I may just start checking with you before buying a new blend just to get your review of it! Great reviews as always. Excuse now, I am going to have a TAD attack.

Phil.

5. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

Phil: While you're at it get some Presbyterian mixture.
    Just smoked a bowl of that and I am still too floored by it (Both tastewise and nicotinewise) to write a review on it.

Presbyterian is like a cross of gawith's SL and dunhill 965, but different than both.
    Don't let the smell stop you from smoking it though. I had a tin airing out some moisture for 2 hours and all the while my girlfriend moaned about "What's that horrible smell?!" and I replied "It's a toby I got recommended, but the smell makes me think I will NOT like it".

I was... Wrong... :groucho:

But by all means, get all four!

Here's my ranking list:
    Squadron Leader and Presbyterian shared 1:st (together with Northwoods which is fresher but less interesting)
    Skiff 2:nd (together with boswells Mild English that is good, but not quite up there with skiff)
    Dunhill 965 3:rd

Oh my... Should've used more numberzorz!

/The swedish meatball

6. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

Smoked some skiff a minute ago and I need to update my review:
    Skiff IS the mouthwash and the Vick's of English tobacco's.
    Light, a little tangy and not a very deep flavor... But it DOES make your pipe smell like English tobacco flavored breath mints afterwards.

Misunderstand me right, I like skiff but it's just a little light, young and perky. Not the profound stuff that meditates you all the way down to the deepest part of the soul.

A very good tobacco for a light dose of that yummy English flavor.

-Rule Britannia! :D

/The English Fly

7. Tsurugi

Tsurugi Member

+1

Absolutely right, love english mixtures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.