Sam Gawith's "Sam's Flake"

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by dmkerr, Aug 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I'm working on a tin of this now and it has a taste that is extremely familiar. It tastes like something I've smoked that isn't an SG product... or a G&H. It tastes like a C&D... or maybe a Pease blend. But for the life of me, I can't put my finger on it. The taste is much earthier and more oriental-laden than the other Gawith products I've smoked. Sure there's tonquin but it's much more relaxed, and the biggest flavor is that VA mixed with dark orientals, probably of the Samsun variety, rather than the incense-type (Drama, Smyrna, etc).

Anyone smoke this and have a deja vu feeling? What's the blend? Berg? Anyone?

2. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

I gotta say that I am as perplexed as you. I bought several tins of this about 7 months ago with a lb of bulk. I smoked some of it from the bulk pkg as I was jarring it up and I remember not knowing if I liked it or not. I had smoked a sample of it and thought I would like it but after buying it I am not sure. I need to revisit it and maybe smoke a whole tin to make a better judgment. Earthy is a very good way of describing it though.

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

You know, I haven't noticed that. I kind of want to try it again, but I traded away what I had before. It smells freaking amazing in the tin, but the smoke just really underwhelmed me. I think I'd like to give it another try, because there's obviously something to it that I just couldn't coax from it before. I've found myself lately thinking about it, maybe it's time to order another tin.

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

mmm....it's been a long time since I tried this one!, I think I'll get 50grams on Saturday - when I go shopping, and give it another go! :th1:
    OT

5. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Sorry, Dan, never had it.

6. bluepipe

bluepipe Member

One of my favourite blends! I think it's the tonquin bean and orientals that does it for me. Amazing blend IMO.

Maybe Embarcadero is the blend you're looking for? I have to get me some more of that too.

7. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

I opened a tin of Sam's Flake last night and smoked a bowl. I definetly get the tonquin flavor although it is nowhere as strong as 1792 Flake. But the earthy richness that developed near the middle of the bowl was the Turkish influence IMHO. Steven Books uses alot of Turkish leaf in his blends and I could taste the similar backround note. It almost made this blend more perfume like than the tonquin flavor did. It's a strange match up, tonquin and Turkish leaf.

Spillproof likes this.
  8. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I'm not getting a lot of tonquin from my tin - just a whisper. So it's like the dark orientals vs the dark VA's. And it tastes almost exactly like another blend I've smoked, but not an SG product. It's driving me crazy(er)!

9. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Do I hear a call for Sam's Flake week?
    I can break mine out tonight. Been awhile also. I remember I liked it.

10. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Doesn't taste like Russian Tea, does it?:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.