Samuel Gawith Cob Plug

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by slr, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slr

slr Member

Dense packed tobacco, plugs need to be sliced into manageable slivers or flakes then rubbed out for pipe packing. I will describe this tobacco as very moist, and resinous to the touch. It has this sweet and floral odor that some might find not too appealing. The tobacco does not taste like it smells.

It is a bit hard to keep lit, but once it gets going, it smokes fine. Keep in mind you do need to relight from time to time. But it's worth it.

This tobacco smokes slow, filling the palate with dense rich smoke. Flavors are very strong and lingers in the palate long after every puff. Flavors are bitter nuts and earthy. There is this interesting slight hint of sweetness in the background that sort of tastes like maple syrup. As for the room note, it is rather pungent some might find a bit too heavy for their noses. But I enjoy it very much.

I have to say this tobacco is pretty awesome. Highly recommend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i've wanted to try this tobacco for ages but its always out of stock when i go to order it. this review just makes me want it more lol.

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Good review by SLR - only thing is, we're well into Autumn here and my mind's running to old fashioned Brit tobaccos and this one could be a bit of a temptress!

Gerry

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Now isn't it re-branded 1792?

I guess the allure is having the ability to prepare it differently?

5. slr

slr Member

Personally I prefer flakes, much easier to prepare then plugs. But the Cob was available and the 1792 sadly was not at the time I ordered(last week). So I jumped on it. The funny part is 1 day later, the 1792 became available in bulk. If the 1792 had been available I probably would have ordered it instead of the Cob. Now that I got to try the Cob, I have to say, I would not hesitate to order again. It is an incredibly fulfilling tobacco.

6. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

That defiantly looks unlike any tobacco i have ever smoked, but you said it had a earthy tatse so is it an english? And does it have latakia in it? Cause if so ill run the other way curseing it lol.

7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Nope. It's an aromatic...assuming you like old timey aromatics. It's a VA flavored with Tonquin...a 'Vanilla-y' (Play-Doh) smelling concoction. This is assuming that it does taste just like 1792. (Only had 1792 (flake...this is plug.)

8. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

@ slr...how big was that chunk of plug in the pic?

9. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

apparently the cob flake is the same tobacco and approximately the same process as 1792 but they taste totally different (according to accounts from people who smoke both).

either way if anyone wants to get rid of some i'm happy to liberate it

10. slr

slr Member

I pound bulk maybe 6" X 5". It came as one big chunk and one slice. I guess that's how they get it to one pound. I cut it into 4 parts, easier to work with.

11. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Does anyone know where to get any of this stuff?

12. slr

slr Member

I took the smaller chunk and broke some of it up. Because it is so resinous, it is a bit hard to rub out. So I am letting it dry out some to rub out a bit more. As you can see, it is mostly dark tobaccos with hints of brown mixed in. BTW, I picked this up from 4noggins.

Also the nicotine content is really high with this tobacco so I smoke it in a small bowl pipe.

[​IMG]

13. kvv098

kvv098 Member

I have smoked both 1792 and Cob Plug and I may say they are twins. I find Cob Plug to smoke cooler but it maybe for I cannot cut the cob as fine as the flake and therefore I end up smoking larger chunks. The taste is EXACTLY the same.
    I agree that it is an aromatic, but for me it is among few aromatics I can smoke. It has only natural additives and doesn't leave any chemical aftertaste. No bite at all.

14. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Gawd!... that looks good enough to eat!

15. slr

slr Member

The small batch I have prepared has been drying out over the past 3 days. The sweet odor is now barely detectable, and the tobacco is easier to rub out to a nice dryer consistency. I gravity fed the bowl of a small GDB pipe and lightly tamped it down so the bowl is 2/3 full. There's lots of air and it lit easily.

At first light, the flavors seemed to have gotten stronger, intense tobacco flavors and more spicy then before. Aggressive puffing really tasted strong. I found that lighter puffing was more agreeable and made for a delightful smoking experience. The first half was void of any sweetness, just straight forward strong tobacco flavors. The second half of the bowl was less strong and this nice sweet tobacco flavors came through. I enjoy strong tobacco so I found this tobacco to be a wonderful experience.

Overall this tobacco is intense in flavor and strength. If you enjoy strong tobacco, you will really enjoy the Cob Plug.

16. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

is this still available at 4noggins?

17. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

nope, it sold out last week when i was putting money on my walmart debit card (to buy it).

not that it matters, cause i'll fight you to the death for it at this point.

18. mrslovacek

mrslovacek New Member

I love Plug tobaccos, especially SG Cob Plug.

However, if you really want to enjoy plug tobaccos get a tobacco cutter off of eBay.

A good tobacco cutter will slice through a plug like a hot knife through butter; thereby allowing you to get thin and consistent slices. I think my cutter cost somewhere between $50 and $60 dollars, and was worth every penny!!!

Also, you can take pride in your tobacco cutter's history, as most were made in the 1880's.

I find that Cob Plug has a more rounded and smooth smoke than its sliced version 1792. Perhaps 1792 is effected more easily by oxidation?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.