Sas, you're a bastid!!!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by pottsy, Sep 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pottsy

pottsy Member

So, on Sas's advice/prodding I broke down and tried some Club Blend. Now, I have another baccy that I really like. Way to go you crazy Canadian.

As for the Club Blend, odd smell out of the tin. Hard to describe, not bad just an odd smell. Cool cut, liked the rolled up little coin looking thingies. Packed easy, lit easy, smoked great. Had a real nice mellow aroma, and a nice smooth smoke. Looking forward to having another go at it. Maybe that will be my morning smoke tomorrow, while I clean out the garage.

Oh, and Sas, thanks again you bastid.:cheers:

2. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Well this brings the global count of those who like Club Blend to a whopping 4!!!! :roflmao:

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Way to steal my thunder, Andrew!

4. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

I have a tin of that coming from smokingpipes.com, along with a shiny new Radice to smoke it in. I can't wait! First Gerry convinces me to get a Falcon, now Sas with Club Blend... Man I'm way too suggestible.

5. pottsy

pottsy Member

That's fine. More for me. :whistle:

6. pottsy

pottsy Member

If you don't like it I will gladly send you my address. :groucho:

7. yinyang

Just because Rugs beat me to the punch...

Hey, Pottsy...

If you think you like Sas' choices, you outta try something suggested by any other member here...that way, you'll know what real pipe tobacco is like!

8. pottsy

pottsy Member

Well, fwiw. Sas suggested Club Blend to me, based on other tobacco's that I like.

9. yinyang

Aw....just foolin'. Sas is a masochist...he loves the abuse.

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Don't listen to them Pottsy. There's at least 5 or 6 people who like Club Blend.

In all seriousness, these guys couldn't tell pipe tobacco from snipped up shoelaces, so I don't worry much about their opinions. The subtleties and delicate flavors in Club are best enjoyed by the non-trollish races anyhow.

11. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

I'll give you six at best Todd!

Do the trollish races know you're ripping on em? :whistle:

12. pottsy

pottsy Member

Would the trollish races even understand?

13. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I'll just pass around some shoelaces and everyone will be happy, no?

14. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Well , I guess I'm seven . Seriously , I'd suggest to anyone to try all of the M.B. blends . Roll cake is really freakin good and you'd rarely if ever here it talked about here . Have you seen photos of the M.B. plant ... OMG it's unreal . I've seen articles on guys like H&G and germain and the like and they have the machines that go back to day one , which is probably why ya cant allways get their stuff .. lol , anyway , M.B. has this super modern bad ass facility which has quality controls that , from what I've seen , blow the crap out of anyone else ... that and their buying power keeps them able to purchase such and amount of tobacco that they really can keep a blend the same forever . I mean M.B. G.E I've been at for at least 20 years and I can honestly say it's been the same every time . WOW . Other stuff has changed , at least I think ,but M.B. products are probably the most super solid in the industry

15. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

You're bang on, Ruffino - I read on Mac Baren's site that they were having trouble making Dark Twist for awhile because they couldn't get good enough leaf. So they ran out in some places. But rather than fake it and make lesser Dark Twist, they just sat until they had the right stuff. That's integrity.

Roll Cake is magic too, as is Dark Twist. And Mixture. And Navy Flake. And Golden Extra, and Burley London.... these guys know a thing or two.

16. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Yeah! Yeah!

Oops! It's up to five now! Add Ruffinogold!! And I thought he was married to Prince Albert Vanilla now!!! :0laugh:

No. Really... smoke what you like and like what you smoke. Seriously.

:0laugh: :0laugh:

17. erickghint

erickghint Member

FTFY

18. Brian

Brian Member

I tried Dark Twist a while ago and did not like it really. So I was not keen on trying Club Blend.

Add me to the count! +1

I love Club Blend. Bought a tin a couple months ago. Love it! Love it! Love it!

I really appreciate their danish cavendish. To me, it's like a more subtle spiciness than perique and not smoky like latakia. It's a nice, clean-tasting spice tobacco for a change of pace. That's in the center of every coin. The tobacco rolled around it has a nice, natural sweetness that reminds me of the brown, caramelized outer layer of a roasting marshmallow. It's not sweet like candy, just has that toasty taste to me. Very pleasing. That taste mixes back and forth with the spicy, dark cavendish for a nice interplay of flavors.

Dang ... gonna go outside and smoke some right now. Later all.

19. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Resistance is futile. You will be enClubilated.

I find it a little odd that someone could love club and not really like Dark Twist, but they are substantially different, I suppose, even though they look very similar and share some ingredients. DT is one step more "aromatic" - a wee little anise and a bit of maple syrup apparently. I think Club is just a little straight sugar to give off that toasted marshmallow sort of taste.

You're right Brian, that "cavendish" is punchy stuff, very perique-y in some ways. It's almost like Mac Baren figured somewhere along the line that perique was gonna be tough to find so they'd just make their own.

PS the pipe in your face in your avatar pic looks like a winner. Big full bents rock.

20. pottsy

pottsy Member

Hey, welcome to the Club Blend Club!!!:cheers:

For what it's worth, Sas suggested it to me because I like Jubilee and Prebyterian Mixture. You tried either of those?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.