1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Save time cleaning estate pipes

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by lifeon2, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lifeon2

lifeon2 Member

One of the things I like to do with my pipes is open the draft hole to 5/32 so when I get an estate rather than go crazy with pipe cleaners and shank brushes and such I start with a 3/32 and work up one size at a time until I get to 5/32 I usually cut a decent amount of gunk out and I have found that it is much quicker than scrubbing them in the traditional manner. It is reaming the draft hole rather than scrubbing it. If there is still gunk it usually comes out pretty quickly.

Labman, Raffxr7 and Brit abroad like this.

2. jdto

jdto Active Member

I did that with one and the draft hole ended up nice and clean. Good technique!

Labman and Brit abroad like this.
  3. Wildcat

Wildcat Active Member

+1

4. Pipe Matt

Pipe Matt Member

If the original draft hole is drilled flush with the bottom of the bowl, how do you avoid creating a trough when you widen it?

Albert likes this.
  5. lifeon2

lifeon2 Member

Dont use a power drill just twist it by hand

Labman and Pipe Matt like this.
  6. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

You can't. If you have a pipe that needs widening (it gurgles) just go for it. Or try widening just up to the bowl (don't go all the way). And taper the stem/shank transition if you can (there are several threads on this) -- it's all about creating an unobstructed airway (with few transitions) from bowl to you.

Labman and Pipe Matt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.