1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Savinelli Dry System

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by buistd, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buistd

buistd Active Member

Hi there - I'm looking at getting a Savinelli Dry System but am unsure about how I would get on with the filters. If I had a new stem made for it would it work OK? It looks like the converters get a lukewarm response from people on this forum.

2. snowman

snowman Member

Savinelli makes a good smoking pipe, I have 4 savinelli dry system pipes and I never use the filters.

3. StoneGiant

StoneGiant Member

As a fast puffer I love the filters as they soak up excess moisture, but they're not required. I've forgotten to bring a pack of balsa filters along a few times as well as forgotten to bring the insert for non filter smokes, and both Sav's I have smoke fine without either. You really can't go wrong with a Sav, everyone should have at least one.

4. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

No problem if you do not like the filter, just remove it and no need to have the stem replaced.

IrishRover likes this.
  5. Elwin

Elwin Member

Don't worry about 'lukewarm' here. That's just the opinions of good folks with a difference of opinion.

Now when you hear the majority scream, "Dear God! Don't do that!!!", you might want to pay attention...

:ohyh:

Edit: Sorry - still morning for me.
    Anyway, your Sav should probably come with a converter and a pack of filters (Not always, but often).
    So my advice: Try them with the filter, with the converter, and without a filter and see what YOU like best.
    Might save you money on a stem you don't need.

6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I like filtered pipes, they always deliver a cool, dry smoke and keep the nasty stuff and condensation from collecting in the shank and stem.

7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I like the converters. That said, I'm not sure how well they would work in a Dry System pipe, having not gone ahead and bought one for myself yet (I too have been thinking about getting one for some time)

It seems the reservoir area would give a converter too much wiggle room, and if used with a filter would get the thing sopping wet in no time.

8. 50rayj

50rayj Member

I have 5 Savs and they all smoke very well and I honestly think they smoke just as well without the filter as with. I don't even the conversion insert in any of them.

9. Gary

Gary Member

I have 3 savs and all are great smokers. 2 of them have them accept balsa filters, but I never use them because they tend to work for only one smoke, then need to be replaced. The 'converter'' seems to serve no usefull purpose, imo, except perhaps to change the rate of draw on the pipe, but I never use that either. No need for a new stem. Sans filter and sans converter the savs are all excellent smokers and I love them all. Always a reliable smoke.

50rayj likes this.
  10. 50rayj

50rayj Member

My Savinelli Venezia 622 is the best smoker of all my pipes thus far and I use the balsa filters about half the time but I cannot tell a difference either way. So when I run out of filters I probably won't buy anymore. Just waiting for my first Sasquatch pipe to arrive and I suspect it will replace the Sav as my best smoker.

11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

The Savinelli Dry System is a discontinued line of Savinelli pipes which is Savinelli's take on the Peterson System, with a little reservoir in the shank of a bent pipe to trap moisture. They do still accept filters.

"Dry System" here doesn't refer to simply the fact that it uses filters - though despite already having a moisture trap, it does in fact accept the balsa filters

12. 50rayj

50rayj Member

I have one actual "dry system" Sav that I got as an estate pipe on eBay . Great smoker but the dang stem has that very annoying "P" lip design. Would really like a different stem. Does anyone really like "p" lips?

13. buistd

buistd Active Member

Not me!

14. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I have a Pete 68 donegal with the p-lip. I like it. Of, course everyone is different...

15. Chuck S

Chuck S Member

I'm sort of ambivalent about my p-lip'd Pete. Can't really tell if it makes any kind of difference.

If the Sav Dry System is the same as the Pete System, you probably don't need to use the filters if you don't want to. The chamber will do a fine job of dealing with excess moisture. Just remember to wipe the thing out frequently, or it WILL start to smell.

16. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

Yeah i do.

17. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

+1 on that....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.