Savinelli tobacco - any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by len smetona, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. len smetona

len smetona Member

A friend wants to get me something pipey for Christmas, so I dropped a hint that it would be cool to have the 5 tins listed on smokingpipes Savinelli page.

Did I make a mistake?

http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/savinelli/index.cfm

2. kreinhard

kreinhard Member

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I don't really ever think it's a mistake to try new tobaccos. The fact that something is hugely famous does not guarantee that YOU will like it. You could get four or five "famous" tobaccos and you might like them and you might not. These Savinelli products strike me as being similar in idea to the Peterson line - they make some aromatics, a Va/Per, a couple burleys, an English, a ... whatever the hell Sherlock Holmes is - a very broad spectrum.

I suspect that smoking blends that many people are familiar with is more "helpful" for a newer smoker, because he can report in to a place like this and say "I liked this particular tobacco but I want something that has more of an onion taste." and because lots of guys have smoked that tobacco, you have a lot of good responses. If you report in and say "Yes I just worked through a tin of Plampton's Raunchy Rampart and I'd like to find a tobacco that has the same room note but has more of the berry flavor..." no one will be able to directly help.

But for a Christmas present? Hell yes. Bring on the Unknown tins, and Yea, there will be a great smoke amongst them, Amen.

jwh891 likes this.
  4. len smetona

len smetona Member

Good thoughts, I have happily discovered that toby reviews are like movie reviews for me. How the heck does he know what I like? I am also sure that if I were to write a review now, a year from now I would probably wonder what knuckle head wrote that review hehe.

Months ago I bought a Dunhill 965 copy - I swear someone dropped a bucket of cleaning fluid in the batch. I just smelled it the other day, and it was not as bad as I remember. Hmm, a year from now I might even like it.

5. DoverPipes

DoverPipes Member

Had a tin of the cavendish a while back.
    You could wring it out like a sponge it was so wet!!!!!
    Let it sit out and still too moist to smoke. Eventually ended up blending it with some other baccys. Kind of a "kitchen sink" blend. Wasn't bad after that.........

6. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

Or you get the person whose review consists of, "If you like [aromatic/english/vaper/whatever] this would probably be great! But since I hate [above] and only smoked it because it's a hobby of mine to write negative reviews of things I have no interest in, precisely because I am not interested in them, one star across the board, throw it in the trash."

7. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

:huh: :crazy:

8. EvanWeeks

EvanWeeks Member

Quote of the day.

9. mpchem

mpchem Member

I tried a tin of the English Mixture and it was pretty good. If you like English, give it a try. Burns well and has a nice flavor.

10. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

I have the Cavendish mixture and for me the first few smokes were a bit sour like dont know if i was just off that day or what, but i have had it sealed in a mason jar for about 5 months now, i have always heard of leting toby age for a year makes it so much better so i thought what the hell, so now i will not open the sav toby for a whole year and just see for myself.

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Tobacco ..some suck .. most are good .. some are great . I'm sure you'll enjoy them . I don't think Sav would put out a bad product . I've only tried the Armonia [ the one in the pouch ] and I really enjoyed it . There's a range there between the 5 so I'll think you'll find a winner for sure . It's probably designed for the Italian palete ...

12. StevenEC

StevenEC Member

I tried the cavendish also, its ok, doesn't really stand out though.
    There are a lot of other burley/virginia/cavendish blends out there I like a lot better that are not as expensive as $10 for 50 grams.

13. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I justs picked up a tin of Savinelli Brunello on the recommendation of a tobacconist. I asked if they had anything along the lines of HH ODF (one of my current favorites)...and he threw that blend out there. He said "If you like ODF...you'll like this." My $.02/initial impression is favorable, though I can't say that it reminds me of ODF. The flavor is reminiscent of PS LTF. It rubs out easily, lights up easily, and tastes a bit fruity or something (again...along the lines of PS LTF). I'll have to go through a few more bowls to decide whether or not i think it's worth dropping $20 on another tin (got it from a B&M...hence the price).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.