saving dried tobacco from the brink

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by loaf, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loaf

loaf Member

found that my tin of squadron leader had dried out last night (i love it too much to let almost a full tin die)

i had heard of slices of potato, lemon etc rehydrating the stuff, but i didnt have any to hand.

my improvised cure: paper.

plain, white A4, cut in half folded so it fits in the tin, and dunked in water, left it in the tin overnight, awoke to find slightly over-moist baccy.

crackin.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

It really isn't hard to re-hydrate tobacco, is it? Some toby probably loses more in the drying process than otheres.... Squadron should survive. I suspect that there is more of a risk of subsequent mold, that aging a tobacco after re-hydrating is maybe a bit more dangerous (unless you used sterile water perhaps), but for the short term it's never caused me grief.

3. cigarsarge

cigarsarge Active Member

I used a paper towel dampened with distilled water to revive a half a tin of Penzance I had forgot about. Did not notice any ill effects.

4. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

The only issue I have with re-hydrating is that most of the time it's gonna get over hydrated and then you have to dry it out to get it back to where you want it. Just a big pain.

5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

..and I thought A4 was the road from
    Bristol to Chippenham? :xd:

But seriously, folks, nice idea loaf!
    I'd use this when I didn't have any
    of those "pucks" lying round.

dp

6. Jay

Jay Active Member

Used a 2" square of paper towel with tap water--worked great and no ill side effects for toby or smoker!

J

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

be careful rehydrating "in the tin" since you also set yourself up for rust. Do it in a bowl or a jar and once hydrated, go to jar and take from the jar.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

8. loaf

loaf Member

its only a 50g tin the toby came in, doesnt appear to be steel, so no rust risk, im planning on getting some airtight jars so i dont have to deal with this problem anymore and i can experiment with ageing.

9. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

There's a trick to re-hydrating...safely. Place the dry tobacco in a deep bowl...deep enough that the tobacco does not reach the top. Place a DAMP paper towel over the bowl...be sure the towel doesn't touch the tobacco! Place a dish over the towel and let sit overnight. Check in the AM. If it's still too dry, stir it up and repeat. You can kinda judge how long after the first go-round. This allows the tobacco to absorb the moisture naturally, without soaking it. Safer than allowing the tobacco to get wet.

10. fruktflugan

fruktflugan Member

I had some dry tobacco and I did thusly:

Clip off one small square of a NEW dishwashing sponge
    Drizzle some drinking alcohol over the sponge until it's moist, preferrably something without too much flavor (or whatever you want)
    Leave it in the tobacco jar overnight

The alcohol should not promote mold growth and still get the toby wet.

Don't drench the toby in strong alcohol or you'll get a Molo-toby-cocktail when you fire up the pipe! :crazysmile:

11. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'll put dry tobacco in a large ziplok and I use this large funnel with a flexable spout [ get em at auto part stores ] and put the funnel opening over boiling water [ teapot ] and let the steam travel thru to the bag while I shake it .It's not real easy or hard . Seems to hydrate with out soaking the hell out of it I guess you could over do it but It only takes a min of steam . Surely theres a better way ... I havent figured one yet [ w/ steam ]

12. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Actually, that sounds like a good idea Ruff! The steam would be pure, so little chance of mold, and with a bit of practice, a quicker way to rehydrate.....I like!

13. telltime

telltime Active Member

One tobacco store owner told me another good way was to spread the tobacco out as much as possible in a bowl (he suggested a cake mixing bowl) and take a fine mist sprayer filled with distilled water and then stir... All these sound good, but he did say stay away from the old potato or apple method. Can't remember why.

14. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Mold...fruits-n-veggies have sugar in them that can cause mold...can't remember how many times I ended up throwing away some perfectly good Borkum Riff Rum Flavor due to mold from my slice of apple...and it pretty well doomed the baccy pouch too.

Ok...the Borkum Riff was a looooooooong time ago...I've slept since then.

15. Rugbysh9

Rugbysh9 Active Member

Whew...you had me scared for a second... :roflmao:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.