Saving super dry tobacco

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Nuck81, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

I bought two pouches the other day, one was Carter Hall which was perfect, the other was plain SWR that is so dry, I would imagine a grain of sand has more moisture hidden inside of it than this tobacco.

Is there any quick and easy way to add some water back to this SWR, or am I better off tossing it?

2. el guero

el guero Member

I have had good luck putting it in a bowl and covering it with a wet paper towel. Make sure the paper towel isnĀ“t dripping wet or touching the toby and check it every hour or so until you get it to the moisture that you want.

IrishRover, Mark w4mms and Nuck81 like this.
  3. Nuck81

Nuck81 Member

El guero- Do you put it in the fridge or just sit it on the counter?

4. user1975

user1975 Active Member

I leave it on the counter myself. A frost free fridge has a tendency to dry things out if it's not sealed. Not what your looking for here.

5. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

I remember reading that a teaspoon of white vinegar mixed with 1/2 gallon of distilled water and put in a spray bottle. Then spread the toby out in a large pan or bowl, spray, cover and wait a day or so. Never tried it so dont blame me if it doesnt work!

DocB likes this.
  6. DocB

DocB Active Member

I read this as well, not sure where... I am curious to know if it works.

7. el guero

el guero Member

I just leave it on the counter, putting it in the fridge would be counterproductive. Warm air can hold, and therefor transmit, more moisture than cold air.

8. MakDragon

MakDragon Wizard of PSF

9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

My experience is that burleys and VA's come back to normal flavor once rehydrated, even if they were tinder dry to begin with. Latakia blends lose some serious "panache" and get kind of dull.

10. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Back in the old days, we'd just put a slice of apple in the pouch for a while.

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

I don't know the "factory moisture" of SWR but if you usually dry it out you could get another pouch of SWR with better moisture and mix the two together to even things out a bit.
    I sometimes do this with Dunhill 965 which is far too moist for me when fresh. I mix old and new 50 /50 and..... heaven kicks in!
    By the way: The old apple slice trick (or potato slice) could rot your tobacco not to mention the false flavour you might get. I'd stay away from that.

12. jpberg

Can you explain exactly how it could rot your tobacco?

13. shadow

shadow Active Member

Hi there!
    I remember using that trick with the apple slice many years ago: Took an apple slice and stuffed it into my pouch.
    A few days later I had white mould in the pouch which rendered the tobacco useless although the apple has been washed before.
    I know this has happened to a few people, not just me, hence the warning.:)

14. jpberg

Odd. I've done it many times, especially on certain C&D blends that I thought a bit dry from the outset.

15. shadow

shadow Active Member

Maybe it was just bad luck in my case. Have you had any strange flavour developing with your tobacco, i.e. apple flavour etc?

16. Squatch347

Squatch347 Member

I put a very lightly damped paper towel over it spread out on a plate and it has worked. I would smoke it relatively quickly though as the new dampness has brought on moldy off flavors for me.

A few tobaccos I've rehydrated (all of mine seem to die at some point since I don't really get to smoke too much) have never recovered their shine, with nicer smelling ones I've just allowed the remnants to dry in the open air in my home office as a kind of potpourri which the wife likes as well. They last much, much longer than the expensive stuff, are subtler and are much better than just being thrown away.

17. jpberg

Not that I could detect. I'd put a slice in with a partially empty 2 0z tin and let it sit for a couple of days. It would give it enough moisture to bring it to an acceptable (for me) level. If anything, the apple started to smell like tobacco.

To be fair, I've never tried this with a crunchy-dry tobacco.

18. shadow

shadow Active Member

I bet there is a point where completely dried out tobacco is just beyond "repair".:bing:
    The only way to maybe save it is to mix a bit of the old with a bit of new. I would hate to throw away tobacco.

19. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I must have purchased the SWR from the same place. It's more dry than a desert. That's probably why I don't like the stuff very much.
    I've used the bowl and paper towel trick. With the bowl and damp paper towel, I'll sometimes cover the paper towel and bowl with saran wrap. The tobacco seems to stay moist a little longer than with just a paper towel

I've also used a food container with a dampened sponge glued/taped to the inside of the lid. Both have seemed to work for me. The container deal keeps the tobacco moist a bit longer than the bowl/paper towel/saran deal.

20. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I keep a little leather pouch in the car, and it get pretty dry pretty fast if I don't smoke it up in a few days. I sometimes just put a few drops of water in it if it gets really crispy. I only keep a small amount of toby in it. If I had to rehydrate a whole ounce or more, I'd put it in a bowl and cover it with a damp towel to avoid any actually wet toby, where mold might grow.

Mark w4mms likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.