School me on Tambolaka

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Bent, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bent

Bent Member

So, I've read reviews here and they are mixed.
    Some seem to find it quite pleasant while others find it too strong in the nicotine department.

The description on 4noggins seems mouth watering, but who knows....

So, what would you compare it to in terms of something more traditional? is it as strong as a rope? stronger?

In terms of flavor, what would you compare it to? The description says burley and cigar leaf. If the cigar leaf noticeable?

To give you an idea of my tolerances, in case it helps: Strong tobacco doesn't usually bother me. Take a bowl of a rope or a nicotine high blend like Kajun Kake; I can smoke one bowl without problem and feel completely satisfied in the nicotine craving department. A mild blend like captain black, for instance, I can smoke two bowls back to back and feel fine.

I like cigars but like the pipe better. I have been tempted to buy some of the loose cigar leaf they sell for blending.

Any thoughts?

2. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

It is the strongest tasting stuff I've ever smoked as well as having the biggest nic kick. It does taste similar to a very strong cigar. I would rcommend blending it with something that was too mild or bland rather than smoking it straight.

dmkerr likes this.
  3. Thuber88

Thuber88 Active Member

Mix 50/50 with some Condor? :eek:

4. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

+1 on Arkie's post.

It's stronger in flavor and nicotine than any rope I've smoked, but it's a whole nuther level of smooth. I find ropes harsh but Tambo is very smooth. That's part of its beguiling nature - it lulls you into a nic hangover.

Burley and cigar leaf works as a description, but it doesn't really taste like a cigar. It has some cigar notes but it's just a very strong, heavy bodied, heavy tasting blend. Great as a blender for weak blends.

tungbite likes this.
  5. Bent

Bent Member

Thanks guys, I'll have to get some soon

6. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I really liked the first 100 grams of Tambo I bought. Tasted great, very smooth and zero physical effects. I loved it!

The second batch I bought made me sicker than the dickens. I tried it several times over a several month period. No go. Nausea big time with a couple of "barf fests" thrown in for good measure. Kajun Kake is like water compared to the second batch of Tambo I bought.

I lost all interest in the tobacco due to the inconsistency. If subsequent batches had been as good as the first batch, Tambo would have a major presence in my cellar.

7. RevSmoke

RevSmoke Member

Had Tambo a couple bowls and was not impressed. Strong, no subtlety, foul aroma, and like I said - not impressed.

8. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Perhaps this is why many of our descriptions are so different. I've only had a couple of bowls, and neither were overpowering to me. in taste. Nic was there, though not overwhelming. I now use it as a condiment in CH. It seems to create a smokier, nuttier CH.

9. Pipe Matt

Pipe Matt Member

Interesting what WyoBob and Pecci have said. The Tambolaka I've had was quite strong in nicotine content but it didn't feel as strong to me as other stuff I've tried (GH Brown Irish Twist for example). I quite liked the earthy, woody flavour and it was surprisingly smooth.

10. tungbite

tungbite Member

:) I really liked the bag of Tambolaka I got from 4 noggins. I smoked a few bowls every day until it was gone. I think I could actually smoke this tobacco exclusively, if nothing else was readily available. I found it a very smooth, strong smoke. It really is hard to describe. When you open the bag the smell reminds me of black tea, not tobacco. The taste, however, is pure tobacco. I miss not having some and may order a few more bags soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.