Scored me some Granger!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Pecci, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I've always found SWR to be dry, but I've never found it to be brittle. Here in little Alvarado, there are a few of us pipe smokers and Prince Albert and Sir Walter are big sellers so neither sits on the shelves long enough to go stale. Anyway, I've never noticed a brittleness to SWR, or inconsistent aroma or flavor. I just open the can and leave it sit open for a day or two so that the propy glycol airs-out, then I move it over to my toby jar and drop one of those little round humidifier thingies (pre-soaked in distilled or spring water) in there. Leave it closed for a day or two. Re-open it, re-soak the little round humidifier thingy (yep, that's a technical trade term), and go from there.

I've never had a problem with Granger (or Prince Albert, or Carter Hall, or Velvet) if I "cure it" in the method just mentioned. I think Granger is one of the best tobaccos on the market, and I think that if properly cured it holds it's own against many a "premium" blend. It's beauty is in it's simplicity and straight forwardness. The same could be said about any of the old-time OTC blends.

I've got a Ruger SR9C on lay-away right now, so I don't have a lot of spare cash available. However, once I get that paid off I plan on buying some cans of Granger, Sir Walter, and Carter Hall to add to my cellar. Life is good...

2. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

We REALLY think alike. I got my SR9 last year...

3. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Sweet handguns they are, and since they're Rugers they're built tougher than a three dollar steak. I generally stick to handguns that I can pocket carry like my Bersa Thunder .380 or Taurus Model 85 snubby, but the SR series has gotten such great reviews that I just had to get one. I've got a CZ-82, which is the Czech's perfected version of the Makarov. Another great gun but way too bulky and heavy for pocket carry. However, it's a hoot to take out on the range, and it's the only gun that I've ever been able to cut the center out of a target with.

Pistol packin' pipe smokers - we can't let Sherlock Holmes and his "Bulldog" get all the credit, now can we. Ain't life grand?

4. Edlj

Edlj Member

I bought a tub of Granger about a month ago. Had never tried it before. First bowl was nasty. Second bowl was nasty. Sent a few ounces to a friend and then let it set. Couple of weeks later I figured what the hell and tried it again.Not so bad! It seems to get better with each bowl I smoke. This tub was a bit damp for me and I had let it set open for a while. Maybe "airing" it helped? Even though it has gotten better,I probably won't buy any more. No as long as I can get CH,PA and SWR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.