Scored Two tins of Balkan Sobranie... Now what?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Domminigan, Jun 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Domminigan

Domminigan Member

First off, a pic:
    [​IMG]

I picked these two up today while out at an antique shop at an extraordinarily silly price. I was intending to just use them as display fodder for my parlor, possibly popping the tin and taking a test smoke before relegating the remainder of the tobacco to a jar and the tins to a display shelf. Then I searched for them online to see if I could pick up some bigger tins. Dang.
    Both tins are 2 oz and sealed. Neither has an address, only "Sobranie House, London".
    The 759 mixture has a pull ring that says only: "Pat Pend".
    The Virginian No 10 has a cutter top.
    My problem is that I not only don't know how to determine the date on either of these with the missing address, I also don't know if I should hang on to them sealed and await the time when my pallette is worthy, just turn around and sell them, or pop them, smoke some and jar the rest.
    So on to my question is this: Are these things really as tasty as their resale price indicates?

JimInks likes this.

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Dude , unless you don't like that blend , you jump in circles of joy .. pop it and smoke away ! Jar the rest for later . Plus , you want to pop them to make sure theyre in decent shape . If theyre a bit dry .. start hydrating for storage when it's ready

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
  3. Rickpal14

Rickpal14 Member

Sounds like way too much trouble for ya Dominnigan!!! I suggest you send them to me and I will figure what to do with 'em!!!

4. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

I've never had Balkan Sobranie, but I have had Balkan Sasieni which is a beautiful softly balanced English blend that is truly an elegant smoke. It is in my opinion the best English blend I've ever had. The Latakia is right there, but it's soft and buttery and not really very smokey. Beautiful Orientals and Virginias, I don't know what exactly is in it, but I love it. Vintage Balkan Sobranie is supposed to be way better. OMG!! Smoke it, love it, jar it, hoard it forever. Enjoy your fabulous score. Congratulations.:D

P.S. Maybe someday if you're feeling generous, you'll send me a sample. :byg:

WrightwoodJohn and JimInks like this.
  5. furious

furious Junque collector

Great finds!! By all means open and savor in your best pipes.

WrightwoodJohn, JimInks and Rickpal14 like this.
  6. JimInks

JimInks Active Member

They're only worth two bucks a tin, but I'll be generous and offer $4.25 for the pair! :rolleyes:

YAPPG and WrightwoodJohn like this.
  7. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Well-Known Member

Amazing score. I've never had the priviledge to try either but they certainly have a cult following and can command hair raising prices.
    So..eh, where is this antique store:D

JimInks and YAPPG like this.
  8. YAPPG

YAPPG Member

Geebus! If I had of found those like he did, i'd still be wearing wet pants. What a find. Just how silly was the price if you don't mind? Those old puppies will taste like buttah!

WrightwoodJohn and JimInks like this.
  9. Domminigan

Domminigan Member

I paid $7 for the pair, $3 for the Virginian and $4 for the 759. I usually buy empty tins at $10 or more each, so I was quite happy with the price.
    I'm sure I'd have been in wet pants had I known what I was buying. Checking online prices about made me lose it as it was!
    I'm still stuck on the dates. They have to be older than 1978, as they are in ounces, but I can't tag it down better than that, and I can't find any better information on "Sobranie House" where the address should be.

Better photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

YAPPG and JimInks like this.
  10. YAPPG

YAPPG Member

Mojo will know. He should be along shortly. There is a tin/address chart somewhere, but I couldn't tell you where. I would have guessed between 1980 and 1990. I've no knowledge of the dates really. Jar em and smoke them and make them last a long, long time. I had some 30 or so year old not too long ago and it was still great. Not as strong or harsh at all, just smooth fragrant smoke. IMHO there is nothing like it. Grats on the find.

11. Terry292

Terry292 Member

The Balkan Sobranie #759 mixture was introduced in approximately 1970 in cutter top tins and transitioned to pull tabs around 1972 -73, or so. In 1978, Great Britain moved from English measurements to metric, but tins in inventory were probably used until the supply was exhausted. Your #759 can't be any older than 1970, the year of its introduction, and may date from around the end of the 70s.

The Virginia #10 is more problematic. Jon Guss addressed the subject of dating Sobranie tobacco tins here: http://www.apassionforpipes.com/vintage-project-publications/ The Balkan Sobranie essay is the second one down. I tried to copy and paste the pdf file, but my computer isn't co-operating tonight.

Hope this is of some help to you.

One word as to what you should do with it: ENJOY. I'd almost give my first born (almost ;)) for a vintage tin of the 759. It used to be one of my go-to tobaccos, and we always thought it would be around forever. What is it they say about hindsight?

WrightwoodJohn and YAPPG like this.
  12. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Or you could sell 'em for stupid money and buy a whole boatload of good tobacco. Just depends on how bad you want to try them.

One of two things will likely happen. Either you pop them open, love them and they are the very best thing you ever tasted and you'll never find another blend that comes close leaving you always looking to find something to scratch the itch. You have a few smokes and it is gone forever, never to be replaced. Or, you smoke it and it is meh, just another legendary blend of days gone by that is very good but not like unicorn tears good in which case you'll kick yourself for not selling them for stupid money and buying a bunch of great tobacco that you can get more of.

YAPPG likes this.
  13. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Oh, and congrats on an incredible find. Better go back to that shop and see if there are any cheapo pipes with Dunhill stamped on them.

Coastal Bend and YAPPG like this.
  14. buistd

buistd Active Member

For the price this stuff sells for, I would sell it. People pay silly money for that stuff, so you could probably earn enough to buy 2 years worth of tobacco.

Rodfather, YAPPG and MikeInMaine like this.
  15. Pipe Matt

Pipe Matt Member

YAPPG likes this.
  16. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

If they didn't rust through the "real" BS 759 is very valuable. The late John Loring, student of pipes and friend wrote this piece on dating English tobacco tins. You'll never get an exact date but an era. :confused:
    http://loringpage.com/PipeArticles/tobdatepaper.html

YAPPG likes this.
  17. YAPPG

YAPPG Member

+1 This is a very good point! :toast:

18. YAPPG

YAPPG Member

I smoke a lot better tasting lat blends made these days as compared to what the taste is now of the old. It is good, but it's more the fact that you would be trying something you can expect not to be ever tried again. Having tried that old stuff, I think id sell to fund future TAD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.