Scraps can be be good too!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BradNTX, Jul 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

A few years ago, I started a scrap jar. I'd put the remains if a tin an jar, that wouldn't add up to a full bowl in said jar without much thought. Some smoked fair and some were terrible, but I had no great smokes. Considering I didn't keep scraps of blends I didn't like to start with, I was surprised at first.

About a year ago, I changed my strategy. Instead of a large catch all, I keep a couple of small baby food jars for specific remnants. Or I leave the partial bowl in the original jar and mix it with another specific blend of similar composition. IE- a Virginia jar, a Lat one and a Burley jar.

I've had much better results with the range improving from smokable, to good to great. Today's smoke is a case in point for a great "scraps" smoke. I smoked a 1.5 oz jar of Peter Heinrick's Special Curly down to maybe half a bowl's worth a few weeks ago. I also killed most of a tin of Escudo.

I imagined those flavored possibly going well together, so combined them last night. Together they added up to a single large bowl. On a whim, I adde to small pinches of Carter Hall. The Escudo was mostly the dust from breaking up coins, so I rubbed out the SC before combing. Once the CH was added, I mixed it fairly well.

I'm smoking it now in a Hackert spool, and the flavor is fabulous! I'd smoke it again for sure. Slightly sweet, a tad malty, with a little spice, and very smooth.

What do you guys do with your scraps?

2. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Member

I've stashed all my scraps in a decent sized jar along with those tobaccos that I've got bored with and ended up chucking in half smoked packets-worth. Figure I've got at least 100g stashed away for a rainy day when I've smoked the good stuff and have no cash left over to buy more. I've christened it the Badger's Rectum so as not to get my hopes and given it the motto "Smoked Without Prejudice".

BradNTX and Preacher1611 like this.
  3. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

I toss mine in the toilet. Literally. After reading your post though, I may do something different......

4. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I dumped all my scraps or "leavings" into a jar I call; Althea's Mixture #1 This has worked out to be e reasonably good smoke.

BradNTX and BernardLerring like this.
  5. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I usually either poor left overs in with newer stuff (if its something I keep on hand), or just keep it in a bag, and put it back in the jar with all my other samples and what not. Maybe I'll go through one day and make a leftovers mix...I think I'll call it "Mingy Conumbus Pipe Mixture"...

Preacher1611 and BernardLerring like this.
  6. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

Someone just gave a brilliant idea.Thanks

Ron

BradNTX and BernardLerring like this.
  7. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I've been dumping mine in a big mason jar. If I get samples and it's enough for 2-3 bowls and then some...the "and then some" gets dumped into the jar. It's a pretty neat smelling jar...a bit of everything (mostly aromatics).

8. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I do the same. I have a big jar and put the bits and pieces in it as I empty a tin or pouch, and usually mix in blends that I find that I don't like. It is a large jar that is approaching full. So this morning I gave a good shake to mix everything and loaded a pipe with the mixture.

It was amazing. Sure, the next batch may not be as good, depending on what I put in there, but occasionally........

And this is all tobacco that would have otherwise gone to waste.

bubbagump likes this.
  9. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

That's tobacco abuse.:old:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.