1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Screw-in shank vs push-in shank

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by krnspwn, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krnspwn

krnspwn Member

Question about the shank. What's the difference between screw-in and push in shank? Which one smokes better? What are the pros and cons for those two types?

Can screw-in shank be replaced to push in shank? I just hate the look of screw-in because of that metal. Also, I don't want my smoke to touch any kind of metal at all. Just wood and whatever material the stem is made out of. I guess I am just picky.

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Screw-in tenon/mortise junctions can strip, for one thing. Then you'll either get overshoot where your stem is offline with the bowl or you'll get a stem that won't tighten properly. And I'm with you on the metal. I have some antique meerschaums with screw-type connectors and I have to live with them, as that's the way they were made back then. I don't want to change them because that would devalue the pipe. But they can be swapped out for the better connectors by a competent pipe repair guy.

3. Arkie

Arkie Well-Known Member

I like to pull the stem the stem out of my pipes and "blow out" the excess condensate when the baccy I'm smoking is too moist but experts tell me to avoid pulling a pipe apart while it is still warm becuase it will stretch the tenon in the stem. A screw in shank avoids that problem but it has the drawback dmkerr described above. I had a couple of pipes repaired that had stripped screw threads a few weeks ago. One of them had stripped out so badly the stummel would fall off the stem. The repair service simply drilled out the aluminum insert in the stummel and replaced the stem with a conventional push-in type. If you do a pipe with screw-in shank, clean and dry the aluminum as soon after smoking it as possible. I got lazy and didn't clean mine every time I smoked them so moisture and residue collected on the inserts and corroded them.

4. Jay

Jay Active Member

I like screw ins for the ease of blowing out moisture without possibly damaging the tenon in a push fit pipe. Of course The screw ins are typically lower grade pipes, but they have their place in all of this nonsense. I think I have 3 or 4 screw in pipes. Grabow and K-woodies and some other no name pipe.

5. shadow

shadow Active Member

The only screw-in pipe I have is an Orlik Turbo which I got off the bay. I didn't know it had a screw-in type stem until I received it but I see it as some kind of "novelty" rather than something special. It does have a nice fit but I'm always careful when fitting or taking off the stem. It's been said before: Once you overtighten the stem it might not line up properly with the bowl any more.

6. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Many of these over-turned stems can be corrected by heating the connector enough to soften the glue holding it in the stem. Then, just turn the stem in the shank to restore proper alignment. I've done it with a few very old pipes in my collection.

Whalehead King and shadow like this.
  7. shadow

shadow Active Member

Now, that's a great trick!
    I'm not sure if it would work on my Orlik:

[​IMG]

The metal part is fixed to the stem and also carries the thread to connect it with the bowl. Everything lines up beautifully but if a problem should arise I think I might try sanding down the shank ever so slightly.

8. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

The screw ins with the stingers on my old Kaywoodies work fine for me. Never had an over or under turn problem with any of them.

9. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

i really don't mind screw in stem/shank combos--the ease of clearing residual moisture is a real benefit--

they will get out of alignment, but so far only one if my K'woodies has done that--just got old i think--i bought it in 1965

10. shadow

shadow Active Member

By the way: The Orlik in the picture isn't that easy to smoke dry because of the metal connector which is always much cooler than the rest of the pipe
    adding to the build-up of moisture!:bing:

11. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

...and that's the problem I have with stingers.

12. shadow

shadow Active Member

So I take it you rip 'em out? Which is what I do:bing:

13. krnspwn

krnspwn Member

Thank you for all of your input!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.