Seeds Started....2012 Crop

Discussion in 'Tobacco Growing Forum' started by Jeebs, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

I have all of the seeds starter now..for 2012 crop. 1st tray.. Fog Eye Orinoco Virginia, a Heirloom seeds that dates back to the mid 1800's.. 2nd tray.. Big Gem.. a Heirloom Virginia.. 3rd tray..1/2 tray Virginia Bright Leaf from my 2001 crop... other 1/2 tray.. Comstock Spanish.. Heirloom cigar binder.. & 4th tray.. 1/2 Pennsylvania Red...Heirloom cigar filler.. & 1/2 Connecticut Broadleaf... for the El- Jeeb-O cigar wrapper. If all these seeds spouts...which I'm sure they will.... it gonna be way more than I will be able to deal with.... but you just hate to throw them in the compost pile....I could probably wrap them in moist paper towel... and send them to a new home for a small f..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jay, nowsharing, IrishRover and 5 others like this.

2. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

I am so keeping track of this thread. :thu2:

MakDragon, Gary and Jeebs like this.
  3. ComputerGuy

ComputerGuy Member

Way to go Jeebs!

:popc:

Jeebs likes this.
  4. zirrow

zirrow Member

Looking good!:th1: I'm interested to see some pictures of the transplant process when they go to cups. That looks far more efficient that the little pod things I have going.

Jeebs likes this.
  5. Baccyman

Baccyman Member

I started mine yesterday. 16 varieties this year, 15 last year. I keep thinking I'm going to narrow my selections down to about 4 or so... maybe nextyear

Mington and zirrow like this.
  6. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

What are some of the varieties that you plant... and how many plants do you usually have.

7. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Nice! I need to start some that the 'big chief'
    sent me. Just been busy with other things.

Jeebs likes this.
  8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Cant wait to see the results !

Jeebs likes this.
  9. Baccyman

Baccyman Member

Well for this year, Virginia Gold, Black Sea Samsun-Maden, Izmir, Little Dutch, Yellow Pryor, Xanthi Yaka (Yenidje), Vuelto Abajo, TN90, Monte Calme Yellow, Monte Calme Brun, Karabaglar, VA312, Copan and Glessnor. Last Year I grew some various Turkish varieties, Perique, Havana 142, Yellow Twist Bud, Maryland 609, Silver River, White Flower and a few others . I usually plant about 100 to 125 plants. After they are cured about half go into the kiln, the other half get bundled up to age naturally.... but then I burn all of them..:)

Motard, zirrow and Jeebs like this.
  10. Gary

Gary Member

Jeebs, you are the penultimate tobacco afficianado. Definitely a thread to watch. Good luck!

Jeebs likes this.
  11. zirrow

zirrow Member

Can you tell me the approximates size of your "plantation"?

12. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Thats alot of different tobacco's... very interesting...Been planting 85-120 for past 5 years... but planning to increase my crop size this year... I am only set up to air cure.... would eventually like to build a kiln... after air curing..is complete... I age it for aleast 1 year before doing anything else. I mainly grow and store it for harder days... scarce & price... I look at it as planning for the future...Maybe 1 day we can talk about casing.... Look forward to your updates on your plants.

zirrow likes this.
  13. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Can't wait for the updates!

Jeebs likes this.
  14. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

You will receive the 1st El-Jeeb-O from this crop.... because you went above and beyond the call of duty in naming the Cigar....

Motard, SmokeyJoe and zirrow like this.
  15. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Why, THANK YOU! You're very kind...

Jeebs likes this.
  16. Baccyman

Baccyman Member

Never really measure it. The rows are 60 feet long with 4 feet between rows. I plant about 5 rows per year. I think the area is about 1800 square feet.

zirrow likes this.
  17. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

You're welcome... no good deed goes unrecognized.... I can't image any other name for the cigar. I jus gonna have to find a few Southern Belle Virgin thighs to roll it on..... I'm sure I can find the Southern Belle's... not sure about the other part..........

Scottly and SmokeyJoe like this.
  18. ted

ted Member

Jeebs... I'm interested in your progress. A great start.
    I'm 64 and my family, and family farm has been growing Burley since 1957. Been involved since I was 10, carring water.
    Today, I lease the tobacco plot (about 2 acres) to a young fellow that grows "organic burley" for Santa Fe tobacco for cigarettes. Our trans-plants today are grown in "hot houses" using "aquaculture". I still know how to plant a "baccer' bed" and grow plants to re-setting stage. This will be fun to watch. Maybe I can offer a tip or two..

BTW, My "tithe" for the land is 12 plants, and give those away. Still have 6 plants hanging in my barn, but they are spoken for...... ted

19. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Thanks Ted for you offer of wisdom on baccy planting... Always something new to learn. When you say organic... organic seeds and organic fertilize or are they something else to it. I been thinking lately on maybe trying to come in contact with a tobacco co. to see if they might be interested in buying leaves. Thanks Ted for the interest.

ol gto likes this.
  20. Baccyman

Baccyman Member

Hey Jeebs, How much tobacco do you have? The few places/people I know that buy/sell tobacco buy it 50 pound bales.

Jeebs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.