Seeds Started....2012 Crop

Discussion in 'Tobacco Growing Forum' started by Jeebs, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baccyman

Baccyman Member

There are no laws anymore. Once the tobacco buyout took place all restrictions on tobacco were lifted. You can grow as much tobacco as you want. You can also sell unprocessed leaf. If you are in Canada you can only sell within your Province. You could call some local Gov't Ag agencies but they will be a little annoyed at you. If I get time, maybe later in the week I'll dig up the regs and post them... but don't hold your breath.

2. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Really..........Way Cool... I've been kinda freaking out the past few days about the baccy laws, because I didn't have a clue.... all I knew was that I had a big mouth. Thanks Baccyman for the info....I gonna fire up the tractor and disk up about 5 more acres... that otta keep me busy for a while.

IrishRover, Motard, Scottly and 2 others like this.
  3. zirrow

zirrow Member

So far, this is what I've been able to determine as well, but everything is coming from somewhere like this - a forum or blog post with no sources. No offense meant to you, Baccyman - I do appreciate it and it's comforting to hear the same thing coming from different sites around the Internet; I'd just like to have something a bit more substantial when/if someone starts asking questions.

And Jeebs - you with your fancy tractor :blah: (jk, I'm just a little jealous of your space and proper tools in all honesty). It's not 5 acres, but the little area we've been tilling (48.5' x 27') with a smallish front-tine is starting to push the poor thing's limit (and possibly mine); it may be time to starting looking into a rear-tine.

Jeebs likes this.
  4. Baccyman

Baccyman Member

zirrow and Jeebs like this.
  5. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

back from the dead...seedling's are surviving...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Motard, dwaugh, Brian Damage and 5 others like this.
  6. ol gto

ol gto Member

Good news, I glad to hear it:th1:

Jeebs likes this.
  7. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

send you a few...for planting.. if needed.....out the door for now.

ol gto likes this.
  8. zirrow

zirrow Member

:th1: Looking good! Looks like it's getting time to pull out a stool and big ole' pile of cups :D Do you move all of those by yourself?

Jeebs likes this.
  9. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

That's great. Tough little plants. Ought to do well.

Jeebs likes this.
  10. ted

ted Member

Next step is the most important..
    If the plants are not "sun tolerant" they will die in hot sun..
    If you haven't exposed them to hot sun for a few hours, they will die... Once exposed... they will live forever..and will "love" hot sun.
    I want this to be successful, so be careful of sun exposer. Old 'baccer farmers treat the plants like children...
    Guess I'm and "ole tobacco farmer".... ted

IrishRover and Jeebs like this.
  11. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Great news Jeebs!

Jeebs likes this.
  12. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

That's exactly what I do. sit on the front porch with 2 big bags miracle grow potting mix.I save my cups from year to year. I'm not gonna do but about 150 plants...anything over that is to much for me to keep up with. If I had help planting, hoeing grass out and picking... I would do more.

IrishRover likes this.
  13. ol gto

ol gto Member

:drly: Appreciate the offer, but this year is maxed out with other issues - I'd never get it done:(....Thank you Sir.

Jeebs likes this.
  14. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

It's nice to see the plants sprouting along nicely.. Glad they're surviving strong!

Jeebs likes this.
  15. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Started transplanting into cups this afternoon... I got 90 done. Want to do 50-60 more...5 variety's including 3 cigar..filler, binder & wrapper. and 2 Virginia's.
    Zirrow...take a look at the pic w/seedling's..all are same age, but this is the Connecticut Broad leaf, the leaves are much larger than the rest of seedlings... gonna be some whopper's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member

Happy plants. Has to put a smile on your face.

Jeebs likes this.
  17. zirrow

zirrow Member

Looking great! Do you mean the plants on the circular table in the middle picture?

Jeebs likes this.
  18. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

N
    no..the 3rd pic..I quess you can't really tell by looking at table, but the seedling's in 3 rd pic are much larger than rest of them... that's tomato plants on the table, that I started from seeds.

zirrow likes this.
  19. zirrow

zirrow Member

Ah, you had me worried you had something else growing in your garden :hp2:

The leaves are definitely more dense than mine were at that size, and I was just looking at pictures of broadleaf - you're going to have your hands full come fall :byg:

Are you going to do any experimental pipe tobacco with some of the cigar leaf or cigars only?

Jeebs likes this.
  20. ol gto

ol gto Member

Nice healthy plants, sure glad they survived:)

zirrow and Jeebs like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.