Seeking assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, new guy here. Have a request for info/assistance from some of you more knowledgeable folks.

Scenario: I received a box of Cohiba Esplendido cigars from a good friend for my birthday. He spent a significant amount of time in Cuba over the last 4 or 5 years with work. He does Heavy Lift moves...Giant Transformers, Wind Turbines,Buildings... anyway he brought me a box of these cigars that according to him he bought at the factory. I have smoked 2 and while they were ok, cigars really dont do it for me!

My quandary is there any way of verifying the authenticity of these things? If they are legit I would like to trade them for some Pipe tobacco. If they are fakes I will give them to my brother to take to his hunt camp for the group to smoke. I really know nothing about cigars. Now my friend gets paid very well for his work and I could definatley see him paying the price for these.
Thanks for all your help. I will now attempt pictures.

Thanks Alexander. There site is not responding but it appears that these are knockoffs. Sure hope he didnt pay to much for them.

I've read that fake Cohibas abound in Cuba. 90% of the ones available in the US are fake too. One of the standard hooks is that you're buying from a guy that gets them from the factory or, "knows someone in the factory".

I deleted the pictures because they weren't loading. Someone should tell Fidel...

A new Warranty Seal has been gradually introduced in all the packaging where two new elements are to be added. On the right hand, a hologram as a security item will be added and on the left hand, next to the Cote d´ Arms, a bar code will personalize every package.

This label will always be placed from the upper left side of the box or display, leaving 3 to 6 mm from the edge and to be bending up to the front right over the center of the Cote d´Arms whenever possible.

This label will always be placed from the upper left side of the box or display, leaving 3 to 6 mm from the edge and to be bending up to the front right over the center of the Cote d´Arms whenever possible.

This Seal has been developed through a base of synthetic paper with special characteristics such as an auto-destructive feature before any attempts of removal and with several maximum security techniques added.

• Non-transferred label. Any attempt to remove it, will cause invalidation of the seal by self destruction.
  • Highly adherence of the paper (plastic) Auto-destructive, Self-destructive.
  • Scan and Photocopy Protected System.
  • The holographic band will show a bicolor text in 2nd and 3rd dimension.
  • Elements with optical variations attached.
  • Also it will enclose a micro dot only visible through laser scanner.
On the other hand, a unique bar code will be applied on every single box thus customizing every packaging. This information will be saved in a data base allowing the identification of this product everywhere, whom this product was addressed to as well as the Invoice number, amongst other details.

The fact is that there will always be a time in which both old and new Warranty Seals designs will exist at the same time in the markets. The length of time in which the two seals will coexist is not so easy to foresee because it depends on the stocks and on the rotation of the different products.

As a reference please find attached here a file of the aforementioned seal and the proper way of affixing it on the boxes, in jpg format.

In these pages, you will be able to check if the product that you want to verify is a legitimate Habanos Cigar.

In order to do it, you should access to the link to "Enter" that appears in this page, which will take it to a form that will instruct you, so that you can place the code of the product that you want to verify.
A new Warranty Seal has been gradually introduced in all the packaging where two new elements are to be added. On the right hand, a hologram as a security item will be added and on the left hand, next to the Cote d´ Arms, a bar code will personalize every package.

This Seal has been developed through a base of synthetic paper with special characteristics such as an auto-destructive feature before any attempts of removal and with several maximum security techniques added.

• Non-transferred label. Any attempt to remove it, will cause invalidation of the seal by self destruction.
  • Highly adherence of the paper (plastic) Auto-destructive, Self-destructive.
  • Scan and Photocopy Protected System.
  • The holographic band will show a bicolor text in 2nd and 3rd dimension.
  • Elements with optical variations attached.
  • Also it will enclose a micro dot only visible through laser scanner.
On the other hand, a unique bar code will be applied on every single box thus customizing every packaging. This information will be saved in a data base allowing the identification of this product everywhere, whom this product was addressed to as well as the Invoice number, amongst other details.

The fact is that there will always be a time in which both old and new Warranty Seals designs will exist at the same time in the markets. The length of time in which the two seals will coexist is not so easy to foresee because it depends on the stocks and on the rotation of the different products.

As a reference please find attached here a file of the aforementioned seal and the proper way of affixing it on the boxes, in jpg format.

In these pages, you will be able to check if the product that you want to verify is a legitimate Habanos Cigar.

In order to do it, you should access to the link to "Enter" that appears in this page, which will take it to a form that will instruct you, so that you can place the code of the product that you want to verify.

If the cuban website is up to date, your cigars are using a non-existent barcode combination, 6 digits + 8 digits. According to the site it can only be 6-6, 5-7 or 12. Therefore I can't check barcode because you have to select the digit combination first.

I see no hologram in your pictures either, so I think they're fake.

Of course, I've never smoked a Cohiba in my life and I've only the website to go by, so you might want a second opinion.

A pity. Here we joke that hunters are: "a group of drunk people wandering through the forest on their way to the pub". In other words, cuban cigars are wasted on them.

:D

Oh crap...just read my post and it sure does come accross badly.
I dont mean they are drunk or drinking while hunting. They are a group of friends that take a week or two off work to go awayhunting. No wives ie. guy time so half the trip ends up being spent partying in and around there cabins.

Oh crap...just read my post and it sure does come accross badly.
I dont mean they are drunk or drinking while hunting. They are a group of friends that take a week or two off work to go awayhunting. No wives ie. guy time so half the trip ends up being spent partying in and around there cabins.
I was kidding, my father is passionate about hunting - I've got nothing against the hobby, or hunters in general. :byg:

My best guess is these are likely to be fakes.

The second barcode number is indeed too long according to Habanos.com. Also, the seals should have been attached to the box while at the factory, the flag seal being placed 3-6mm from a side edge.

These "tourist fakes" are pretty commonly found in Cuba, but on the positive side they are very likely to be genuine Cuban tobacco, and some of them are actually pretty reasonable cigars, being either cheaper cigars re-packaged or decent "home made" ones. Others are complete rubbish.

I'd suggest trying one before deciding to give them away. OK, they're not likely to be Cuban diplomatic stock quality but you never know, they may be perfectly OK in their own right.

Incidentally, I have smoked genuine Cohiba and personally I think they're over-rated (not to mention hugely overpriced in the UK thanks to taxation). Too mild flavoured for my taste really.

Marker

They are fakes from the few pictures that help. Don't smoke them. Could be paint chips in them. Floor sweepings. Chemicals.

Cut one up. you have nothing to lose. Post pics here.

esteban

Cubans , Schubans......vastly overated and overpriced since Castro confiscated cigar plantations for the Govnmnt in early 1960s........ Many expert cigar people left for central America..... JFK banned trading with Cuba, but still got his vitolas ............

javajunkie

marker has a stellar point: dissect them. take a very sharp knife, Xacto or other razor variant, and pull it apart to check out the actual make of the wrapper, binder, and especially fillers. there has been all sorts of nasty:poop: stuffed in fakes, paint chips, twine, banana and other plant leaves, you name it.

IF they look to be entirely tobacco (and, judging from the filler shown in the feet of the cigars, they may), pull the bands off and keep them humidified. most probably separate from any other cigars you have, just in case of beetles. if storage is an issue, buy a boveda pack (65%), and use tupperware.

FWIW i have seen worse fakes, and have before had fakes that wound up being enjoyable smokes. IF you can be sure of the contents. also, at least they didn't give you a "glass top". o)

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.