Seeking assistance.

Discussion in 'Cigars' started by Jayson, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayson

Jayson Member

Hello all, new guy here. Have a request for info/assistance from some of you more knowledgeable folks.

Scenario: I received a box of Cohiba Esplendido cigars from a good friend for my birthday. He spent a significant amount of time in Cuba over the last 4 or 5 years with work. He does Heavy Lift moves...Giant Transformers, Wind Turbines,Buildings... anyway he brought me a box of these cigars that according to him he bought at the factory. I have smoked 2 and while they were ok, cigars really dont do it for me!

My quandary is there any way of verifying the authenticity of these things? If they are legit I would like to trade them for some Pipe tobacco. If they are fakes I will give them to my brother to take to his hunt camp for the group to smoke. I really know nothing about cigars. Now my friend gets paid very well for his work and I could definatley see him paying the price for these.
    Thanks for all your help. I will now attempt pictures.

2. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

3. Jayson

Jayson Member

Thanks Alexander. There site is not responding but it appears that these are knockoffs. Sure hope he didnt pay to much for them.

4. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

I've read that fake Cohibas abound in Cuba. 90% of the ones available in the US are fake too. One of the standard hooks is that you're buying from a guy that gets them from the factory or, "knows someone in the factory".

5. Jayson

Jayson Member

6. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

I deleted the pictures because they weren't loading. Someone should tell Fidel...

7. Jayson

Jayson Member

oh well. anyone interested in a handfull of knockoff cohibas?

8. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

If the cuban website is up to date, your cigars are using a non-existent barcode combination, 6 digits + 8 digits. According to the site it can only be 6-6, 5-7 or 12. Therefore I can't check barcode because you have to select the digit combination first.

I see no hologram in your pictures either, so I think they're fake.

Of course, I've never smoked a Cohiba in my life and I've only the website to go by, so you might want a second opinion.

9. Jayson

Jayson Member

Yup I saw that and am going to treat them as fake.

10. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

Use them to bribe people and impress the ladies. They won't know the difference anyway.

11. Jayson

Jayson Member

Most likely these are destined to be consumed by a group of Deer hunter while drinking vast amounts of cheap beer LOL.

12. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

A pity. Here we joke that hunters are: "a group of drunk people wandering through the forest on their way to the pub". In other words, cuban cigars are wasted on them.

:D

13. Jayson

Jayson Member

Oh crap...just read my post and it sure does come accross badly.
    I dont mean they are drunk or drinking while hunting. They are a group of friends that take a week or two off work to go awayhunting. No wives ie. guy time so half the trip ends up being spent partying in and around there cabins.

14. AlexanderM

AlexanderM Member

I was kidding, my father is passionate about hunting - I've got nothing against the hobby, or hunters in general. :byg:

15. Jayson

Jayson Member

Kk. Thanks for the help by the way.

AlexanderM likes this.
  16. ASmokingMan

ASmokingMan Member

My best guess is these are likely to be fakes.

The second barcode number is indeed too long according to Habanos.com. Also, the seals should have been attached to the box while at the factory, the flag seal being placed 3-6mm from a side edge.

These "tourist fakes" are pretty commonly found in Cuba, but on the positive side they are very likely to be genuine Cuban tobacco, and some of them are actually pretty reasonable cigars, being either cheaper cigars re-packaged or decent "home made" ones. Others are complete rubbish.

I'd suggest trying one before deciding to give them away. OK, they're not likely to be Cuban diplomatic stock quality but you never know, they may be perfectly OK in their own right.

Incidentally, I have smoked genuine Cohiba and personally I think they're over-rated (not to mention hugely overpriced in the UK thanks to taxation). Too mild flavoured for my taste really.

17. Marker

Marker Active Member

They are fakes from the few pictures that help. Don't smoke them. Could be paint chips in them. Floor sweepings. Chemicals.

Cut one up. you have nothing to lose. Post pics here.

javajunkie likes this.
  18. esteban

esteban Active Member

Cubans , Schubans......vastly overated and overpriced since Castro confiscated cigar plantations for the Govnmnt in early 1960s........ Many expert cigar people left for central America..... JFK banned trading with Cuba, but still got his vitolas ............

19. javajunkie

javajunkie Member

marker has a stellar point: dissect them. take a very sharp knife, Xacto or other razor variant, and pull it apart to check out the actual make of the wrapper, binder, and especially fillers. there has been all sorts of nasty**** stuffed in fakes, paint chips, twine, banana and other plant leaves, you name it.

IF they look to be entirely tobacco (and, judging from the filler shown in the feet of the cigars, they may), pull the bands off and keep them humidified. most probably separate from any other cigars you have, just in case of beetles. if storage is an issue, buy a boveda pack (65%), and use tupperware.

FWIW i have seen worse fakes, and have before had fakes that wound up being enjoyable smokes. IF you can be sure of the contents. also, at least they didn't give you a "glass top". o)

good luck!

20. Eddie

Eddie Member

If the seal is separate it is 99% a fake box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.